Author Topic: Referencing Your Tremblayans (it's just like elementary school)  (Read 16683 times)

TheStudDuck

Okay, earlier we were having some trouble with the name thing.  People were calling me "David" -- which is my name -- and DavidinHartford (who cleverly made his s/n his name) was talking about how confused he was.  I also know we have two Mandys and two Nicoles... and I'm sure there are more.

I want to say this right now... I'm not calling anybody by their username if I know their real name.  Sorry.  So, in order to make this work.  We're going to have to do this like we all did this in elementary school.  You know, back when you were still only known by your first name... if your class had two Chelseas, you referred to them as Chelsea R. and Chelsea W. -- whatever their last name began with, you attributed the letter.

Now, in order to make this work... we're going to need people who share a name with others to confess the first initial of their last name.  Of course, I really don't care... I mean, if you want to make up a letter just to keep privacy to yourself, then that's fine -- just so we can have something to distinguish between different people.

I know we have two Nicoles... a Nicole R.(I believe I know her last name, but won't say it) and a Nicole T. (for Tremblay).  This way we can be as personal as we've always been without being confusing.  My last name begins with an S. -- which should be easy to remember because "S" for "StudDuck" ... but another idea that I have could be this...

You see, there is another David in our family... I have an uncle named David and so on holidays when he visits, we are distinguished by our middle names.  For instance, I am referred to as "David Thomas" instead of just "David" ... it easily specifies which David is being spoken of.

So... if you want to call me "David Thomas" or "David S." ... go for it.  I think everyone needs to collectively decide on which one they want to call me -- personally, I like the "David Thomas" ... it's very melodic.  I just really like the personal vibe that we've all brought to this wonderful place, and it would be such a shame to see that go away.

That is all.  If you share a name with someone... then perhaps you can had an initial or middle name to which we can specify you as.  Or if you really are comfortable with being called your username, that's fine too... I just really like the personal vibe we keep here.  It's a shame we all can't have names like Sheyne.  There's a girl that won't be confused with anyone else here. (both namewise and personality-wise -- we love you Sheyne!)

That is all,
David Thomas and/or David S. (whichever is to be determined)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 05:52:16 am by TheStudDuck »

vkm91941

Re: Referencing Your Tremblayans (it's just like elementary school)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 05:54:03 am »
You've got it David Thomas it is.  And while I have your attention I sent you an e-mail early this morning about your manuscript!  Hope you don't mind my observations

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 06:05:19 am »
May I call you Tom? As in Huck Finn, you remind me so much of him.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

TheStudDuck

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 06:20:50 am »
I don't think so.  Hahaha.  :angel:

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 06:24:25 am »
I'm for the David Thomas, though the 'S.' may make it easier for us to remember the 'StudDuck' in you..

You decide!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 06:34:46 am »

Hunh!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 09:50:09 am »
So, um, David Thomas, we can't call you Studly anymore?

There are some people I like to call by their user name for some reason, like Elle and Spooky. I don't know why. I really don't like being called cmr, and especially not cmr107. It's so impersonal, yet I still call some other people by their user name. (I'm Courtney, for those of you who didn't know.) What do people want to be called?

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 10:04:50 am »
I like being called Flash.  It inspires me to be a better person, and make something good of my life.

But you can call me what you want.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 10:08:57 am »

Hunh!

ROFL

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 10:32:46 am »
David Thomas works for me, but I also reserve the right to call you David Duck, David Darling, Ducky, Studly, the Studster, my Ducky-wucky-woo, etc.  Excuse me, I think I just made myself nauseous.  Pass the sick bag.

I think the point I'm making here, (and yeah, I do have one, so shut up) is that we need to have modifiers if we're using real names.  As long as someone is writing David (H) or David (S), or some other niftily-constructed epithet, we'll all know who we're talking about.

How does that sound?  Use whatever you want, just be specific.

$0.02  $0.01

Adriana H.