Author Topic: BROKEBACK AND UNDERTOW  (Read 13057 times)

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
BROKEBACK AND UNDERTOW
« on: May 06, 2015, 02:12:45 am »
If you have seen BBM and Undertow, you will probably have noticed the way they resonate with each other  The link I am providing describes it better than I could.  I noticed it the first time through Undertow.  I have only cried in two movies in my life--BBM and Undertow.  Undertow is not just a retelling of BBM, they are echoes of each other.  If you haven't seen Undertow you might want to add  it to your collection--not only for the BBM-like aspects, but because it is an excellent film.

http://www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/iowa/ajax.html?t=9278779#page:showThread,9278779
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:02:03 pm by x-man »
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: BROKEBACK AND UNDERTOW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:06:16 am »
You bet, x-man. I still love this film very much.

Here's a thread about "Undertow/Contracorriente" from 2010:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,46298.0/all.html

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 01:16:00 pm »
You bet, x-man. I still love this film very much.

Here's a thread about "Undertow/Contracorriente" from 2010:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,46298.0/all.html

Thanks, southendmd, for the alert to the Undertow/BBM thread.  I KNEW when I posted above that SOMEWHERE on BetterMost there would be a discussion of Undertow--I just didn't know how to find it.  God, the absolute impossibility of the fisherman's dilemma after the painter dies is heart-wrenching.

BTW: About the photo on your logo, WHO is that guy?  He looks familiar.  Is it you?  If it is, I want your phone number.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 01:41:11 pm »

BTW: About the photo on your logo, WHO is that guy?  He looks familiar.  Is it you?  If it is, I want your phone number.

Yeah, I wish.  That's one of my favorite photos of Jake.  I don't have his phone number.

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 04:16:19 pm »
Yeah, I wish.  That's one of my favorite photos of Jake.  I don't have his phone num

So THAT'S why he looks so familiar.  With the bigger photo I see it now.  But he must have been very young in that photo--his beard hadn't filled in.  Perhaps about the time of Donnie Darko?  As far as strictly eye-candy is concerned, and this is saying more about me than about Gyllenhaal, it was Prince of Persia that really grabbed me.

Aside from that question, does anybody agree with me that BBM marked the highpoint in his career as far as his acting is concerned?  Maybe closely followed by Darko and Brothers.  I have only seen Bubble, Darko, BBM, Brothers, Prince, Source, and End of W.  My impression was that once he turned to action/video game take-offs, he was after money, not establishing a reputation as a quality actor.  I can't believe Ledger would have done that.  So for me, his wave crested with BBM--and not a bad job in Brothers--but was flat or downhill from then on.  Am I being unfair to him?  Do some of the films of his that I have missed, give the lie to my impression?  If so, telll me which ones to watch.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 05:34:37 pm »
I think that photo is some time between DD and BBM.  It's from a photo shoot; he's wearing a t-shirt that says "Good-looking revolutionaries wanted".  No kidding.

Anyway, as far as his acting, I think DD and of course BBM are brilliant performances.  I'm not crazy about the video game stuff, nor the uber-violent films.  He certainly has done a very broad range of roles, much like Heath did. 

Check out Love and Other Drugs, just cuz he looks so damned cute (and shows a lot of skin).

As for early perfomances, you could check out small films like Moonlight Mile and Zodiac.  As for recent ones, definitely see Nightcrawler and Enemy. They're both pretty wow. 

He's pretty good on the stage as well; some of us have seen him in New York recently.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 08:59:44 am »
Uhhh....that scruff.....yum!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 11:32:28 am »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 11:33:02 am »