Author Topic: A very personal account in Bent  (Read 6596 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
A very personal account in Bent
« on: March 06, 2015, 02:30:39 pm »
From Indiewire's Bent blog, here is a very personal account of Brokeback Mountain's impact on a young man:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/bent/brokeback-mountain-and-me-a-brief-history-20150305

Thanks to Bay City John for posting this.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: A very personal account in Bent
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 04:28:08 pm »
Its really interesting to hear a young person who so moved by Brokeback. Many young adults I spoke to about the film at the time were lukewarm about it, couldn't understand why the plot went the way it did, or felt that Jack & Ennis didn't resemble gay men as they understand them.  Joe Ehrman-Dupre on the other hand found the film resonant enough that it contributed to his understanding of his sexual orientation, plus it spurred him to want to study film.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: A very personal account in Bent
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:57:35 pm »
Its really interesting to hear a young person who so moved by Brokeback. Many young adults I spoke to about the film at the time were lukewarm about it, couldn't understand why the plot went the way it did, or felt that Jack & Ennis didn't resemble gay men as they understand them.  Joe Ehrman-Dupre on the other hand found the film resonant enough that it contributed to his understanding of his sexual orientation, plus it spurred him to want to study film.

The main complaint I've heard from younger gay men about Brokeback was that it was 'too slow' or 'too boring'.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!