Author Topic: The Heart of the Matter  (Read 22769 times)

Scott6373

Re: The Heart of the Matter
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2006, 04:40:44 pm »

Scott6373

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2007, 04:42:49 pm »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2007, 03:23:48 am »

thank you so very much scott for sharing this story with all of us...it has been a journey

that i would not have missed for the world,,,and i hope you get well soon and feel your

normal self..    whatever that is..................................love you more than my kleenex

janice

Beautiful mind

Scott6373

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2007, 02:13:24 pm »
Epilogue

http://scotth6373.livejournal.com/6699.html

I just want to thank everyone who has taken the time out fo their busy lives to read this story.  I had thought I would be quite relieved when it was done, but I can't help myself from feeling a sense of loss as well.  It's been a very interesting journey, and I thank you all for taking it with me.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2007, 03:22:30 pm »
Scott,

Thank you for this story. I know what you mean about that feeling when it is over...

Hugs,

L
xo
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2007, 05:46:36 pm »
Scott,

Let me say that I like your writing style. Your prose is fresh, fluid, and colorful. Your dramatic sensibilities and plotting are well-honed and very effective. This was quite an emotional story with many facets. I like that you wrote the plot in such a sparse manner, being careful to give enough detail and depth to keep us engaged without inundating the reader or tipping your hand.

This story has a special fragility to it. Ennis and Lee are fragile, troubled people looking for answers in a harsh world. I am happy that Lee came into Ennis’ life and vice versa. They really needed each other for a variety of reasons. I was happy to read the epilogue and discover that Lee had been a friend—even if posthumously—to Jack too.

Now let me see if I have solved your puzzle. Jack did not die, rather he assumed a new identity in the guise of Bill Newsome. He and Ennis continued to live in their conundrum of “fishing trips.” Lee comes along, and Ennis meets another gay man for the first time in his life. Their friendship teaches Ennis about life and love. Maybe Ennis even confides in Lee about what has been going on with “Bill Newsome.” After Lee passes away and leaves the ranch to Ennis, Ennis finds that Lee has given him the courage and the means to “make it right” with Bill/Jack. Ennis finally gives in to the dream of the sweet life, and bring Jack to the ranch to live out the rest of his days in happiness and love.

For me, the big surprise in this story is that Ennis passes away first. This is the only story that I have read in this fandom that takes that path.

It is Ennis’ revelations about life and love that are central to this story. Those three lessons that he testifies to at Lee’s funeral are the lessons that he has been needing to learn his entire life. And I hope that your readers heed those lessons and take them to heart.

Thank you for writing a tale that is entertaining, passionate, and affirming all at once.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2007, 12:18:18 pm »
Milo, i loved reading your thoughts on this story. Very insightful and true. I really liked the scene in the story where Ennis and Lee are 'communicating' through music, Lee playing the piano and Ennis being his audience. That was very poetic and powerful.

Thank you for writing this story Scott.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

yb

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2007, 09:47:46 am »
Hi, Scott, I just read this story, I’m glad I finally started it today and I finished it in one go.  This is a powerful story.  I have to say though the storyline is pretty dramatic but I like your style of writing, and your usage of words and how you handled those emotional scenes stood out to me; you did not attempt to punch the emotions into our minds, instead you just let them flow from your words and let us feel the effect ourselves.  Ennis is blessed to have this understanding friend in Lee who guided him out of his fear of being a homosexual person.  If you would write another story, I will definitely read it.

Scott6373

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2007, 06:34:42 pm »
I have recieved so many wonderful messages, that I have decided to make this the first story in a trilogy.  I am beginning (very slowly) on the second, which will be called "The Moments Between".  It will take up Jack's story during the same time period of "The Heart of the Matter".  I'll probably start a new thread for that story.

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2007, 11:47:18 pm »
I,too, have enjoyed this tale immensely.  I have been posting remarks on BrokebackSlash at http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/.  As I said there, your prose was like poetry in many scenes.  The turn of the phrase brought up so many visuals and brought the words to life. 

Also, I was hoping you would do the story from Jack's point of view.  And, make it a trilogy, covering the "sweet life" between Lees' death and Ennis' death.  However, the title "The Moments Between" was already used for a multi-part fanfic by lolitary.  Another good story, it starts in 1975 and continues on.  It can be found on her journal at http://lolitaray.livejournal.com/

I do recall two other fanfics where Ennis dies first, and try as I might, I can't remember the names.  I think they are available on BrokebackSlash, or on Wranglers at http://community.livejournal.com/wranglers/

One involves Ennis meeting up with a spirit Mother Bear on one of their camping trips.  The Bear convinces Ennis to change his mind, take a chance.  Ennis does, and they live together for almost thirty years, when Ennis dies of a sudden heart attack in Jack's arms at their ranch.  More happens, but don't want to spoil it. 

The second involved two or three small stories, strung together.  There is a funeral, and a man attends.  The wife greets him. At the end, the man decides to go home to his parents' ranch in Lightning Flat.  One or two related stories follow, before the plot line is resolved.  Again, don't want to spoil it!

Glad to have found this story.  Keep up the great writing.   Looking forward to Jack's point of view, and why Ennis would tell Alma that his Jack was dead.