Author Topic: Comparison of BBM to other movies  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Comparison of BBM to other movies
« on: November 03, 2006, 12:10:24 pm »
We've discussed parallels between BRokeback Mountain and Hitchcock films, and I'm also struck by parallels to Stephen Soderburgh's Solaris.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307479/

For one thing, there's the meet-up scene between the leads. It's wordless in both movies. Chris, played by George Clooney, meets Rhea on a train, and in BBM a train goes by just before Ennis and Jack meet.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Comparison of BBM to other movies
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 04:42:26 pm »
To understand the film Solaris, I first watched the earlier version that was produced in Russian by the director Andrei Tarkovsky. One of the major parallels to BBM that I noticed was the point, made primarily visually, that Nature is beautiful, omnipotent, and mysterious. The beginning of the movie takes place in rural Russia at the dacha of the main character Kris. There are many shots of the pond in front of the dacha. These are echoed later in the film as he travels to the planet Solaris to figure out what to do about a space station that has mysterious problems. There are shots of an enigmatic ocean outside the space station that seems to have a consciousness of its own.
"chewing gum and duct tape"