Author Topic: White Picket Fences and Apple Trees  (Read 19288 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: White Picket Fences and Apple Trees
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 02:45:58 pm »
Thanks Fabienne. Off to read...

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 02:06:08 pm »
Thanks, Fabienne!

SPOILERISH

This chapter is a great example of why I'm so glad to have this story back.  Bobby is my hero!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2007, 05:30:14 am »
Update!!  :)  :)

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1763662.html#cutid1

SPOILERS

I liked the talk between Ennis and Bobby. Ennis really managed to comfort Bobby. I can just imagine Jack almost bursting out of his skin trying to take the phone from Ennis. But I really liked the fact that Ennis dealt with this.

And some very painful things said between Lureen and Bobby. I can understand Bobby wanting to hear her say something that will make it all right. But like Lureen said 'what's done is done'. Bobby had to grow up fast but I think he's starting to realise that he came out ok. It's just the 'let be, let be' that can be hard to accept.

The atmosphere in Wyoming and Texas couldn't be more different.

I loved Ennis's embarressement at the fact that he couldn't get to Jack quick enough. And the fact that Junior noticed and couldn't help but smile too!

This is a great story.  :)  :)

*off do start my christmas shopping*
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2007, 05:36:57 am »
Thanks for telling us about the update Fabienne  :-*
Off to read  :D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 03:56:41 pm »

SPOILERS

I liked the talk between Ennis and Bobby. Ennis really managed to comfort Bobby. I can just imagine Jack almost bursting out of his skin trying to take the phone from Ennis. But I really liked the fact that Ennis dealt with this.

And some very painful things said between Lureen and Bobby. I can understand Bobby wanting to hear her say something that will make it all right. But like Lureen said 'what's done is done'. Bobby had to grow up fast but I think he's starting to realise that he came out ok. It's just the 'let be, let be' that can be hard to accept.

The atmosphere in Wyoming and Texas couldn't be more different.

I loved Ennis's embarressement at the fact that he couldn't get to Jack quick enough. And the fact that Junior noticed and couldn't help but smile too!

This is a great story.  :)  :)

*off do start my christmas shopping*

Yep, what you said!   :)  The fact that Ennis didn't hand the phone over to Jack speaks volumes, doesn't it?  Bobby has two wonderful dads.  And I had to keep reminding myself of that because I wanted to reach in and give him a hug while he and Lureen had it out.  But, you're right - we can't change the past but we can learn from it.  I just wish it wasn't always the children that take the brunt of all the curve balls that life throws at the adults. 

This is a great story and I'm so glad she decided to continue. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 03:40:44 pm »
Update!

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1798379.html#cutid1

SPOILERS

Boy, Bobby is having to be really grown up, isn't he? I love that after he hears his dad and Ennis he decides to stay with Lureen and see what happens. He's not giving up yet, and that is very mature of him.

I loved how Ennis and Jack are falling over themselves when the phone is ringing. LOL. I'm glad Junior's anxiety was addressed too. This family unit is coming together nicely.

And, OMG, how will Ennis and Jack react when they find out about the broken arm??  :o But, then again, it was nice that Bobby got his rodeo thing done while Lureen was watching. It was maybe a wild thing to do, but it was good to see some fiesty Lureen there. Jack and Ennis will get over it, eventually! LOL

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 04:33:06 pm »

SPOILERS

Boy, Bobby is having to be really grown up, isn't he? I love that after he hears his dad and Ennis he decides to stay with Lureen and see what happens. He's not giving up yet, and that is very mature of him.

I loved how Ennis and Jack are falling over themselves when the phone is ringing. LOL. I'm glad Junior's anxiety was addressed too. This family unit is coming together nicely.

And, OMG, how will Ennis and Jack react when they find out about the broken arm??  :o But, then again, it was nice that Bobby got his rodeo thing done while Lureen was watching. It was maybe a wild thing to do, but it was good to see some fiesty Lureen there. Jack and Ennis will get over it, eventually! LOL

Yep, Bobby's behavior has been admirable, and they are making some headway with Junior, too.  I'm glad Kurt spilled the beans - she wants so badly to be a part of things,but she doesn't know how to close the gap. 

From what midget-size said in some replies, it sounds like J&E are going to freak out about Bobby's accident, and that's understandable.  She also said that she's going to make it a little more clear that Lureen thought Bobby had more experience at bull-riding, so it won't make it look quite so insane that she was actually daring her son to ride!   :laugh:  I think she was desperately trying to find some way to make a connection with Bobby, so that, coupled with the fact that she had the wrong impression about his experience, clouded her judgment.  I can't wait for next chapter - fireworks for sure, but if this helps Bobby feel that Lureen does care about him (which I think is what he really wants) than it'll be a good lesson all around.

Marie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 03:32:04 am »
New update! Yay, what a great monday morning gift.

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1935195.html#cutid1

Gosh, there are so many good things in this chapter. I really like the way Kurt and Louisa's situation is described, very real and heartfelt. I love that Jack and Ennis are thinking of them, being somewhat of a surrogate family for them. Those kids sure need a break. And Junior and Kurt dating, hunh, i think that's a great match!

And I love how Lureen and Bobby are getting closer, the argument they had about Bobby not telling his mum about the bull riding. She's worried Jack won't let her see Bobby again. It looks like Bobby's charms have really worked on her. I love it that they have been 'hanging out together'. They have come such a long way...

And yeah, the brother and sister thing. Oh, it's clear Jack doesn't have any brothers or sisters. Because otherwise he'd know that there's trouble ahead!

Loved it when Bobby talks about his two dads...

This is such a good story. Can't wait for the next update.

:)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 02:01:32 pm »
I just started reading this story last week and I'm really liking it. It is so nice to sit down and read fics as though they were novels-no stopping to wait for the next installment. It  is a gloomy Monday, I'm off work. I want to catch-up to the current chapter but then again I want to just take my time with it.

Heathen

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 01:36:10 pm »
New update! Yay, what a great monday morning gift.

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1935195.html#cutid1

Gosh, there are so many good things in this chapter. I really like the way Kurt and Louisa's situation is described, very real and heartfelt. I love that Jack and Ennis are thinking of them, being somewhat of a surrogate family for them. Those kids sure need a break. And Junior and Kurt dating, hunh, i think that's a great match!

And I love how Lureen and Bobby are getting closer, the argument they had about Bobby not telling his mum about the bull riding. She's worried Jack won't let her see Bobby again. It looks like Bobby's charms have really worked on her. I love it that they have been 'hanging out together'. They have come such a long way...

And yeah, the brother and sister thing. Oh, it's clear Jack doesn't have any brothers or sisters. Because otherwise he'd know that there's trouble ahead!

Loved it when Bobby talks about his two dads...

This is such a good story. Can't wait for the next update.

:)

Yep - you've covered it all, Fabienne.  This story is so charming - it has such a fresh, comforting quality to it.

I just started reading this story last week and I'm really liking it. It is so nice to sit down and read fics as though they were novels-no stopping to wait for the next installment. It  is a gloomy Monday, I'm off work. I want to catch-up to the current chapter but then again I want to just take my time with it.

Yeah, it's a rare treat to read a fic straight through, and this is a really good one!

Marie