Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1024995 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #550 on: January 04, 2008, 03:58:15 pm »
I saw Starter for 10!  It's with the man of the hour James McAvoy.  One of those charming and funny British comedies, this one set in the 80s.  It's good but I wouldn't include it in my top ten by any means.

Ah, great, thanks! They had it at the local video store so I rented it for viewing sometime this weekend. I'll report back!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #551 on: January 04, 2008, 04:27:31 pm »
Two recent views:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Le scaphandre et le papillon) is spectacular and moving.  Don't be put off by the premise of the guy with a stroke.  This ain't no disease-of-the-week flick.  Max von Sydow in a small role broke my heart.

Juno.  On my way into the above film, I ran into a friend who was coming to see Juno for the second time in two days.  Why?  Because he was laughing so hard the first time, he missed half the dialogue.  Again, don't be turned off by the teenage-pregnancy theme, this ain't no after-school special!  A super performance by Ellen Page, a snappy soundtrack, zippy dialogue, and somehow manages to give every character a way out of a stereotype.  After I saw it, I ordered a hamburger phone on ebay.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #552 on: January 05, 2008, 02:44:20 am »
*raises hand*

I'll watch a good 'corset movie' any day. I haven't seen any of the ones you mentioned Milli, although I have heard of the Buccaneers. The BBC has just started showing Sense and Sensibility, a tv adaptation by Andrew Davies. It was announced as 'from the man who brought you Mr. Darcy in a wet shirt'! LOL

It was very good. The next episode is scheduled for next Sunday. Yummy!!

The other day, Pride and Prejudice, the movie was on tv. I started watching it but I didn't like it. This Mr. Darcy was bland and I wasn't much impressed with Kiera Knightly's performance either.

And in spite of the poor reviews, I think I'll go and see Becoming Jane too.

Hey Fabienne,

You may also be interested in checking out the latest BBC adaptations of these period movies ..

- Wives & Daughters
- North & South
- Our Mutual Friend
- Tipping the Velvet
- Bleak House

More later.. ;)

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #553 on: January 05, 2008, 07:29:55 pm »
I thought this was interesting

Sean Penn to lead Cannes Festival Jury

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=290835&GT1=7701

sad to see the note about his marriage ending, though
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #554 on: January 05, 2008, 07:38:20 pm »
Thanks for that info, Bel!

Today I watched "Once" in a simulcast with Louise. I have a feeling I liked it more than she did! I thought it was a very sweet film about two people who meet and connect, for a week, through their music. Lots of very nice scenes of Dublin. I enjoyed the music. A bittersweet--but real to life--ending. Not a Hollywood ending, which was nice for a change. I would definitely recommend that folks add it to their Netflix queue, or pick it up at Blockbuster, which is where I got it.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #555 on: January 05, 2008, 09:31:28 pm »
I finally saw The Savages with PH Hoffman and Laura Linney and what a wonderful film.  It more than lived up to my expectations! It has a wonderful script, excellent acting and best of all, most of it is set in Buffalo, lol!  (I like Buffalo!) 

Plot Summary: An irreverent, hilarious and heartbreaking story revolving around a modern American family, "The Savages" portrays an all-too-common dilemma: after drifting apart emotionally and geographically over the years, two siblings Wendy (Laura Linney) and Jon (Philip Seymour Hoffman) must band together to care for an elderly parent (Philip Bosco).

I may have to make room for it on my top ten list!  This has been a good year for movies because I keep wanting to expand my list, ten isn't enough!

Anyway, I highly recommend it!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #556 on: January 06, 2008, 03:02:24 am »
It is wonderful to have this resource whenever I'm in the mood to see a movie!! Thank you and keep the reviews coming!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #557 on: January 06, 2008, 09:52:48 am »
The whole family watched "Starter for 10" last night on DVD. It was, as oilgun said, a quirky British movie that was funny. James McAvoy was cute. I would recommend it although I wouldn't put it on my top ten list. Maybe top 25!

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #558 on: January 06, 2008, 06:49:36 pm »
Today I went with my two children to see "I'm Not There." I enjoyed it although I felt it started to drag for the last third. I didn't entirely get the Richard Gere part (I guess I'll have to think about it). I thought Heath was great. The scene early on, when he was in the coffee shop with "Claire" -- he looked and sounded so much like Ennis -- that might have been my favorite moment of all.

The background music was great (naturally!).

Since people know my pet peeve about smoking--once again a movie where EVERYONE smoked like chimneys. Does (or did) Dylan really smoke 80 cigarettes a day (4 packs)?? Yikes. So maybe his representation was accurate. But did everyone have to smoke so much? Sigh....

I am glad I saw this on the big screen. I have a feeling watching this on DVD, my attention would wander or I would fall asleep. In the theater, I am forced to stay alert.

L

Offline oilgun

« Reply #559 on: January 06, 2008, 07:06:29 pm »
Today I went with my two children to see "I'm Not There." I enjoyed it although I felt it started to drag for the last third. I didn't entirely get the Richard Gere part (I guess I'll have to think about it). I thought Heath was great. The scene early on, when he was in the coffee shop with "Claire" -- he looked and sounded so much like Ennis -- that might have been my favorite moment of all.

The background music was great (naturally!).

Since people know my pet peeve about smoking--once again a movie where EVERYONE smoked like chimneys. Does (or did) Dylan really smoke 80 cigarettes a day (4 packs)?? Yikes. So maybe his representation was accurate. But did everyone have to smoke so much? Sigh....

I am glad I saw this on the big screen. I have a feeling watching this on DVD, my attention would wander or I would fall asleep. In the theater, I am forced to stay alert.

L

I remember something about that, lol!  I've softened my position on that subject ever since I found out that there was no smoking in Zodiac, most of which was set in the smokin' 70s and I hadn't even noticed.