Author Topic: What are you watching these days?  (Read 14052 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What are you watching these days?
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2023, 01:05:28 pm »
It just kind of happened naturally since I can't get my streaming services on my TV. I suppose I could hook up my TV to the cable system to get them but I'm too lazy to do that plus I'd have to pay a steep cable fee, maybe $30-$50 a month. In addition, I tend to fall asleep when I'm sitting on the sofa in front of the TV and not when I'm sitting in my computer chair. Also, sometimes I like to stop the show and take notes on my computer. Those are the main reasons.

You can buy a Roku or Amazon Firestick for less than $50 that plugs into your TV, picks up your Wi-Fi and provides all the streaming services. It comes with a remote you can use to stop the show anytime.

I was going to buy one of those but am considering just getting a whole new TV. I can't decide. My TV is on the small side, and I thought I might go up a size. Currently, if characters communicate by notes or texts, I have to freeze the show and walk up to the TV screen to read them.

Or maybe I'll just go ahead and order that Firestick (the one the girl at Verizon recommended). A tenth the price of a new TV and I can cut the cable, which I've been procrastinating doing for months.

I bought internet through Verizon for $25/month.

Is the MM Jesus Christ Superstar?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2023, 01:30:49 pm »

Is the MM Jesus Christ Superstar?

Good guess, but no. This is a newish movie, it came out in 2021. But the story itself has existed since antiquity, written down in early BC times. 
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2023, 02:14:15 pm »
I was going to buy one of those but am considering just getting a whole new TV. I can't decide. My TV is on the small side, and I thought I might go up a size. Currently, if characters communicate by notes or texts, I have to freeze the show and walk up to the TV screen to read them.

I really should do that. Several things are obstacles, not just technophobia, though that does of course play a part. Things have changed so much, stores have gone out of business, and so forth, that I really don't know where one buys a TV these days. Regardless, living carless in a high-rise condo in the center of a major metropolitan area poses obstacles: No real way to get some place to buy a TV, then how to get rid of the old one? I'm aware that electronics can be recycled, but that also brings me back to the transportation issue--how to get the old set to a recycling place? (It's difficult even to get clothes and no-longer-needed housewares to the thrift shop.) Then, of course, there is the issue of knowing which set to buy (making sure I get what I need), and how to hook things up.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2023, 05:53:39 pm »
I really should do that. Several things are obstacles, not just technophobia, though that does of course play a part. Things have changed so much, stores have gone out of business, and so forth, that I really don't know where one buys a TV these days. Regardless, living carless in a high-rise condo in the center of a major metropolitan area poses obstacles: No real way to get some place to buy a TV, then how to get rid of the old one? I'm aware that electronics can be recycled, but that also brings me back to the transportation issue--how to get the old set to a recycling place? (It's difficult even to get clothes and no-longer-needed housewares to the thrift shop.) Then, of course, there is the issue of knowing which set to buy (making sure I get what I need), and how to hook things up.

When I bought my new TV 3-4 years ago, I had it delivered. They set it up including everything, I just had to press the start. And they took the old one with them. Of course I paid for it, but it was well worth the price. Otherwise I would probably still be without a working TV  ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2023, 11:45:11 am »
I forgot to reveal that I watched the new remake of West Side Story on my tv and, now it's gathering dust again. I've heard that one of the stars of that movie, Mike Faist, is now appearing as Jack Twist in the Broadway production of Brokeback Mountain.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2023, 02:41:39 pm »
I usually don't watch series like "The Diplomat" (on Netflix) but was intrigued by the back cover of the New Yorker. It is well acted, and part political drama, part relationship drama, and part cultural satire. I am now in the second watching because I missed a lot the first time around. The repartee goes so fast and I miss out when I get fixated on looking at the gorgeous Rufus Sewell!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2023, 01:11:47 pm »
Two shows I'd been watching through four seasons ran their finales Sunday: Succession and Barry. Both were good. I'd feel bereft if I weren't also currently watching Dead Ringers and White House Plumbers. The Diplomat is also on my list, as is something called Jury Duty that my son recommended: it's kind of a reality show about a jury except everyone in the cast is a scripted actor except for one person who thinks it's real.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2023, 07:16:38 pm »
Working outside was impossible today so I watched The Fabelmans, which I borrowed from the library. I didn't even recognize our own Michelle Williams who plays the mother. A cameo appearance was made by David Lynch as the film director John Ford, who gives young Steven, er, Sammy, some good advice. Yes, it's a Spielberg film, his most autobiographical yet.

Other great performances were by Judd Hirsch, Seth Rogan, and young Gabriel LaBelle, who plays young Spielberg, er, Fabelman. He is a person to watch!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2023, 12:54:32 am »
Working outside was impossible today so I watched The Fabelmans, which I borrowed from the library. I didn't even recognize our own Michelle Williams who plays the mother. A cameo appearance was made by David Lynch as the film director John Ford, who gives young Steven, er, Sammy, some good advice. Yes, it's a Spielberg film, his most autobiographical yet.

Other great performances were by Judd Hirsch, Seth Rogan, and young Gabriel LaBelle, who plays young Spielberg, er, Fabelman. He is a person to watch!

I got halfway through it a couple of months ago, thought it was OK but got tired and went to bed. Then I think my rental expired before I could get back to it and I haven't watched the second half. But on your recommendation I may give it another try.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2023, 11:20:18 am »
The Dead Files started their new season a few weeks ago, I've been watching that.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!