Author Topic: Hallmark Christmas movies are getting inclusive  (Read 6550 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Hallmark Christmas movies are getting inclusive
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 10:31:12 pm »

Well, all the LGBTQ holiday movies have aired, and I enjoyed the three I saw.  I couldn't see "Happiest Season", as I don't have Hulu.

My favorite was Dashing In December.  I just thought it was well done and hit all the marks a Hallmark movie would.  The chemistry between the two male leads was well done, and it has become my favorite movie this season.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 10:44:53 am »
I couldn't see "Happiest Season", as I don't have Hulu.

I read that "Happiest Season" is good. I just watched the trailer and it looks good. I like most of the actors in it -- all the ones I recognized, anyway.

I don't have Hulu either, but I did watch the first two seasons of "A Handmaid's Tale" on Hulu. The tradeoff was that I got  commercials. I couldn't even fast-forward through them. So I'd go into the kitchen and do a few little tasks during the commercial breaks.

Maybe they've since then changed their terms of service. Maybe now you're required to sit in front of the TV, bound to a chair, with your eyes held open with clothespins, a la "A Clockwork Orange."

Or maybe they just no longer offer a free service.  :laugh:  Anyway, I'm going to try to watch THS.

Here's a question. In the days of avoiding cultural appropriation, do filmmakers generally cast gay roles with gay actors? I know at least some of the actors in the movie are LGBTQ -- Kristen Stewart, Daniel Levy, Aubrey Plaza. So maybe the actress who plays her friend and others are as well.

But then the dad, who I presume is straight unless that's a surprise twist or something, is played by Victor Garber, who is also gay. How dare they cast a gay actor in a straight role instead of giving a straight actor a rare opportunity to play one of the few straight roles available?!  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 12:48:40 pm »
Here's a question. In the days of avoiding cultural appropriation, do filmmakers generally cast gay roles with gay actors? I know at least some of the actors in the movie are LGBTQ -- Kristen Stewart, Daniel Levy, Aubrey Plaza. So maybe the actress who plays her friend and others are as well.

But then the dad, who I presume is straight unless that's a surprise twist or something, is played by Victor Garber, who is also gay. How dare they cast a gay actor in a straight role instead of giving a straight actor a rare opportunity to play one of the few straight roles available?!  :laugh:

This is still a matter of controversy. Viggo Mortenson just caught flak for playing a gay character. On the other hand, in an article I read about this, he was coy and wouldn't say directly if he's gay, straight, bi, or whatever.

Victor Garber has a hot husband.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 09:32:49 pm »
This is still a matter of controversy. Viggo Mortenson just caught flak for playing a gay character. On the other hand, in an article I read about this, he was coy and wouldn't say directly if he's gay, straight, bi, or whatever.

Well, that's certainly an improvement from the Rock Hudson days when there could only be one answer to that question. In fact, it was rarely even a question!

The only problem with casting gay characters in gay roles -- which I would normally applaud-- is that Brokeback Mountain would have had different stars. Of course, young hot gay actors were in shorter supply back then.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 11:14:16 pm »
The two gay leads from "Dashing In December" have expressed opinions on this.

Juan Pablo Di Pace And Peter Porte Don’t Believe Only LGBTQ Actors Should Play LGBTQ Roles

Madison Brodsky 12/03/2020

Juan Pablo di Pace and Peter Porte are weighing in on the debate over whether only LGBTQ actors should be hired to tell LGBTQ stories in blockbuster hits.

The actors, who are both openly gay, star in Paramount’s upcoming holiday rom-com with a queer twist, titled “Dashing in December”. And with Hollywood aiming to become more inclusive during their casting process, Porte and di Pace both agree the debate is a “tricky situation” that should be addressed.

“It’s a tricky situation because when you see all of these movies, which historically, the gay roles have gone to the straight actors, there is something in nuances and tiny little things that straight actors don’t quite get right,” di Pace tells ET Canada.

“It’s great to have gay actors play these gay roles because you see certain things are realistic, but having said that, I don’t agree that only gay actors should play gay,” he added. “We do what we do because we love experiencing other people’s stories and lives and what would be of the Meryl Streep’s of the world if we all had to do the thing that we are. Actors like playing, and playing is inhabiting another human being. I don’t agree with having to laser focus the casting of it all, or else you’ll be playing yourself the rest of your life.”

Echoing his costars’ point, Porte recognizes the value of his craft at its core.

https://etcanada.com/news/720723/juan-pablo-di-pace-and-peter-porte-dont-believe-only-lgbtq-actors-should-play-lgbtq-roles/

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2020, 11:17:34 pm »
Well, that's certainly an improvement from the Rock Hudson days when there could only be one answer to that question. In fact, it was rarely even a question!

The only problem with casting gay characters in gay roles -- which I would normally applaud-- is that Brokeback Mountain would have had different stars. Of course, young hot gay actors were in shorter supply back then.

Young, hot openly gay actors. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 10:34:01 am »
Young, hot openly gay actors. ...

Good point. Yes.

Hard to believe our culture has changed so much in that time that Heath and Jake were cautioned that even playing gay men, let alone coming out as gay men, would harm their careers.

Do you think there are still young, hot gay actors and actresses who would not come out even now for fear it would limit their roles -- mainly in straight love stories? For example, if Titanic were coming out now and Leonardo DiCaprio had come out as gay, would it harm or even kill his chances of being cast?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 10:37:35 am »
“It’s a tricky situation because when you see all of these movies, which historically, the gay roles have gone to the straight actors, there is something in nuances and tiny little things that straight actors don’t quite get right,” di Pace tells ET Canada.

What do you guys think of this? Are there any examples in BBM?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2020, 01:53:43 pm »
Do you think there are still young, hot gay actors and actresses who would not come out even now for fear it would limit their roles -- mainly in straight love stories? For example, if Titanic were coming out now and Leonardo DiCaprio had come out as gay, would it harm or even kill his chances of being cast?

Good question. 

I seem to recall that Sean Hayes got a lot of flack for playing straight in the revival of "Promises, Promises".  Some reviews suggested that, after playing Jack on "Will and Grace", he was not believable as a straight man. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2020, 11:45:44 pm »
I seem to recall that Sean Hayes got a lot of flack for playing straight in the revival of "Promises, Promises"

Well plus, how dare he take one of the few roles that could go to straight actors. They have enough trouble getting cast as it is without cultural appropriation.

I remember when Rupert Everett came out and was told his career was ruined because he'd always be cast as gay men and he said that was fine with him because "we're not, contrary to popular belief, all alike." I thought that was a cool answer, but years later I believe I heard that he now felt his career was ruined.