Author Topic: BABEL: Santaolalla and Prieto Together  (Read 9967 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
BABEL: Santaolalla and Prieto Together
« on: October 26, 2006, 03:12:00 am »
I'm really looking forward to seeing this!

"...[Director] Inarritu does succeed in creating a compelling and unnerving sense of dislocation, by presenting several points of view, and several perceptions of the consequences, almost simultaneously. Essential to this effect are the contributions of composer Gustavo Santaolalla and cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto (reunited after their work on “Brokeback Mountain”)."

Here's the whole review:
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15224680/

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Santaolalla and Prieto Work Together on "Babel"
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 06:03:34 pm »

Thanks Lynn, I gotta hear this.

A-
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 05:14:40 am »
That does sound interesting.

(Without my glasses, I first thought this said, Santaolalla and Prieto Work Together on "Babe!")

:)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 02:48:08 am »
That does sound interesting.

(Without my glasses, I first thought this said, Santaolalla and Prieto Work Together on "Babe!")

:)
thanks so much for this....i laughed myself silly,,,i do that sometimes,too.  great bit of late night fun....                                                               janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 01:56:19 am »
The Boston Globe has a much more in-depth review of 'Babel.'  It sounds so intriguing to me.  Here's a fast excerpt, but the 3-page article is worth reading (www.boston.com registration may be required).

"The great passion of director Alejandro González Iñárritu -- many would argue his great gift -- is for building collages, and his new film, "Babel," which opens Friday, is another of his collage works. While the devastating edges of his earlier films, " Amores Perros" and "21 Grams," are tempered with hope, the themes of loss, alienation, and colliding worlds remain..."I like the idea of the Japanese story being like an incense, like a perfume, like a smell floating mysteriously during the whole film, until it's revealed at the end that it's the beginning of everything -- that without that, nothing will exist," says González Iñárritu during a conversation in Boston earlier this month. The concept, he says, was "how this story of chaos, of the butterfly in Tokyo, will spread a storm.""

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2006/10/29/the_music_of_chance/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 02:14:49 am by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 02:21:43 am »
Fox News, calls Babel a 'masterpiece,' but is considerably less enthusiastic.  Guess we'll have to go see it and make up our own minds.  -Lynne

"Babel," which stars Cate Blanchett and Brad Pitt among a cast of mostly unknown yet terrific actors, is a masterpiece.  But for the life of me I don't know why anyone would want to see it.  This independent film, by Mexican director Alejandro González Iñárritu, is so intense and emotionally disturbing that no dialogue is needed.

With incredible original music by Gustavo Santaolalla, "Babel" would work with the score alone, even without dialogue.
Every storyline is tinged with impending doom, and none disappoint. You'll find yourself squirming in your seat, closing your eyes and pretty much wondering why you spent $10 to put yourself through such agony, particularly if you're a parent.

From the tragic story of the rifle boys in Morocco, to the touching story of Chieko as she struggles to find herself and ultimately the loss of the children in the desert around the Mexican border, Iñárritu leaves no parent un-squirmed.  It's ironic then that he dedicates this film to his own children, his "lights in this dark world."  Indeed. After watching this film, you'll rush home to pay the babysitter, and you just might wake up in the bunk bed next to the light of your life, who is safe in your arms.
"Babel" makes you think about what you have, and how suddenly and easily the things you care for most could be in danger. That said, while a commendable reminder, we do have the nightly local news for that.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,225722,00.html
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 01:05:52 am »
Well, I liked Amores Perros and 21 Grams, and Brokeback Mountain.  So I'll be seeing Babel...  :D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
Santoalalla Receiving Critical Acclaim for Babel Score
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 04:44:43 am »
People are saying good things about Gustavo's work in Babel:

http://www.voymusic.com/radio/news-50540-gustavo_santaolalla_receives_critical_acclaim_for_score_of_babel

And he's being nominated for a Golden Globe award:

"...And the circle of nominated composers read like a survey of world music with the French-born Alexandre Desplat ("The Painted Veil"), British-born Clint Mansell ("The Fountain"), Argentinean Gustavo Santaolalla ("Babel"), Italian Carlo Siliotto ("Nomad") and German-born Hans Zimmer ("The Da Vinci Code")."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i38f393d69cad0c9a7bfc6499ee710b02

I must go see it, but when?  Maybe over the holidays...Has anyone seen it yet??
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 04:51:39 am by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 05:20:10 am »
... and Broadcast Film Critics Nominations:

"Babel" also garnered a best picture nomination, along with two nods for best supporting actress (Adriana Barraza and Rinko Kikuchi), best acting ensemble, best writer (Guillermo Arriaga), best soundtrack and best composer (Gustavo Santaolalla).

http://theenvelope.latimes.com/awards/critics/env-broadcastcritics-noms-12dec12,0,150959.story?coll=env-home-headlines
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 01:52:31 pm »
A friend and I saw Babel last night, and I loved both Gustavo's and Rodrigo's work!  It is well worth seeing, and I'll be getting the soundtrack soon.

The sound in the theatre was too loud, so that was annoying.  Nevertheless, Gustavo's plaintive guitar strains - Spanish style for the scenes in Mexico, and Middle Eastern for Morocco - were completely identifiable as HIS.  His use of simplicity and silence - no Brokie could mistake it for anyone else.  There were also more frenetic, very intricate pieces for more dramatic moments to build tension - charango, I think - which were amazing.

And Rodrigo - goodness - the sweeping vistas of the deserts, infinite blue sky, relentless heat, Tokyo - unending city at night - the sense of lights as far as you can see, the fast pace of Tokyo city streets - unending motion, some terrific aerial shots.  There was also excellent work of faces, expressions up close and personal.

(I'm no critic, so someone please come along behind me and do a better job describing this!)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."