Author Topic: People's Sexiest Man Alive: George $%&*ing Clooney?  (Read 47581 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: People's Sexiest Man Alive: George $%&*ing Clooney?
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2017, 11:49:41 pm »
And I just realized, we forgot Hugh Jackman from that list of men we found sexier who weren't from the U.S.

I've never been that big on Hugh Jackman, either. He's like George Clooney -- I get the appeal, and he seems like a nice and very talented guy, but for me ... ehh.

I looked for the Louis CK thing on Salon and, miraculously, couldn't find it -- perhaps because it's buried under about 100,000 other things about LCK, perhaps because they hastily took it down. But here's one of Salon's "alternative" SMA lists with smart people:

https://www.salon.com/2006/11/17/sexiest_man

And I happened across this, which I completely agree with (aside from the fact that, personally, I think Bradley Cooper is perfectly fine as SMA):

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/reasons-why-bradley-cooper-is-definitely-not-the-s?utm_term=.cqzLjMv77#.ym6DaNXww

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2017, 12:00:55 pm »
And I happened across this, which I completely agree with (aside from the fact that, personally, I think Bradley Cooper is perfectly fine as SMA):

I completely agree with you about Bradley Cooper.

I have two personal favorites with which I expect no one to agree: David Boreanaz and Mike Vogel.

Of course Boreanaz is well known from Buffy the Vampire Slaver, Angel, and Bones, and he's now in that series about Navy Seals.

I would say Mike Vogel is hardly an A-list actor, yet he seems to be one of those actors who always has work. IMO the picture with his main entry at IMDb is, at best, not good. He seems to me to be one of those guys who gets better looking as he matures.

Curiously enough, all three of them, Cooper, Boreanaz, and Vogel, have close, even strong, ties to the Philadelphia area. Cooper was born here. Boreanaz grew up here (his father is a well-respected and even loved weather reporter on a local TV station).  Vogel was born in Abington, a Philadelphia suburb. All three of them actually grew up in this region.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 02:20:20 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2017, 01:15:15 pm »
Never heard of Mike Vogel, but he's cute.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2017, 06:16:56 pm »

This line from a Slate article reminded me of John Trudell's comment about America having stopped trying:

After a year of unprecedented White House villainry, white supremacists marching openly in the streets, and nonstop revelations about sexual abusers in our midst, naming a neck-bearded bully “sexy” was a generous pinch of sea salt in America’s gaping wounds.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/11/17/gwen_stefani_finally_admits_that_her_boyfriend_blake_shelton_isn_t_sexy.html

Also, this is sort of an opinion piece but if true it sounds like Blake Shelton is far worse than I even thought:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2015/11/05/why_blake_shelton_is_a_total_loser_who_doesn_t_deserve_gwen_stefani.html

He's making me miss Adam Levine!

Jeff, your picks are nice looking, but I think the SMA has to be an A-list or instantly recognizable name. (Blake Shelton barely fits that requirement, if you ask me, but I gather he's famous in some circles.)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2017, 07:03:16 pm »
Even worse, he has a history of bigoted tweets.

https://www.allure.com/story/blake-shelton-homophobic-racist-tweets-people-sexiest-man-alive-2017

At this point, it looks like they should have just picked some random famous guy who is fairly universally considered good looking and, as far as we know now (fingers crossed), has never done anything hugely scandalous. Was Keau Reeves busy? Couldn't Jon Hamm have stepped up?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2017, 07:10:54 pm »
Here's a hilarious one. I literally LedOL a number of times.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/wtf-is-this?utm_term=.yg11xZDdd#.bsLj8WELL

Note that Jake makes No. 4, and Chris Pine No. 7! But keep scrolling down to get to the funny ones.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2017, 12:33:58 am »
I don't think John will mind if I paste his whole quote here: "Donald Trump is presidential; Jeff Sessions is honest; Roy Moore is a Christian; and Blake Shelton is the "Sexiest Man Alive." It's like America has totally stopped trying."

And here's the cover of Entertainment with Sam Heughan (yes, indeed, he is the hero in Outlander):

In that pic, I don't think he's sexy at all.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2017, 12:39:46 am »
Never understood the George Clooney thing.

OH, I think he's sexy as hell.

I, however, very much like Adam Levine.

Agreed!

No idea who Blake Skelton is.

Judge on The Voice, and country singing star.  To date, he has 48  Top 40 country music hits.

But Sam Heughan in Outlander is outstanding!

Now, this one I don't see.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2017, 12:41:54 am »
I have two personal favorites with which I expect no one to agree: David Boreanaz and Mike Vogel.

Oh, I would agree withyou on them, Jeff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2017, 01:35:01 am »
Jeff, your picks are nice looking, but I think the SMA has to be an A-list or instantly recognizable name. (Blake Shelton barely fits that requirement, if you ask me, but I gather he's famous in some circles.)

I take your point, but, see, there you go. "I gather he's famous in some circles." Blake Shelton isn't famous to you because you don't watch The Voice (at least I assume you don't) or listen to Country Music (I assume you don't do that either, unless there's something you aren't telling us  ;D  ;) ). To people who do both, I'm sure Blake Shelton at least qualifies as A-List and instantly recognizable. (I don't do either, but I do watch TV, so I know who he is. I see him all the time in commercials for The Voice.)

I think my guy David Boreanaz is the same deal. To fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and they are legion, or all the folks (like me) who watched him for years on Bones, he is instantly recognizable and I venture A-List to them.

What I'm saying is, I've come to have the feeling that A-List is in the eye of the beholder, or at least depends on the perspective of the beholder.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.