Author Topic: The Atheist Thread, Cont'd.  (Read 16243 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Evangelicals and Gender Roles
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2006, 12:04:57 pm »
While pursuing my reading on the Haggard scandal, I found this article reviewing books by evangelicals on gender roles and sexuality, such as "God's Gift to Women," by Eric Ludy, about the ideal christian man and his property, his wife.  The title isn't meant to be ironic or funny: it's completely serious.

The article also deals with their view on people like me, those dang homosexuals.  Amazing stuff:

http://www.nerve.com/dispatches/sharlet/sexasaweapon/
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Evangelicals and Gender Roles
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2006, 04:58:58 pm »
While pursuing my reading on the Haggard scandal, I found this article reviewing books by evangelicals on gender roles and sexuality, such as "God's Gift to Women," by Eric Ludy, about the ideal christian man and his property, his wife.  The title isn't meant to be ironic or funny: it's completely serious.

The article also deals with their view on people like me, those dang homosexuals.  Amazing stuff:

http://www.nerve.com/dispatches/sharlet/sexasaweapon/

OMG. I'm always appalled when I read the crap of those Christian fundamentalists (or about their crap). I am so happy that I don't have to deal with it on a daily basis. Christian fundamentalists are on the fringes where I live. In the media they practically don't exist, same as in society.
If those fundamentalists had a popular say and were present in our daily culture, I'd be mighty pi§§ed.

Though, unluckily, I happen to live in a village with a relatively multitudinous group of evangelicals, measured by the total of the village's population. At least I have the comfort to know that this is an exception in Germany.
I had never even heard of evangelicals before one of them took over our local kindergarten (became boss there). From then on, being informed about them and their methods and fighting them wherever I can has become kind of a personal crusade for me. And I have three supporters, and we made life for this woman in our kindergarten as hard as possible. Now she's gone (but I can't take credit for this; she got pregnant) and the rest of the bunch is quiet since then. They know they don't have any say anymore. And they know there are people who critically eye everything they try to bring into our kindergarten.

Enough rambled. Back to the article: it was very interesting to read. And although about such an annoying subject matter, it is in parts funny. What really gave me a laugh was this:

Dobson is most-recently known in the secular world for his charge that Spongebob Squarepants had been recruited as an agent of the "homosexual agenda,"

This is so ridicolous, so beyond any rationality that I can't take it serious, I can't help but smile about  it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 05:01:28 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: The Atheist Thread, Cont'd.
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2006, 06:35:25 pm »
Interesting article. It answers some of the nagging questions I've had about fundamentalism: why women in particular are attracted to a religion that advocates literal interpretation of a book that, among other things, says that the appropriate punishment for rape is to marry the victim (whereas other infractions merit stoning or getting hands cut off or something like that). It blames men for things that go wrong in relationships, but in a different way than 70's-era feminists would -- it blames their lack of a certain kind of manliness, and their lack of religious devotion.

The books almost seemed aimed at some of the fundamentalist women that I know -- children of divorce, or women who have been through divorce themselves, or who have alcoholic or abusive husbands or fathers. Women who have a very idealized view of the past, of some sort of good-old-days where husbands were reliable and faithful and provided for all the material needs of their stay-at-home wives.

And it is interesting that gay men have taken the place of the temptress in the legions of "evil." Maybe Jon Stewart's joke about the threat of gay marriage -- that fundamentalists believe that 50% of marriages end in divorce because 50% of spouses turn gay -- is really what they believe. *boggles*
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2006, 06:50:39 am »
GLBT christians amaze me most of all: all that effort to explain away the simple fact that the bible really does teach hatred toward them.

I very much agree with this amazement, but it's the same that I find in myself when thinking of women in general being attracted to this faith. (I only refer to Christianity becaue that's the only religion I'm familiar with to any great extent). I can only surmise, as has already been mentioned here, that such women haven't really got much in-depth knowledge of the texts of their religion.

The passage on Lot and his wife and daughters were one of those that spoke very strongly to me back in the days when I was making up my mind, reading the bible: I was envisioning the family's last days before leaving the doomed city and the helpless terror those two girls and their mother must have felt at hearing the father casually offering the girls up for gang rape. What do you do when your only protector in a harsh world treats you like some piece of...... I don't know. (There is no emoticon fitting my emotions at this). The later story where both girls get pregnant by their father who conveniently claims he was too drunk to know what was going on..... Well, I know who I personally feel certain was the true guilty party there.  >:( Then again, there is another story (I'm sorry, I can't offer up chapter and verse off the top of my head) where a poor woman is offered up for gangrape by her husband without any intervening rain of fire, in order for him to stave off an equally angry mob. There's a horribly tragic passage of her crawling back after the night is over, lying helpless and maimed to death on her husband's doorstep.

These stories are absolutely horrible on their own as reminders of a misogynistic historical past one would idealistically have hoped humankind had put far behind us by now (though we've not, of cuorse), but they're supposed to be the word of God? This is what the word of God has to tell me about the treatment of women? And they are only a few of a heap of examples. I guess my views on this are obvious without me spelling it out any more.

But in that context, the article you linked to, Impish, was extremely illuminating. Thank you!

That the current fundamentalists have transferred their strong emotions of fascination and hatred from women-as-temptresses to gays-as-tempters is keenly observed and rings true once considering the current political climate in the US, the way it appears from over here. It goes a long way to explain the mystery of why there seems to be such an extreme hartred and fear of gays; now seemingly carrying the burden for more than those various men-who-sleep-with-men verses of the Bible.

It's infuriating. And insulting. And scary.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 07:02:13 am by Mikaela »

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2006, 11:56:44 am »
The immortal words of a Pastor in Dover, Pennsylvania, after the state's Supreme Court ruled against teaching  "Intelligent Design" in science classrooms:

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2006, 12:40:12 pm »
that such women haven't really got much in-depth knowledge of the texts of their religion.

