Author Topic: so bright. new observation of first tent scene.  (Read 8906 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: so bright. new observation of first tent scene.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 08:59:30 am »
In the theater the scene was so dark I never noticed Jack pounding the floor, but I did see the mixture of fear and longing on his face.

And the same combination on Ennis's face in the second tent scene.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 09:22:17 am »
all four times that I saw the movie in theatres, I could not make out exactly what was happening, although I got the gist of it - when my dvd finally arrives (soon, like today, I hope) I will at last be able to see what y'all are taking about - until then I will just have to use my imagination.....................
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 09:24:43 am »
I just can't think til I know what Sheyne was talking about... ;)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 01:41:20 pm »
Last time I saw it in a theater, I couldn't make out the hand-holding either. However, I have seen it many times in "Four Nights in 20 Years" on YouTube.

My interpretation is that, right after Jack pounds on the ground, Ennis reaches down and grabs his hand as a gesture of comfort and support. That's why I find it so touching; it shows Ennis feels they are both in this together and is concerned about Jack's feelings as well as his own.

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 01:48:38 pm »
There was an amazing clip of the first tent scene on YouTube (might still be there) where the lighting was amazing and the hand-holding...everything...was clearly visible.

I jsut received my pre-ordered DVD from Amazon, so those of you waiting for them - take heart.  Mine shipped March 31, and was here by 10:00am this morning, along with the Story-to-Screenplay, Best in Show & Spinal Tap.

WooHoo...YeeHaw!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 01:54:46 pm »
Hi Celeste - mine was shipped from Amazon on 3/31 also, so I hope both BBM and The Phantom of the Opera both arrive today!  Gerard Butler is one fine man also - WOOF.......................................
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 01:58:59 pm »
WOWOW! I never knew that detail. Isn't Jack pounding the floor with his right hand? How can Ennis be holding it? How long does he hold it?

I still get embarrassed about the time I asked if Ennis was hitting Jack in the back. I didn't realize it was Jack pounding the ground until Elle (I think it was Elle) corrected me on it.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 02:05:03 pm »
we think Jack is pounding on the ground, but we just don't see it. in any case, after we hear the pounding, the camera shifts back and we see his hand holding on to Ennis's very tightly. After the grunt, Jack other hand joins and both his hands grip Ennis's.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 02:08:03 pm »
Wow, you just pointed out something else I didn't see.  I can see Jack pounding the ground, and I see Ennis grab his hand,  but I didn't see both of Jacks hand grab Ennis.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 02:10:00 pm »
I'm watching the dvd on my PowerBook, and it's so bright. Even the Arclight projection isn't as bright. I can see the details of the first tent scene quite well. I've never noticed before that Jack has his right hand holding Ennis's the entire time. For some reason, that physical connection is significant to me. Besides the sex, Jacks still wants a tender intimacy in holding Ennis's hand. And I can finally see his facial expressions, in that scene.

The theater I saw in the very first time was state of the art and we could see everything!  The way Jack holds on to Ennis, the way Ennis yearns toward Jack even when he's saying what are you doing...both their facial expressions, the way Jack beats the floor of the tent, and that lovely symphony of sighs and moans..my god that scene is hot! and yet you never actually see a thing...it's all very deftly implied so that you KNOW what you've seen.  Brillantly conceived, directed and ACTED!

Wow, I can't wait to see this scene again (I know, I've had the early DVD for two weeks but haven't watched, I was preparing for Big Theater withdrawal!) I had no idea he had his hand on Ennis. But wait, he pounds the floor with his right hand doesn't he??

And yes, Vic, I have only recently seen Ennis' leaning towards Jack even as he's saying "whaaryuun" -- such great acting to show confusion and desire co-mingling. This scene gets better and better.

Oh god... more details please!! MORE!!  I've got one good photo that tent scene from my Oscars booklet that I bought on eBay - just kills me the way the guys just stare into each others eyes.. there's almost a fear on jack's face and this confusion on Ennis's..

I know Sheyne!!! I love this picture! It is SO missed during the movie b/c it;s too dark. They are totally staring deeply at each other in the most intense way. We should--one of should--scan it for the others to see. The next big project (well not so big, but you know...)

The fun continues...

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."