Author Topic: The mettle of a man  (Read 31344 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
The mettle of a man
« on: November 01, 2006, 02:13:43 pm »
Another element that's associated with Jack is . . . metal. Why? I don't know, but let's see if we can puzzle it out. We know that Jack is handy with a can opener, and he solved his buck-toothed problem by having his teeth filed down (presumably with a metal file) and steel plugs inserted. There are many associations of Jack with metal (I'll ask goadra to help me list them all!  :)) I looked up the word mettle in the dictionary and found this: vigor and strength of spirit or temperament, ardor, staying quality, stamina, courage. I also looked up metal and found that it can be various substances that share the quality of being good conductors of electricity and warmth.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The mettle of a man
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 02:46:59 pm »
Of course, the thing about the can opener, though, is that's one more thing where from what we see, Jack really isn't as good with it as he thinks he is--or tells Ennis he is (like he says the mare can't throw him, and then she gets lucky--yeah, right, Jack). The only time we actually see Jack use the can opener, what happens? The lid gives way into the can, and Jack gets sauce from the beans all over himself.

Sorry, I guess that's kinda OT here. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 02:51:43 pm »
Of course, the thing about the can opener, though, is that's one more thing where from what we see, Jack really isn't as good with it as he thinks he is--or tells Ennis he is (like he says the mare can't throw him, and then she gets lucky--yeah, right, Jack). The only time we actually see Jack use the can opener, what happens? The lid gives way into the can, and Jack gets sauce from the beans all over himself.

Sorry, I guess that's kinda OT here. ...

Very good point, Jeff. I think the idea is that he sees Ennis the same way -- a challenge that, like the mare and the canopener, he believes he can handle. But guess what.

Anyway, back to mettle/metal.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 03:21:45 pm »
The first thing that comes to my mind instantly, thinking of Jack and metall, is his belt buckle. And the metallic sounding *klink* when he flicks it after peeing, to show it off to Ennis.

Then the typical, also metallic, sound of the keys he drops when his father-in-law throws them to him.

And the fact that the taste of blood in ones mouth is referred to as metallic  and he drowned in his own blood  :'(

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 03:26:19 pm »
And the fact that the taste of blood in ones mouth is referred to as metallic  and he drowned in his own blood  :'(

I believe it is the iron in blood that gives it a metallic taste, and it was the tire iron that Ennis fears got Jack...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 03:37:53 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 04:09:55 pm »
You're a real thinker, all of you! And there's the harmonica, which doesn't quite sound right, because it got flattened!!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 04:37:34 pm »
The lighter Ennis borrows from him in the Signal bar.
The coffeepot, but not the bucket.
The axe head and the saw blade.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 05:01:12 pm »
When they were told to bring the sheep down from the mountain, AP describes the scene:

...stones rolling at their heels, purple cloud crowding in from the west and the metal smell of coming snow pressing them on.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 07:44:04 pm »
Jack is in the business of selling metal farm machinery. As the story begins, he has a truck, but Ennis does not. He shaves with a metal razor and a tin cup, while Ennis has a paper bag and a cigarette (no lighter).

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 11:28:43 am »
Yes, goadra, you are right about there being metal associations with Ennis as well. Ennis had a little money in a tobacco can saved up to buy a place with Alma, but he didn't get very far with it. Ennis beat a tune on the coffeepot while Jack sang "Water Walking Jesus." (Aside, I just found out that that song, such as it is, was written by Larry McMurtry's son!)