Author Topic: On Caregiving  (Read 271118 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: On Caregiving
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2016, 09:23:08 am »
I guess I was lucky. My mom never called me. When we talked, it was always me calling her.

Her Alzheimer's involved dementia, of course, but thankfully not mood issues. When I asked if she'd had a good time when my uncle was in town, she said, "He was here? Hunh. He never visited me." Like, yeah right -- that was the whole reason he went there. But she seemed only mildly miffed about it.

Thankfully, when grandma's dementia was bad, she was in a facility, and really didn't have access to a phone.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2016, 09:28:53 am »
This isn't a caregiving issue because I'm not this person's caregiver, but it's been mystifying and upsetting me for the past two days and since I don't have a blog and don't want to derail someone else's blog, I'm posting it here.

You are always able to post something like this to my blog, as long as you want comments on your posts.  I don't consider my blog "sacred" in any way, and wouldn't mind at all if people posted to it with topics like  yours.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2016, 09:56:54 am »
You are always able to post something like this to my blog, as long as you want comments on your posts.  I don't consider my blog "sacred" in any way, and wouldn't mind at all if people posted to it with topics like  yours.

Good to know, Chuck, thanks! I thought maybe you'd be hospitable that way, but didn't want to assume/impose. I'll keep that in mind for the future.  :D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2016, 10:07:35 am »
One of our profs at university called it the difference between drunken drivers and driving drunks. A drunken driver is just that, a person who consumed alcohol but still is driving a vehicle (which of course is dangerous and possibly fatal). A driving drunk is a professional alcoholic who just happens to be driving a car when caught.

If you have 0.3 (that's 2.37 ‰ for Germans, Swedes, etc; I had to google it) at 11 AM you are a driving drunk, not a drunken driver. If you are still able to operate a car at all with 0.3 you are a serious alcoholic. I hope for your friend that being caught and losing her job is rock bottom and a turning point for her, not just anther step on a downward spiral. :-\

Good way to distinguish them. Someone who is that drunk at 11 a.m., at work, is probably drunk much of the time. In fact, it's odd that nobody noticed it at work earlier, though I have another friend who works at the post office in a different city who had a coworker who frequently came to work drunk. Maybe the PO doesn't really crack down on that?  ???  Her coworker eventually fell down the stairs in her home and died.

And someone who's drinking that much is on a dangerous path -- if not from stairs then from the effects of the alcohol itself.

I hope for your friend that being caught and losing her job is rock bottom and a turning point for her, not just anther step on a downward spiral.

I know. Seems like it could go either way, doesn't it? If she was already dealing with hard times, then the expense of the DWI, shame, possible jail time and job loss certainly won't make her feel better. But maybe she'll realize she needs help. Luckily she comes from a big family; hopefully they'll be supportive.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2016, 10:25:52 am »
I define this topic very broadly. It's for anyone who gives care or cares about someone else, a pet, a cause, or even the planet. We have similar sets of needs, starting with taking care of ourselves, retaining our sanity, making sense and meaning out of it all.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2016, 11:26:27 am »
This isn't a caregiving issue because I'm not this person's caregiver, but it's been mystifying and upsetting me for the past two days and since I don't have a blog and don't want to derail someone else's blog, I'm posting it here.

Yesterday, I saw a news item about a mail carrier in my area who'd been charged with DWI. She was in her mail truck, was seen almost hitting another car, then slammed into a stop sign.

Her blood-alcohol content was just under .30 -- that's more than 3 1/2 times the legal limit. It's pretty much "she should be taken to a hospital" level. According to google, .30 can put you in a coma, and .40 can kill you.

It was 11 a.m.

The woman was my childhood best friend.

Wow. I don't wonder you're mystified and upset. I'm sorry to hear your old/former friend has come to such a pass.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2016, 10:03:18 am »
My ever-so-helpful brother in LA didn't call or write me for Mother's Day (and as of 5:30 pm, he hadn't called or written my mother either) but he did text me a link to an article about how nursing homes are turning to eviction to get rid of difficult patients. Nice.  :P

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2016, 02:19:05 pm »
Geeez....sounds like a bit of a jerk.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2016, 10:52:37 pm »
I had a strange dream. My mom has been wanting to get her eyes checked. Unfortunately, her insurance only allows her to get her eyes checked once every 6 months. So, I'm in the uncomfortable position of having to stall her for 2 months before she can get her eyes checked again. She actually called my daughter complaining that I was neglecting her from taking her to an eye exam. My dream last night my brother was supposed to go to a doctors appointment but refused to go. I ended up pushing him in the door in a major effort. I woke up with my heart pounding and I realized I was enraged. It was quite scary.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2016, 12:43:28 pm »
I hate nightmares like  that....I had a family based one last night, my mother was telepathically telling me to call my brother, which I didn't want to do, and she wouldn't let me sleep until I agreed, and we were having this silent argument through telepathy.

lol