Author Topic: What are you watching these days?  (Read 13761 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What are you watching these days?
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 05:13:38 pm »
I started watching Enola Holmes again. It's as entertaining as ever the second time around.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 05:17:36 pm »
I keep hearing about movie releases, that Kevin Costner/Diane Lane film, "Ammonite", and "The Nest". Where are these films playing? Are they streaming? No movie theaters are open in my neck of the woods.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 10:28:22 pm »
It does get tedious sometimes, watching people sitting in chairs, concentrating, occasionally moving small chess pieces small distances. No more tedious than watching people tending sheep on a mountain, though.

Well, as long as they're breaking the tedium by getting it on in tents from time to time.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 10:30:58 pm »
I watched My Octopus Teacher last night. I'm not particularly big on nature documentaries in general, but this was one of the best I've seen. The relationship between the guy and his octopus friend reminded me of Tesla and his pigeon. It's strange, educational and sad. There was even a little bit of Charlotte's Web in it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 01:27:58 pm »
I liked the part where the guy found a male octopus sitting beside his friend one day and was happy but knew that her life cycle was coming to an end.  :'(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 03:51:35 pm »
I've been "off" on octopuses since I was a kid. Back in them days there was a cooking show on PBS called The Galloping Gourmet. My grandmother and my mother both watched the show, so I was exposed to it--until the day the host cooked octopus, and a tentacle came slithering out of the stewpot of boiling water. That ended it for all of us.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 10:27:56 am by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 11:42:54 pm »
I've been "off" on octopuses since I was a kind. Back in them days there was a cooking show on PBS called The Galloping Gourmet. My grandmother and my mother both watched the show, so I was exposed to it--until the day the host cooked octopus, and a tentacle came slithering out of the stewpot of boiling water. That ended it for all of us.

Eek. I can see why that would be disturbing. How are you with calamari (squid)? I used to go to a restaurant that had this excellent baby octopus salad. How would I feel about that now that I've seen My Octopus Teacher?

I liked the part where the guy found a male octopus sitting beside his friend one day and was happy but knew that her life cycle was coming to an end.  :'(

Yeah, nature is cruel. I hate the fact that, in many species, females are pretty much done living once they've reproduced. At least among humans we pretend that's not the case!  :laugh:

Speaking of thinking of animals' suffering, I highly recommend this essay. Gourmet magazine sent David Foster Wallace to cover a Maine lobster festival and the article he wrote was ... unorthodox. I was just talking about it the other day with my son, who considers DFW a buzzkill because he goes to these things that people think are fun (also a cruise and a state fair) and writes critical essays about them. But I think they're great. They are critical, but they're not snooty or mean-spirited, IMO.

http://www.columbia.edu/~col8/lobsterarticle.pdf

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2020, 10:41:15 am »
Eek. I can see why that would be disturbing. How are you with calamari (squid)?

I won't touch it. I won't eat anything that has it in it or on it. I won't even try it because it's ... squid. I'm not a seafood/fish person. Tuna and salmon are OK, and clams in chowder. I've had crabmeat salad and lobster rolls, and they were OK, but lobster cooked as just plain lobster seems too rich for my stomach (sometimes I wonder if the problem was actually too much butter rather than the lobster itself when I tried it).

Except for maybe salmon loaf and salmon croquets, the only way my mother knew how to prepare fish was to fry it, and the odor of frying fish turned my stomach. It still does. I don't even like to be too close if I'm with someone who orders fish in a restaurant.

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 04:09:38 pm »
I won't touch it. I won't eat anything that has it in it or on it. I won't even try it because it's ... squid. I'm not a seafood/fish person. Tuna and salmon are OK, and clams in chowder. I've had crabmeat salad and lobster rolls, and they were OK, but lobster cooked as just plain lobster seems too rich for my stomach (sometimes I wonder if the problem was actually too much butter rather than the lobster itself when I tried it).

Except for maybe salmon loaf and salmon croquets, the only way my mother knew how to prepare fish was to fry it, and the odor of frying fish turned my stomach. It still does. I don't even like to be too close if I'm with someone who orders fish in a restaurant.

I like all of those things in most forms. For a while there I didn't like scallops, but I've grown to like those, too.

When I lived in New Orleans, one of my favorite things was raw oysters. You can get those here and they're probably just as good, but they're much more expensive than they are there.

Once I went to a party and brought an appetizer of smoked fish spread (with cream cheese and maybe mayo) and crackers. I'd made a special stop at a smoked-fish shop on the shore of Lake Superior, then made the spread. The party was on a backyard deck The hostess took a bite of it, then ran to lean over the deck railing and spit it out on the grass. Seemed like kind of a rude way to express her dislike for smoked fish, which you'd think she would have already known about (she was 50ish at the time).

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2020, 12:18:24 am »
I am very fond of calamari, not so much octopus.