Author Topic: DVD Review from The Onion  (Read 2678 times)

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
DVD Review from The Onion
« on: April 06, 2006, 12:17:57 pm »
http://www.avclub.com/content/node/47022

The Academy will do what it must, but let's be honest: a decade from now, is anyone going to think of 2005 as The Year Of Crash? Old-guard Hollywooders may have avoided Brokeback Mountain (Universal) because they thought the story of two shepherds having a two-decade-long sexual affair was going to be some kind of gay agit-prop. But what they missed was a lyrical evocation of the deep loneliness that haunts the American dream, well-directed by Ang Lee, who contrasts small-town homes with the boundless outdoors to articulate the all-too-common feeling that life would be better if it weren't for all the shit we have to do…

and what did they have to say about crash?

The first few scenes of Crash (Lionsgate), Paul Haggis' surprise Best Picture winner, have the charge of something truly daring, as Haggis makes explicit the racial undercurrents pulsing through Los Angeles. But when it becomes clear that the explicitness won't stop and the gears of the screenplay start grinding out heavy-handed ironies, the film morphs into an oppressive bore. In the spirit of self-congratulation, Academy members anointed this hometown favorite above Brokeback Mountain, but time will cut it down to size as decisively as Guess Who's Coming To Dinner…
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
Re: DVD Review from The Onion
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 01:06:06 pm »
Yay! I love the Onion. A serious sense of humor and good taste where it counts.

Thanks for that Andrew.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 04:31:43 pm »
wow! I think that was the first serious thing I've ever read from the onion! It's fitting it was about BBM, at least they have good taste...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 04:39:03 pm »
The Academy will do what it must, but let's be honest: a decade from now, is anyone going to think of 2005 as The Year Of Crash?

That is what I have been saying all along! I think that the irony of this whole thing though is that the only people who will remember Crash(apart from the numb-skulls that call themselves crash fans) will be us, the people that hate it!

Any way I love this review, I think this is one of the best that I read about BBM. On the other hand, the best I read about Crash started, "Paul Haggis' subtle-as-a-flying malet drama, "Crash" misses the mark by far...." I don't really need to continue, I think the first few lines sum up Crash and what I think of it. ;D
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 04:43:54 pm »
The Academy will do what it must, but let's be honest: a decade from now, is anyone going to think of 2005 as The Year Of Crash?

That is what I have been saying all along! I think that the irony of this whole thing though is that the only people who will remember Crash(apart from the numb-skulls that call themselves crash fans) will be us, the people that hate it!

Any way I love this review, I think this is one of the best that I read about BBM. On the other hand, the best I read about Crash started, "Paul Haggis' subtle-as-a-flying malet drama, "Crash" misses the mark by far...." I don't really need to continue, I think the first few lines sum up Crash and what I think of it. ;D

i think the best part of ALL of this is that crash does not stand on its own.  it will forever be known as the film that upset bbm.  every post-oscar review i have read for crash is immediately followed by a reference to bbm and the upset. 
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 04:55:18 pm »
Yeah that is true. Apart from Johnathan Ross, who goes out of his way not to mention BBM, I am starting to think that he has a vendetta against BBM. >:( Evil man, but he is the only journalist that I have seen who goes out of their way not to mention BBM.

LOL Do you think it would be funny if one of us went on a TV quiz show, say "Who wants to be a millionnaire?" for example and the million £/$ question was what film won the Oscar in 2005? or What film, that was favourite to win, but was beaten  to the Oscar in 2005 by Crash?.....now that would  be ironic!
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 05:13:43 pm »
But when it becomes clear that the explicitness won't stop and the gears of the screenplay start grinding out heavy-handed ironies, the film morphs into an oppressive bore.

I watched Crash on Showtime the other day and I was totally embarrassed I liked it at all when I saw it the first time, in May... From the first scene (the acident between the hispanic girl and the asian lady) I was struck by how exaggerated was the depiction of the racism/ethnocentrism of the characters. Like charicatures. The whole film was indeed, boring as hell.

I must have inhaled paint thinner, or something, when I first saw Crash. I thought it was a good film, even though not an impressive one. More like an impressive effort with good results. I even agreed it might deserve a nomination, cause I thought it was better than the average Joe Schmoe/Jane Plain films in the theatres at that time. I guess, my reaction to it was the one of a fairly hungry man eating a bologna sandwich - it was satisfactory, and made me content.

Then, in December I tasted caviar... (or whatever thrills your palate, LOL). That's when I realized the low quality of Crash - I was comparing it to a masterpiece. So, starting with the infamous SAG Awards I began to hate Crash, not for its mere existence, but because it was gaining undeserved praise. The more praise it gained, the more I hated it, because the more unfair it was.

I love the fact that all these articles are written in defense/praise of BBM, and, for many years now, I despised the average intellectual level of the Academy, so I don't think much of an Oscar award. However, I don't think I will ever get over the trauma of hearing Crash's name called out as winner at the Oscars. It's not that winning the award means much, intrinsically. It's what refusing to give it to BBM meant, as a message to the masses: forsake art and high quality films, embrace bigotry for safety's sake. Like we need more of that mentality...
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."