Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025346 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #830 on: March 06, 2008, 10:18:21 pm »
I just watched Day Zero.  It takes place in the near future, and the draft has just been reinstated.  Three young men have just gotten a notice in the mail telling them to report to duty within 30 days.  The film explores their reactions to this news. 

I think the film could have been better if the writer had worked on the characters a bit more and hadn't relied on cliches so much.  But I did like the film.  However, I'll admit this might have something to do with the fact that it stared Elijah Wood.  He played one of the characters that was unexpectedly drafted.  I could watch Elijah do almost anything for a hour and a half -- scrape gum off the bottom of his shoe, pick his nose -- and I'd be a happy camper.  He's sooo cute.   ;D

I'm a big fan of Elijah Wood, too, Gary.  His radiant, exquisitely beautiful Frodo in LOTR sent me running to the message boards for those movies.  I saw Day Zero purely because of him, and I thought it was okay but wished it were a better vehicle for him.  He's had a string of small movies since LOTR, the best of which I think is Everything Is Illuminated.  That's a movie more people should have seen; Liev Schreiber directed it beautifully.  I have hopes that Elijah's upcoming The Oxford Murders will be more successful, particularly since it co-stars John Hurt, one of my favorites.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #831 on: March 06, 2008, 11:04:25 pm »
Last night I discovered yet another young movie hunk, the ridiculously handsome Andreas Wilson from Sweden.  He plays the lead in the film EVIL(Ondskan) which is based on a popular autobiographical coming of age novel set in an elite boarding school in fifties Sweden.  It's a wonderful and qute disturbing film looking at how violence breeds violence.  It brought to mind REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE.

I just ordered another movie of his called ANIMAL by Roselyne Bosch.  In that, he plays a "brilliant young geneticist" who does DNA altering experiments on a sadistic killer in an attempt to increase his empathy and make him less violent.  Of course things go awry...I can't wait!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #832 on: March 08, 2008, 12:52:55 am »
I just watched a terrific movie, and then searched for a mention of it on BetterMost. But, how is it possible that there is no mention of this movie anywhere on BetterMost?? Can you guess? It is B...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #833 on: March 08, 2008, 01:03:55 am »
Here's a hint. A scene I snapped when I visited Times Square for the very first time last October!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #834 on: March 08, 2008, 01:06:00 am »
Here's a hint. A scene I snapped when I visited Times Square for the very first time last October!

Well, that's a pretty obious hint, lol!  BEOWULF? 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #835 on: March 08, 2008, 01:24:18 am »
Yes, oilgun, you are rite!! And I agree, that hint was as big as the breasts on Angelina Jolie's enhanced body!! I have a crying need to talk about this awesome overreaching film! Have you seen it? Are you game??

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #836 on: March 08, 2008, 01:35:02 am »
Of course, the movie was a big overarching epic (Oh where oh where are you when we need you moremojo???????)

But the main point for me was the collision between the pagan religion and the Christian era. In the end, Beowulf vanqusihed the dragon but SHE lived on....

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #837 on: March 08, 2008, 01:46:47 am »
Yes, gary and meryl, I liked Everything is Illuminated too. But I kinda wanted to talk about Beowulf tonite. Oh, Well...

Offline oilgun

« Reply #838 on: March 08, 2008, 01:53:23 am »
Yes, oilgun, you are rite!! And I agree, that hint was as big as the breasts on Angelina Jolie's enhanced body!! I have a crying need to talk about this awesome overreaching film! Have you seen it? Are you game??

I'm afraid I haven't seen it.  I'm not a big fan of performance capture animation although I hear that it's quite good in this one.   I did see the low budget Beowulf and Grendel with Gerry Butler and quite liked that  ;D

Offline oilgun

« Reply #839 on: March 08, 2008, 01:57:26 am »
I, too, liked Everything Is Illuminated, Meryl.  But I hadn't heard anything about The Oxford Murders.  I'll be on the look out for it.  Interesting title.  Is it a murder mystery?  I love a good murder mystery.  Thanks for telling us about it.

Don't hate me, but I really didn't like Elijah Wood's performance in Everything is Illuminated.  Although his portrayal of the character was more sympathetic than the arrogant one in the book.