Author Topic: The "I LOVE everything Jack's Mom" thread  (Read 25528 times)

TJ

Re: The "I LOVE everything Jack's Mom" thread
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 11:54:50 pm »
Thanx, Barb, for also telling it like it is.  (Where's Leslie?  Send her over.)

Mrs. Mary Twist did everything but have it engraved on her forehead:  My son is Gay and I know it!  "Jackie" was Gay.  He was!  U noticed that when he went slaging in MeXico, he dint need a road map of the Gay alleys!  Mrs. Twist as a mother probably knew her son was G-A-Y from the time that Lil' Jackie was 5 or less.  BTW, your parents being Pentecostal has nada to do w/ BBM or this Board! 

And TJ, dont talk "fictional characters" or U really, IMUHO, dont belong here at all.  Next U'll be telling us that Mrs. Twist breathed air. 

In the way that I read Annie Proulx's original short story as published in books, Jack Twist NEVER went to Mexico. He only claimed that he did when Ennis asked him if he did.

I don't think that it is fair for people who live in big cities claim they know more than people who have actually lived around and with country people like those in the Annie Proulx story.

My parents did NOT know that I was homosexual or even gay until November 1988 and I was 46 at the time. They had no idea that some of my friends whom they liked very much were homosexual, too.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 09:51:31 am by Phillip »

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The "I LOVE everything Jack's Mom" thread - merged
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2006, 01:54:00 pm »
For a thread with only 15 posts, but viewed 211 times, it’s not bad at all  :).

Ditto all the above reasons why we love Mrs Twit.

I love Mrs Twist because she is such a loving, caring and understanding mother. Had it not been her, Jack would not be the loving person with a big heart that we came to know, and there won’t be the story of Ennis and Jack.  Can you imagine Jack grew up with only the influence of the stud duck?

Mrs Twist is a great mother, and should be honored on the special day.  Happy mother’s day, Mrs Twist!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 04:17:32 am by Roland »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The "I LOVE everything Jack's Mom" thread - merged
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2006, 12:58:20 am »
I love Mrs. Twist because, after watching the movie today, I am convinced she knows about Ennis' and Jack's relationship, and communicates her knowledge, and her sympathies, to Ennis. First there's the comforting hand on his shoulder, the suggestion he go up to the room, the nod in response to the shirts, the paper bag.

Then, as Ennis is going out the door, he nods thanks again for the shirts. They lock eyes -- he actually turns slightly in a very subtle double-take when he sees her expression -- and they hold that look for maybe an extra half a second. In that moment she is telling him she understands, and offering one last wordless gesture of comfort. And he gets it.

vkm91941

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2006, 12:29:26 am »
I love Jack's Mom because it's Mother's  Day, and she reminds me of my own Mom before her stroke, the gentleness, the knowing kindness in the eyes, the careworn face.  Except my MOM was a real firecracker...SHE would have SAID , "JOHN!......... Listen up old man" ..." give him the damn ashes!"   and that would have been the end of that.!  ;)

Lost my Mom 2 years ago last month miss her everyday...

TJ

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2006, 01:25:03 am »
Since the local time is after midnight, I can say that this is the first Mother's day when my mom is not around.

I posted it elsewhere, but, there was only one of those days when I was not able to talk to her and that was when I was in Vietnam.

As Roberta Maxwell claimed about Jack's mom, my mother was a Practicing Pentecostal, too.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2006, 11:01:20 am »
I love that Jack's Mom kept his room the way it was when he was a boy because she thought he'd appreciate that.
No more beans!

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2006, 07:44:40 am »
I love the way she stands next to Jack after giving him some coffee.  Such a comforting thing to do as they both hear John Twist's hateful statements.  If they only had time alone!
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2006, 01:52:57 pm »
I love Jack's mom because the way she comforts Ennis. Ennis paid his respects to Lureen and to Jack's parents, but apart from Jack's mum, no one acknowledged his grief.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2006, 03:13:01 am »
I love Jack's Mom with her careworn face and her heart in her eyes....she seemed kind of sad and desperate when she asked Ennis if he would stop by again sometime to visit...of course, we all know Ennis never will. Can you imagine how much Jack's Mom would have loved it if the old man wasn't there and she could have had a long heart to heart talk with Ennis about her son? To see Mrs. Twist and Ennis alone at that table, hugging and crying... Breaks my heart to think about it.  :'(

I like to think that Ennis did go back, perhaps to work the ranch in Jacks place after Mr Twist passed as his way of honoring Jack and the kindness his mother gave him. This is where he would have felt closest to Jack.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 03:58:07 am by Roland »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »
I like to think that Ennis did go back, perhaps to work the ranch in Jacks place after Mr Twist passed as his way of honoring Jack and the kindness his mother gave him. This is where he would have felt closest to Jack.

That is so sweet, Mark! I came here to pay tribute to Ma Twist on Mother's Day, and your post made me smile and cry at the same time!
"chewing gum and duct tape"