Author Topic: After watching my DVD a half Dozen times  (Read 25567 times)

vkm91941

After watching my DVD a half Dozen times
« on: April 06, 2006, 03:09:12 pm »
I am firmly back in the Jack was murdered camp.   The "flash-back" of what happens seems to be more Lureen's to me than Ennis's.  And that little cry/moan she makes when she realizes who Ennis is, is her realization that Jack had the same relationship with Ennis that he was having with Randall. As Annie says in her story...the little voice is as cold as snow.

You know that old addage you don't shit wear you eat, will I've come to the conclusion that Jack did indeed take up with Randall and he was telling the truth when he told Ennis he almost got caught a coupla times sneaking out to be with the "wife"(when actually he was sneaking out to be with Randall)....that time he did get caught and it cost him his life..

I may change my mind after another half dozen viewing but this is where I'm sitting rightnow  pretty strong in that conviction.

rtprod

Re: After watching my DVD a half Dozen times
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 03:11:48 pm »
I'm with you, 100%.  But still think Ennis is the one "seeing" the murder, rather than Lureen. 
rt

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 03:13:46 pm »
I am firmly back in the Jack was murdered camp.   The "flash-back" of what happens seems to be more Lureen's to me than Ennis's.  And that little cry/moan she makes when she realizes who Ennis is, is her realization that Jack had the same relationship with Ennis that he was having with Randall. As Annie says in her story...the little voice is as cold as snow.

You know that old addage you don't shit wear you eat, will I've come to the conclusion that Jack did indeed take up with Randall and he was telling the truth when he told Ennis he almost got caught a coupla times sneaking out to be with the "wife"(when actually he was sneaking out to be with Randall)....that time he did get caught and it cost him his life..

I may change my mind after another half dozen viewing but this is where I'm sitting rightnow  pretty strong in that conviction.

I've always thought it was more Lureen thinking about what really happened as she was telling Ennis 'what happened', so I agree.

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 03:18:59 pm »
I've always thought most of what you said Vic.  The only difference that I get is that in the story it's cleary Ennis who is imagining/understanding the situation - from his perspective completely in the story.

But I'm in agreement on all counts otherwise.  The possibility of the tire accident to me completely changes the meaning of this story, although I know other's dont' agree.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

rtprod

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 03:22:49 pm »
Celeste,

I agree with you so completely.  The whole exploding tire just isn't plausible to me, and Lureen, as played by Hathaway is obviously lying.  Now I'm going to catch hell for this, but it significantly softens one of the story's principal themes--an intolerant society of the time--if Jack's death was an accident.  Additionally, it's foreshadowed so heavily in the campfire scene....

Here comes the hate mail....

rt
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 03:45:14 pm by rtprod »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 03:25:45 pm »
I agree, Vic, and have always been in the Jack murdered camp. Lureen knows it which I take from the monotonic recitation of the accident, while Ennis is picturing what went on in his mind.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 03:29:08 pm »
rtprod,

Just to keep terminology straight, until now, 'tire iron" has meant hate killing, as in "They took a tire iron to him," and "So now he knew it was the tire iron."

The accidental death version as recounted by Lureen, "The tire blew up, broke his jaw..." is the opposing view.

I am a tire ironist myself--by which I mean I believe it was no accident.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline YaadPyar

Meryl - I need some help!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 03:33:35 pm »

I am a tire ironist myself--by which I mean I believe it was no accident.

I've GOT to go back to the cult thread, which Andrew has lovingly archived, and look at the division between the 'tire-ironists' and ???.   Like the division between the Junians and Septemberists.

Meryl - Oh High Priestess of the BBM Cult - help us out here!!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 03:38:25 pm »
Nope, not me. I am in the "we don't know" camp. Nobody said it and we didn't see-nor did Ennis- it so it can't be "known". Even when Ennis thinks to himself "he knew" how could he??

It has been stated by Ang Lee that the flashback was indeed Ennis's, not Lureen's. He stated the entire scene was from Ennis's POV.

I'm not saying he wasn't murdered, I'm just saying from my perspective there is no reason to think that. The only reason that scenario comes into play is because of Ennis's experience with Rich as a child.

Heathen

rtprod

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 03:42:57 pm »
Hi Jimmy,

You are right -- I agree it it was the tire iron.  I'll amend my post!

rt