Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025173 times)

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #720 on: January 27, 2008, 05:57:42 pm »
I'm not sure if this has already been discussed. I went to see Love in Time of Cholera and I was so disappointed. I think Javier Bardem is superb as Florentino Ariza but the movie in general lacks of the passion Gabriel García Márquez put in the novel. It seems like the director and the screenwriter are not familiar with the Caribbean culture and understanding of life and love. I didn't see the point in having an hispanic cast if the movie is in English. Some of the actors don't speak it well. Also John Leguizamo is a complete miscast.

If you don't know what this story is about I strongly recommend reading the novel and not spending your money on this movie. Really.

oh, I'll be sure to avoid it (the movie) then...  (but I'll keep the novel on my list)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline oilgun

« Reply #721 on: January 27, 2008, 11:09:15 pm »
I finally watched the Irish film Once.  I now understand why it rates 97% Fresh on RottenTomatoes, it's absolutely wonderful!  Brilliant really.

Here's the RT Synopsis:
The Irish romance ONCE may be a musical, but it is miles away from the traditional Hollywood idea of people bursting into song. Glen Hansard (frontman for indie rock band The Frames) plays the guy, a street musician who is playing for change when he meets the girl (Marketa Irglova), an immigrant from the Czech Republic. The pair immediately bond over their shared love of music (he is a guitarist, and she plays the piano), and the film chronicles their tentative relationship. Both are weighed down by plenty of baggage: his songs are fueled by a painful breakup, and she is a young mother who left her husband behind in her native country. Like the independent favorite BEFORE SUNRISE, ONCE is a simple, sweet drama that doesn’t rely on an elaborate plot. With its use of digital video and handheld cameras, ONCE matches its spare visual style to its intimate mood. Each moment feels stolen from real life, and the story is at once familiar and fresh. Driven more by music than by dialogue, ONCE features a stirring soundtrack of heartfelt indie rock sung by Hansard and Irglova. Before his foray into film, director John Carney (ON THE EDGE) played bass in The Frames, and his passion for music is clear in this modern musical that hits every note perfectly.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #722 on: January 28, 2008, 01:15:57 am »
Oilgun,

Fantastic new signature!

It is now on my to-do list to see every single one of Daniel Day Lewis' films... and to not ever think another less than good thought about him ever again.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #723 on: January 28, 2008, 10:33:06 pm »
Oilgun,

Fantastic new signature!

It is now on my to-do list to see every single one of Daniel Day Lewis' films... and to not ever think another less than good thought about him ever again.

B,

Definitely check out "My Beautiful Laundrette".  Great film.  :)

Offline oilgun

« Reply #724 on: January 28, 2008, 11:53:19 pm »
Oilgun,

Fantastic new signature!

Thanks!

Here are some clips of DDL in My Beautiful Laundrette (8:01min.):

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKup9VLuM5U[/youtube]

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #725 on: January 29, 2008, 09:33:42 am »
I finally watched the Irish film Once.  I now understand why it rates 97% Fresh on RottenTomatoes, it's absolutely wonderful!  Brilliant really.

I watched it a few weeks ago and I loved it too. That may be a good one to watch again and try to cheer myself up. I loved the music.

One of the songs was nominated for an Academy award. I so, so, so hope it wins!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #726 on: January 29, 2008, 09:43:37 am »
I watched it a few weeks ago and I loved it too. That may be a good one to watch again and try to cheer myself up. I loved the music.

One of the songs was nominated for an Academy award. I so, so, so hope it wins!

L

The film really was a good tonic.  As for its nominated song, Falling Slowly, I hope it wins too but of course they'll probably give it to Happy Working Song from Enchanted  ::)  :laugh:

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #727 on: January 29, 2008, 10:58:48 am »
The film really was a good tonic.  As for its nominated song, Falling Slowly, I hope it wins too but of course they'll probably give it to Happy Working Song from Enchanted  ::)  :laugh:

Three of the five songs are from Enchanted. Maybe they'll cancel themselves out.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #728 on: January 29, 2008, 11:04:42 am »
For fun, you can go to www.pressherald.com and vote for the top categories of the Oscar awards. I think it would be fun if they started getting votes from all over the world!

The link for the survey is right on the first page. Let me know if you entered!

L
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:43:55 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline oilgun

« Reply #729 on: January 29, 2008, 12:24:27 pm »
For fun, you can go to www.pressherald.com and vote for the top categories of the Oscar awards. I think it would be fun if they started getting votes from all over the word!

The link for the survey is right on the first page. Let me know if you entered!

L

Done!  I won't win though, I'm always wrong at those things.