Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1024994 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #770 on: February 10, 2008, 07:03:49 pm »
The other day, The Four Feathers was playing on TV with Heath Ledger!!

That was a surprise, since I did not know but when I found out late, I only say the last half!!

Brilliant Heath was in that movie!!

Does anyone know more about that movie?

Hugs!

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #771 on: February 10, 2008, 09:37:25 pm »
we discussed it a little bit a while back on the Heath Heath Heath thread.

did you want to talk about anything in particular Artiste?
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #772 on: February 10, 2008, 10:08:22 pm »
The Four Feathers!!

What did Heath say about his role there?

Why did HE CHOOSE that movie?

It is about muslims... taking over, in some ways!! ??

Hugs!!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #773 on: February 11, 2008, 08:16:35 am »
Am I the only one who laughed at the "bowling with God" scene?

I didn't laugh, but there was some laughter in the theater.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #774 on: February 11, 2008, 08:19:58 am »
The Four Feathers!!

What did Heath say about his role there?

Why did HE CHOOSE that movie?

It is about muslims... taking over, in some ways!! ??

Hugs!!

You can find out more here, Artiste:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Feathers_(2002_film)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #775 on: February 13, 2008, 12:36:11 am »
I found an interesting site where you can actually watch full length B movies for free.  You don't even need to register, jut click PLAY and watch.  There are some interesting titles: Carnival of Lost Souls, Metropolis, A Boy and His Dog, The Brother From Another Planet (!) and the early Peter jackson film Bad Taste.

www.bmovies.com

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #776 on: February 13, 2008, 09:31:57 am »
It's a sad day in Boston.  My local independent video store is closing for good.  They were champions of things other than the latest blockbuster:  foreign films, gay films, documentaries, "camp and cult".  I much preferred patronizing them rather than some chain store (although, they're all gone too). 

On the good side, they are selling everything!  All DVDs for $8. 

Needless to say, my library has grown considerably in the last twenty-four hours.  I was able to round out my Heath collection with Brothers Grimm and The Order; also Jake with Moonlight Mile, October Sky and The Good Girl, even City Slickers!

A few other gems included Days of Heaven (thanks, Leslie) and All the Pretty Horses.

Hello, Netflix...

Offline oilgun

« Reply #777 on: February 13, 2008, 11:00:42 am »
It's a sad day in Boston.  My local independent video store is closing for good.  They were champions of things other than the latest blockbuster:  foreign films, gay films, documentaries, "camp and cult".  I much preferred patronizing them rather than some chain store (although, they're all gone too). 

On the good side, they are selling everything!  All DVDs for $8. 

Needless to say, my library has grown considerably in the last twenty-four hours.  I was able to round out my Heath collection with Brothers Grimm and The Order; also Jake with Moonlight Mile, October Sky and The Good Girl, even City Slickers!

A few other gems included Days of Heaven (thanks, Leslie) and All the Pretty Horses.

Hello, Netflix...

The same thing just happened to me just recently.  My local specialty video store closed for good and had all its DVDs on sale.  They specialized in foreign films, documentaries and experimental.  Zip.ca (like Netflix) put them out of business.  I spent a bundle there on French and LGBT titles and even found some out-of-print and Criterion titles and all in pristine condition. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 12:31:42 pm by oilgun »

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #778 on: February 13, 2008, 12:22:09 pm »
Dreadful how ppl are having to resort to Netflix or Blockbuster.  I know Blockbuster does tailor their stores to their area's demographics.  Suburban blockbusters usually have limited fgn film selection and one gay film jumbled in with "Drama."    I was at a Blockbuster's store in the gay area of Houston,TX  (Montrose) and the gay section was titled "Community Interest."   

Rents are so high in some cities that independent video stores and used bookstores are the first to go. Can't pay the deep pocket rents that Pottery Barn can.  And we do need more "Pottery Barns."  ;)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #779 on: February 17, 2008, 11:25:55 am »
One of the gems I found at my  soon-to-be-closing video store is "An Early Frost"; I didn't even know it had been released on DVD.

I watched it last night:  I think I hadn't seen it since it came out in 1985.  Wow, so powerful, even 20+ years later.  A young Aidan Quinn, in one of his earliest performances, portrays the main character with dignity and intelligence.  Gena Rowlands was brilliant as the mother, and Ben Gazzara, although prone to overdoing it, develops the most.  I loved Sylvia Sydney as the grandmother:  "Come and kiss your grandmother; it's a disease, not a disgrace."  John Glover (today known as Lionel Luther on "Smallville") practically stole the show, befriending Aidan Quinn's character with warmth and humor. 

This film (the first to deal with AIDS) managed to educate the public and show a very affecting story at the same time.  Neither maudlin nor hopeless.  Thank God things have changed.