They don't.  I was on a chatsite with some women, one of whom was very very religious and all the women were appalled when I told them the brutal stories of the hebrew bible.  They didn't want to believe it.  They were very upset with me (for ruining their picture of god, I suppose) and I finally had to tell them that they were not angry with me, they were angry with god and to go read their own bibles.

I gave them chapters and verses.  I doubt anyone of them ran to go read them to try to prove me wrong.

The more Jewish woman on the site reasoned - as most of my Born Again Christian friends do - that if god ordered Joshua and Moses to kill little children and babies and those still in the womb, it's because god is omniscient and knew these children - who hadn't yet sinned - would grow up to be sinners.

[shrugs, shaking head]

I said if that was the case, god still didn't come out well, for he himself made these children and the not yet born for no other reason than to be butchered horribly.

Then again, there is another story (I'm sorry, I can't offer up chapter and verse off the top of my head) where a poor woman is offered up for gangrape by her husband without any intervening rain of fire, in order for him to stave off an equally angry mob. There's a horribly tragic passage of her crawling back after the night is over, lying helpless and maimed to death on her husband's doorstep.

She was his concubine who ran off and left him.  He caught up with her at night and they had to spend the night at this place where they were accosted by thugs of another Tribe.  He threw her out to them and in the morning, when she came crawling to the doorstep, he looked down at her and said 'Hey get up, we have to leave.'  Then she died.  And 'to avenge' this killing, though he was the primary cause of it, he dismembered her body, showing zero respect for her as a woman, a person and even a human being, and sent a piece to each Tribe, or something like that.

It's a horrific story, showing zero compassion and reads more like an allegory.

These stories are absolutely horrible on their own as reminders of a misogynistic historical past one would idealistically have hoped humankind had put far behind us by now (though we've not, of cuorse), but they're supposed to be the word of God? This is what the word of God has to tell me about the treatment of women? And they are only a few of a heap of examples.

When I confront my Born Again friends with this - from their own bible no less - they instantly say that Christianity has negated the Hebrew Bible teachings - god has changed his stripes - and is now kindler and gentler.  But they still support the Ten Commandments.  ::)

I know of no Christian on this planet who follows the teachings absolutely.  They can't and not be locked up as genocidal murdering abusive maniacs.

Yet the religion's followers like to sit smugly on their high horse and cast their noses down at other religions because theirs is a religion of Peace.   ::) ::)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 01:03:52 pm by delalluvia »

injest

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2006, 06:16:38 pm »
Here's the excerpt from "The God Delusion" about the Sodom and Gomorrah story, as promised.  If you're not in the mood to read the whole thing, read my comment at the end.

'I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.  Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof' (Genesis 19: 7-8).

something I have never seen addressed about this story:

One of the most widely accepted and observed customs of the ancient world was guest friendship...the concept that if you offer your home to someone you are bound to ensuring their safety. To break this custom was considered the lowest most immoral thing you could do. And it made sense in those days...you had to feel that you could sleep in a persons home and not be murdered in your sleep.

Knowing that maybe (just maybe)  the ORIGINAL author of the story was talking about the men of Sodom brought about their destruction by breaking this most sacred covenant by offering harm to someone seeking shelter...there has been SOME eveidence of a city being destroyed by fire in that area..an ancient author looking for some 'reason' would not be so quick to blame sexual behaviours (considering how much more free people were before the Christians came along) I can see an ancient author thinking of the 'guest friendship' as a possible reason in light of the Theseus legend...as well as many other older writing...

my thoughts on the subject...

injest

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2006, 06:32:05 pm »
I was talking to my Christian colleague at work.

The problem is, although she will tick "Christian" on any survey you gave her, and is happy to distribute bible-verse cards to people, she doesn't actually know that much about Christianity.

She's rather shakey on genesis, hasn't heard of Lot, or Job (another favourite), or Ezekial asking God to slaughter children for calling him "baldy" (God then complies by sending a couple of bears to rip up those insolent kids). 

More than that, she didn't know which religion(s) Christianity was replacing, was unfamiliar with any of the end-times stuff (do you go to heaven right away or stay alseep in Christ until the end of the world?), and where dinosaurs fit into it all. 

It wasn't that we were being critical, but every other answer was very much "I dont know, never thought about it".  That large percentage of Christians probably has a huge percentage that are very much Christian in that they want to be good to people, pray a bit, and live a "nice" life.  Unfortunately they lend strength of numbers to the far right.

well that comes from laziness...the willingness to let other people think for you. Most 'Christians' go off to church on Sunday; have their Bible in the back window of their car and NEVER crack it open except when they are in church! And if the preacher doesn't bring it up...well it can't be that important can it? Add to that that most churches are run by men (and have been for centuries) of course anything that doesn't advance the beliefs of the men in charge is not going to be trumpeted!

Some churches say that some of the regulations of the Old Testament were 'cultural' and no longer in effect but I don't see how you can decide that eating shellfish was 'cultural' but other things are not.

People are just so willing to believe anything that tells them what they want to hear. As long as the preacher stands up and says that they are all going to heaven they are fine..why put themselves out to learn anything? They know the most important thing (in their opinion) and nothing can be gained by digging around and looking for trouble..

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2006, 12:09:15 pm »
Here is the latest essay by Sam Harris, which appears in the latest Newsweek. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15566391/site/newsweek/

An interesting side note:  the Newsweek cover story in the U.S. is "The politics of Jesus."  In the European version, the same story is titled "God vs. Science."

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2006, 01:16:15 pm »
Does the difference in titles suggest that science only has a chance of winning in Europe, but not the US?

Probably true, alas. :(
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.