Author Topic: Hallmark Christmas movies are getting inclusive  (Read 6546 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Hallmark Christmas movies are getting inclusive
« on: September 24, 2020, 02:31:05 pm »
Hallmark Reveals Christmas Movie Schedule for 2020

By Philiana Ng‍ September 23, 2020

Fall may have just begun, but it's never too early to start getting into the Christmas spirit! With one month left to go before Hallmark kickstarts its annual holiday programming event on Oct. 23, the network has unveiled the full movie lineup, including the complete schedule, cast lists and plot summaries for its upcoming originals.

Even amid a pandemic, Hallmark will match last year's output of original holiday films with 40, as part of Hallmark Channel's "Countdown to Christmas" and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries' "Miracles of Christmas." ET exclusively premieres promos for three of those new films, Hallmark Channel's Jingle Bell Bride and Chateau Christmas, as well as Hallmark Movies & Mysteries' Holly & Ivy.

Among its 40 movie premieres is The Christmas House, which will feature a main storyline about a married gay couple, played by openly gay actors Jonathan Bennett and Brad Harder, who are looking to adopt a child; a dedicated Hanukkah film, Love, Lights, Hanukkah!, about a restaurateur (Mia Kirshner) who discovers she's Jewish via a DNA test; and an increase in diverse leads. And like Lifetime (which will debut holiday movies centered on a gay couple and an Asian family), Hallmark has taken a step forward in its commitment to inclusivity within its storytelling and casting.

https://www.etonline.com/hallmark-reveals-christmas-movie-schedule-for-2020-153492

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

Re: Hallmark Christmas movies are getting inclusive
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 12:52:32 am »

Here is the trailer for The Christmas House

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 12:53:49 am »

An interview with Robert Buckley, writer and executive producer of The Christmas House.  It's based on his family.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 12:55:50 am »

Not Hallmark, but this looks funny.

Happiest Season, airing on Hulu.

Meeting your girlfriend’s family for the first time can be tough. Planning to propose at her family’s annual Christmas dinner — until you realize that they don’t even know she’s gay — is even harder. When Abby (Kristen Stewart) learns that Harper (Mackenzie Davis) has kept their relationship a secret from her family, she begins to question the girlfriend she thought she knew. Happiest Season is a holiday romantic comedy that hilariously captures the range of emotions tied to wanting your family’s acceptance, being true to yourself, and trying not to ruin Christmas.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 01:00:47 am »
Also not Hallmark, but very Hallmark-esque.

Are you ready for gay cowboys at Christmas?

Dashing in December follows Wyatt (played by Peter Porte, Baby Daddy), a sophisticated, New York City financier who returns home for the holidays in an effort to convince his mother, Deb (played by Andie MacDowell, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Groundhog Day) to sell the family’s ranch and beloved magical Winter Wonderland attraction. In the midst of his mission, an unexpected romance ignites with the new ranch hand Heath (played by Juan Pablo Di Pace, Fuller House) reawakening the spirit of Christmas. The film also stars Caroline Harris (Westworld) and Carlos Sanz (Stronger, Crank).”

Not only is Di Pace's character named Heath, but watch the trailer.  At one point he's wearing a light brown jacket with a dark brown collar.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 11:33:16 am »
I forgot to add dates

The Christmas House airs on Hallmark this Sunday - 11/22/2020

Happiest Season, airing on Hulu on November 25th.

Dashing in December airs on Paramount Network, simulcast on Logo and TV Land on December 13th.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 04:33:37 pm »
A friend just told me about another one that stars Fran Drescher.

The Christmas Set UpAiring on Lifetime this Saturday, December 12th.

The Christmas Setup chronicles the romantic adventures of Hugo, a New York City lawyer (Lewis) who returns home to Milwaukee with his best friend, Madelyn (Ellen Wong), to celebrate the holidays with his family, that being his mother, Kate (Fran Drescher), and his brother, Aiden (Chad Connell). As it turns out, Kate is in charge of the local Christmas celebrations. As it also turns out, Kate likes to play matchmaker. And she does just that with Hugo, aligning the stars so that her son crosses paths with his old high school friend/crush, Patrick (Lee). Hugo and Patrick quickly find themselves attracted to each other, but.... Hugo is about to learn that he's up for a killer promotion that would necessitate a relocation to London. What will they decide? Will Hugo choose love or career?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 01:21:03 pm »
Wow, thank you for this compendium! Thanks to you, we won't have anything to complain about, entertainment-wise!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 02:50:28 pm »
Where was it I saw the commercial about two girlfriends going to visit the parents of one, who clearly did not realize beforehand that their daughter was a lesbian? The mom immediately greets the girlfriend with a hug (hugging now always looks dangerous in COVID times, even if the commercial was obviously made before that). But the dad seems disapproving and standoffish in several scenes --it's pretty long. Then in the end, they find the dad painting the front picket fence in rainbow stripes.

I can't remember where I saw it, nor what it was advertising, but it was touching.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 10:49:28 pm »
Stream It or Skip It: ‘The Christmas House’ on Hallmark

By Brett White  Nov 22, 2020

Hallmark history is made with The Christmas House! It’s the first Hallmark film to feature LGBTQ characters in major, leading roles—although it’s one of many 2020’s Hallmark Christmas movies to have diverse casts. The film, co-written by star Robert Buckley, boasts a cast that includes Jonathan Bennett, Treat Williams, and Sharon Lawrence. When it comes to Hallmark, this is just about as marquee as it gets—but does The Christmas House live up to expectations?

The Gist: Robert Buckley plays Mike Mitchell, the star of a TV show titled Handsome Justice. After wrapping another season of his moderately successful procedural, he learns that this Christmas is gonna be unlike any recent Christmas—because it’s gonna be like his childhood Christmases! Mike’s parents, Phyllis (Lawrence) and Bill (Williams), are giving the old Christmas House tradition one final go—which means they move literally everything out of their home and turn it into a wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling winter wonderland!

The entire Mitchell clan is called in to send the Christmas House tradition out in style, including Mike, his brother Brandon (Bennett), and Brandon’s husband Jake (Brad Harder). Also pitching in is Mike’s high school crush (and former magic partner!) Andi (Ana Ayora).

However, there’s a lot more going on with the Mitchell family than this final Christmas House extravaganza! Brandon and Jake are keeping a secret: they’re trying to adopt and don’t want to get the family’s hopes up if it falls through. Also complicating matters is the fact that Andi is a real estate agent—and Bill and Phyllis are listing the house! Not only is this the last year for the Christmas House, it’s the last Christmas in this house! But why are they selling the house, and why are Mike’s parents acting so strange? There’s more going on here—but what?!

https://decider.com/2020/11/22/the-christmas-house-hallmark-review/