Author Topic: Yesterday was Lammas and I forgot all about it!  (Read 6479 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Yesterday was Lammas and I forgot all about it!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2024, 03:52:35 pm »
"Come Lammas Day at night shall she be 14." Shakespeare. Rome and Juliet.

(Which means that Juliet was 13.  :o )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2024, 10:48:37 am »
I made such a big deal about Lammas, so of course I forgot about it yesterday anyway.  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2024, 03:44:59 pm »
For a discussion of the Wheel of the Year and other Wiccan and Neopagan things I can recommend "The Path of the Green Man: Gay Men, Wicca, and Living a Magical Life," by Michael Thomas Ford (publ. 2005)

Sounds good, thanks! Yes, I'm interested in this topic, not to follow Wiccan rituals but just because it's interesting to see how Christianity and other religions interacted in those ancient days.

"Come Lammas Day at night shall she be 14." Shakespeare. Rome and Juliet.

(Which means that Juliet was 13.  :o )

How old was Romeo? Would he be considered a pedophile or rapist in current culture (yes, if he was over 18)?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2024, 09:47:35 pm »
How old was Romeo? Would he be considered a pedophile or rapist in current culture (yes, if he was over 18)?

I don't think we know. Juliet's nurse has that famous line, but I don't think anyone says anything about Romeo's age. My guess would be that he's older.

Of course, her parents were trying to marry her off at that same young age.