Author Topic: Tainted Evidence by Beatriceorme  (Read 129952 times)

Offline rbygivens

• Don't Say Much
Tainted Evidence by Beatriceorme
« on: October 27, 2006, 02:16:51 pm »
Just found this forum - YEAH! - and can't believe there's no thread for this wonderful fic!

Fast just like New York City where it's set, "Tainted Evidence" is filled with 3 dimensional characters - even the cab driver! - that are like real people, living in the real world. Jack and Ennis new and updated, but still the men we fell in love with up on that mountain.

Beatrice's writing is funny and modern, sharp and minimal. (Her wit is the best out there in the fandom!)  No extra words, no filler, just quick, penetrating prose. Almost like reading a movie - you can see each scene, hear the characters speaking her lines, feel as if your in the same room (which in some chapters is hot!). Like I said, PD Jack and Sgt. Ennis are REAL.

For what it's worth, in my opinion, "Tainted Evidence" is worthy of praise, to be published and ya'lls attention.

Here's the link to LowerManhattan - the "Tainted Evidence" community.

http://community.livejournal.com/lowermanhattan/

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Tainted Evidence by Beatriceorme
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 05:42:38 pm »
Oh have no fear, Beatrice is here.  I am quite a fan, actually, and offered to start a thread for TE, but was waiting for a go-ahead from the author herself.  Feel free to add Squealing Fan Comments.

My favorite details of TE are:  Jack's personal nickname:  Ass-Bandit
and Ennis having handcuffs tattooed on his ass.

Every scene in which Ennis is naked, I think of those tattoos, and Jack touching them!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline rbygivens

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 03:43:23 pm »
Oh crap! Should I have asked Beatrice first before posting this thread?

No harm was intended, only praise.

Sorry if I did something wrong.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 04:31:11 pm »
I don't believe so... I mentioned to Beatrice that you had posted a thread and her response sounded positive!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 05:03:32 pm »
Thanks so much for posting this!  The fic reads like a novel and I am thoroughly enjoying it!   :)  This one slipped by me..thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 05:15:37 pm »
For me, Law Enforcement!Ennis is a very natural profession for his personality type.  Rough, ready, strong and upright (for the most part!), not to mention ... forceful.  yikes.

Offline Beatrice

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 06:09:59 pm »
Well, this is pleasant indeed!

Thank you, rbygivens! And for your ringing endorsement of TE. You made me blush! (Hey, are you on LJ?)

Tainted Evidence started out as an answer to a challenge and ended up taking over my life. In the most wonderful way possible, of course. I get to spend my time with Jack and Ennis, listening to them tell me their story, stretching and growing as a writer, and converse with the hundreds of readers who have decided to take this journey with us.

Yes, TE is fast. Yes, TE is filled with wit and bite. But, at the core - Jack and Ennis always.

Thanks again!

B

Oh, and a thank you to littlewing! A supreme compliment indeed for that's my goal, a published novel.
"He was the refuge of my spirit, the sweet solace of my griefs...what more is there, then can I say? Was it not a foretaste of blessedness thus to love, and thus to be loved?" St. Aelred, from his eulogy for his lover, Simon.

Offline Beatrice

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 06:12:04 pm »
Oh, yes and thank YOU, Louisev!

Made some rough times easier to climb over.

B

Rough, ready, strong and upright Ennis! Yikes is damn right!
"He was the refuge of my spirit, the sweet solace of my griefs...what more is there, then can I say? Was it not a foretaste of blessedness thus to love, and thus to be loved?" St. Aelred, from his eulogy for his lover, Simon.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 06:38:41 pm »
I went out on the big bad world of Google to see if I could find a photo of a pair of handcuffs on a male gluteus and I ended up on a Ponygirl site with a hundred and fifty dead links and some rather sleek latex costumes but no tattooes.  Pooh.

Offline Beatrice

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 07:38:40 pm »
I post a teaser for the week's chapter each Tuesday on another forum. Thought I might start doing it here, just in case there's anyone out there reading. This is for Chapter #20 up tomorrow.

Breakfast dishes clattered to the bottom rack.

“If you’re calling -” the counter provided adequate support for Ennis' climb back to standing, a pointed blue stare his greeting at the top. “- to start condemning me to hell again, I’d just as -”

“I spoke my piece on that subject last night.” Harsh brightened to hopeful. “Unless you’ve…uh…changed?”

“Not happening.” There was no way Alma could see what he was doing, but kissing Jack surprised at that moment was all kinds of satisfying nonetheless. “Why are you calling, Alma?”

Hopeful withered. “To tell you I’m taking the girls out of town for the weekend.”

“To White Plains to -”

“We should return late Sunday night, since they’ll have school in the morning.”

“Alma, where are you taking -”

“While we are gone, you may come to pick up your things, but I don’t want you to be here when we return.”

The audacity of that demand produced a chuckle of dismissal. “That’s still my apartment, Alma. You can’t tell me when and -”

“I’ve made a list. I’ll leave it on the kitchen table. Please do not remove any item not -”

Audacity was teetering perilously close to unmitigated gall. “You decided what I’m allowed to take out of my apartment?”

“- on that list thus forcing me to notify my attorney.”

“You’ve already got a lawyer?”

“Well, you did.” Jack’s sotto voce interjection and eyebrow waggle didn’t help in the least.

“Should you wish to contact me in the future, please do so through – what?” Distraction came in the form of a background voice, pausing her divorce recitation. "No, just a minute, I’m -”

“Who’s there, Alma?”

“That’s not your concern anymore, Ennis.”

Thanks!

B