Author Topic: What are your favorite end of summer recipes?  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: What are your favorite end of summer recipes?
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2022, 01:06:25 pm »
Shallower. More like a cookie sheet but the edges come up a half inch or so on all sides. Frankly, aside from roasting I don't fully understand the advantages of using it like you would a regular pan with sides, but I may be missing something.

My former stove used electricity to start the burners and display the oven heat, but if the electricity went out I'm sure I could have turned the gas on and held a match to it and guessed with the oven.

Thanks. That's the way my gas stove works, electric sparks to start the burners, and a digital display that's a clock or displays the oven temperature and is used to set the temperature.

Gas does have its hazards. My bedroom walk-in closet backs up against the kitchen of the unit next door. One evening quite a few years ago now, I came home from work and went to change my clothes. When I opened the closet door, the smell of gas was strong enough to knock you on your ass. The pilot light on the neighbor's stove had gone out.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2022, 01:12:44 pm »
I'm on my way to the store to pick up ingredients for one of my favorite end-of-summer recipes: fish tacos!!

I'm not sure why it so strongly evokes this time of year. After all, fish and tortillas are available year-round and cabbage is a fall/winter veggie. I guess it is because it is fun to eat outside; how fondly I remember sharing it with you, friend, on the patio of the Table Mountain Inn in Golden.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2022, 02:40:42 pm »

Gas does have its hazards. My bedroom walk-in closet backs up against the kitchen of the unit next door. One evening quite a few years ago now, I came home from work and went to change my clothes. When I opened the closet door, the smell of gas was strong enough to knock you on your ass. The pilot light on the neighbor's stove had gone out.

Good thing you weren't smoking!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2022, 02:45:24 pm »
I'm not sure why it so strongly evokes this time of year. After all, fish and tortillas are available year-round and cabbage is a fall/winter veggie. I guess it is because it is fun to eat outside; how fondly I remember sharing it with you, friend, on the patio of the Table Mountain Inn in Golden.

Yes, what a nice memory!  :D  And I'd forgotten about the Table Mountain Inn!

My apartment building is above a restaurant and bar. Sometimes I go with neighbor friends down to the bar for happy hour, when their foods include fish tacos for $5 apiece. They're only OK, though. I've realized I prefer my fish tacos batter-fried, which these aren't. There's a slightly nicer restaurant down the street that has delicious walleye tacos but for some reason only sells them in the afternoon, not at dinner.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2022, 03:25:54 pm »
My apartment building is above a restaurant and bar. Sometimes I go with neighbor friends down to the bar for happy hour, when their foods include fish tacos for $5 apiece. They're only OK, though. I've realized I prefer my fish tacos batter-fried, which these aren't. There's a slightly nicer restaurant down the street that has delicious walleye tacos but for some reason only sells them in the afternoon, not at dinner.

Do you have to deal with (put up with) cooking smells from the restaurant?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2022, 11:38:49 am »
...The way the NYT does it is half-eaten already with crumbs spilling all over.  :-\

They did it again! Featured some kind of sheet-pan nachos, with one side eaten already. And they even have a stylist! Who likes this stuff??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2022, 11:57:41 am »
They did it again! Featured some kind of sheet-pan nachos, with one side eaten already. And they even have a stylist! Who likes this stuff??

I don't know. I just looked it up and it is kind of peculiar. I can see removing one portion, preferably even setting that down still on the spatula, something like that. But anything that strangers have already demolished half of -- possibly with their hands! -- does seem less appetizing.