Author Topic: The mettle of a man  (Read 31363 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The mettle of a man
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2007, 10:18:45 am »
Thanks Lynne!! And all!!

Sometime, it is a given... but we do not realise it that someone is trying to reach you. My former partner/lover/pal (now deceased) did not respond to my efforts of I wanting to befriend him at first... and finally he surprised me saying that I was what he needed.

Indeed, a gay man must reach out to another gay man... somehow! It may be more difficult than in the straight world, but one can create like an organisation to help others and oneself... I now think. Like in Toronto years ago, someone or two or more organized a Sunday afternnoon tea and many came!! Wish I could find that or do that... example.

Any other ways??

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2007, 07:09:22 pm »
There is an organization around here of gay people who like to be active in the outdoors...it's called the Front Rangers, LOL! I think holding a tea is an excellent idea. I happen to know a Torontoan who likes tea...our friend Roland, the sheriff of five forums!! You should get together with him for tea sometime.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2007, 07:21:08 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

Maybe one day will met firstly Roland and ask tea from him!!  I refuse to go to Toronto!!
So maybe he will come to my present Quebec City exhibition of my paintings I created? Or to the next Salon one in November this year or the solo in the end of September/early October 2008?

Yes, I like the idea of meeting other gays for tea!! How to do that??

Lately here, since I am more and more nervous, I am taking coffee in the mornings!! I had refused to take coffee as that scarces me. How to stop it?

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2007, 12:08:41 pm »
What is the most important metallic element in the movie/story? I vote for the wire hanger. I was rereading the story yesterday in observance of the 10th anniversary of the publication, and I noticed how Annie used the wire hanger particularly in the last part: in the lake scene, where she used it to symbolize Ennis's "unlocking" of his true feelings just for a moment, the scene in Jack's closet, and at the end where Ennis hung the shirts on a nail from a wire hanger in his closet. What are your favorite metallic elements in the story?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2007, 12:35:01 pm »
Hi Front-Ranger! So nice to hear from you!

Wow, you ask a question, Now I am pensive!! ??

Even sex comes to mind about that wire... metal!! ?? But am too shy to detail that!

Hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2007, 04:46:15 pm »
Hi Front-Ranger! So nice to hear from you!

Wow, you ask a question, Now I am pensive!! ??

Even sex comes to mind about that wire... metal!! ?? But am too shy to detail that!

Hugs!

In that case, maybe your favorite metal things might be the handles! Specifically the coffeepot handle that is Ennis's only travel destination  :D!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2007, 10:52:47 am »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

So good it is to hear from you!!

Just returned from my long voyage, and am very tired still after a good sleep!

Since I road my truck for this trip, I guess now that METAL for Ennis as well as for Jack was: the metal of a truck!! They each had trucks!! yes, they did!! We never realise how important trucks are in the BM movie, nor are to us all or most of us to-day??

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2007, 11:09:07 am »
A reference to metal that Meryl brought up in the Brokeback tarot thread was the iron skillet that Ennis cooked Jack's breakfast in. I find it incredibly poignant to think of him cracking the eggs into that skillet, and applying the liberal amount of salt, checking to see if the salt was flowing freely. The iron in the skillet comes from the earth, so was appropriately the domain of Ennis. Iron was also the element that brought Jack down, in reality or in Ennis's imagination. Salt, another product of the earth, was also at Ennis's command, since he knew the "salty words" to The Strawberry Roan."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2008, 01:12:45 pm »
Do you know how often the tire iron is mentioned in the story? No less than six times.  :o Six, that's a whole lot for such a short story.

• They'd took a tire iron to him [Earl], spurred him up, drug him around by his dick until it pulled off...
  • If he [Ennis's father] was alive and was to put his head in that door now you bet he'd go get his tire iron
  • No, he thought, they got him with the tire iron.
  • He didn't know which way it was, the tire iron or a real accident...
  • So he knew it had been the tire iron.
  • The spoon handle was the kind that could be used as a tire iron.
The first two are from the motel scene. The next two are from the phone call with Lureen, # 5 is from the Lightning Flat scene and the last one is from Ennis's dream after Jack's death.

The first two are spoken by Ennis. The next three are thoughts of Ennis and the last one is in Ennis's dreams.

All six mentions of the tire iron come from Ennis. I think my last thought overlaps with the current TOTW, the question whether Jack was murdered or died in an accident.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2008, 02:57:32 pm »
I think you should post it there, too, Chrissi. Because as you've listed them here, you can see Ennis' thoughts developing and firming up. Which to me suggests they were in his mind in the first place.

And the last image, of the spoon and the tire iron, "in a cartoon shape and lurid colors that gave the dreams a flavor of comic obscenity" seems -- in my mind -- to really underscore the idea that the idea of Jack's murder is a product of Ennis' paranoia.