Author Topic: Bush appoints anti-birth control fundamentalist to run family planning program  (Read 26135 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
:o Is there an error in this sentence? Did you mean: If you have cancer, and additionally have the bad luck that your health insurance runs out, then you will not able to get a new one?
Or is it in fact so that insurance companies have the right to kick out/cancel contracts when someone gets cancer? Please tell me that's not the case.

I'm not clear on the details, so I could be wrong. But what I understand (from what I've heard about the experience of a friend of my husband's) is that there is either a maximum payment that insurance will cover, or that the patient has to pay 50% of the cost of the care for cancer. And then if you are sick enough to lose your job, that's it for health insurance -- health insurance is typically a job-related benefit.

There is actually supplemental cancer insurance available. My husband was so freaked out by his friend's experience that he decided to get the extra insurance.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
And adopted children will grow up with  parents who wanted them.

Well, this does not seem to be enough; it might be a question of mentality, cos here in France abandonning your child is really frowned upon - so much so that we are the only country in the world, I believe, to give women the possibility to abandon their child "under X", i.e. anonymously, which means the kid will never be able to know who their mother was, let alone their dad, but then that's very common! (unfortunately).

I happen to have worked with kids who'd been abandonned, and a very high proportion of them were seriously troubled kids. Even when they grew up in a loving family, which in fact is the minority of them (it is so hard to have a French kid adopted here, that parents "buy" their kids from Africa or Asia!).

Also, the delay to have an abortion in France is very short - 10 weeks - which leaves some women with no option but to have the kid, or go to a foreign country with more liberal laws if they have the money; just to show you that abandonning your kid is not seen as an honourable option here: the number of babies (unwanted ones), that are killed AT BIRTH, by their desperate, usually very young, mothers is very high here.

So I'll repeat what has been said: abortion, not a good solution, but one that is certainly not the worst.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

injest

we (US) have had a problem with people dumping unwanted babies in toilets and trash bins...they have laws now in most states that if you leave your baby at a designated place you will not be charged with a crime...(I mean you can leave the baby anonymously...just walk in and hand it to an attendent)

most are at fire stations or hospitals...but we still have babies dumped.

maybe we are talking about two different things...when I think of adoption I think of a person making the decision while pregnant and signing the baby over at birth...not the baby dumped in a trash bin...(I agree that that would be hard for a child to get over!)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
  Mel said:
If you have cancer, your insurance coverage will run out, and you will not be able to get more

Penthe said:  Shocked Is there an error in this sentence? Did you mean: If you have cancer, and additionally have the bad luck that your health insurance runs out, then you will not able to get a new one?
Or is it in fact so that insurance companies have the right to kick out/cancel contracts when someone gets cancer? Please tell me that's not the case.

We had layoffs all spring and summer at my company.  A co-worker of mine had been working quite a bit.  Seems his wife had lost her job because her cancer made her too ill to work.  Luckily, she was on her husband's insurance with my company.

Her treatment during the year was apparently quite expensive.  Yes, she maxed out the benefits that were allowed in one year.  Her insurance coverage stopped for that year.  Benefits do have a dollar amount cap and she had reached it.  It would be impossible for her to get additional coverage as her illness was already existing.  Insurance carriers will not insure someone with a pre-existing condition.

Her husband worked many many hours to make the money to pay for her treatment and pain killers. 

He got laid off in the spring.  With him went their insurance coverage and income for her treatment.

Don't know what happened to them.  :(
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 02:11:39 pm by delalluvia »

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
we (US) have had a problem with people dumping unwanted babies in toilets and trash bins...they have laws now in most states that if you leave your baby at a designated place you will not be charged with a crime...(I mean you can leave the baby anonymously...just walk in and hand it to an attendent)

most are at fire stations or hospitals...but we still have babies dumped.

maybe we are talking about two different things...when I think of adoption I think of a person making the decision while pregnant and signing the baby over at birth...not the baby dumped in a trash bin...(I agree that that would be hard for a child to get over!)

I'm not sure that's what Isabelle meant.

Almost all children in orphanages or in state homes are not living a wonderful life.  Most feel abandoned simply due to the fact that they are there and not with a parent.  It doesn't matter if they were found in a trash bin or signed over like a package at birth (I'm fairly certain this info is not given the children until they are adults).  The fact is that they were not wanted by the person they might have expected to want them the most.

This most certainly degrades their self-esteem, especially as most abandoned children are not adopted.  If they are successfully adopted, especially when very very young, too young to remember the circumstances of their birth, then it isn't an issue until later.  If they are adopted after the realization and knowledge sinks in, then they will have to fight a very strong fear of abandonment for the rest of their lives.  I can't imagine that's easy or enjoyable.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 02:25:55 pm by delalluvia »

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
there is either a maximum payment that insurance will cover, or that the patient has to pay 50% of the cost of the care for cancer. And then if you are sick enough to lose your job, that's it for health insurance -- health insurance is typically a job-related benefit.

This is true.  Many (most?) health insurance policies have a maximum (often 2 million $).  If a person has health coverage through their employer & then looses their job because they are unable to work, they often also are unable to continue health coverage payments which increase because they are no longer in a 'group plan.'.

The HIGHEST number of bankruptcies in this country are due to heath issues!  (Another HOT button after the President & banks led people to believe it was because people were running around over spending on themselves)
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

injest

yes and they changed the laws to make getting a bankruptcy very difficult.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
I'm not sure that's what Isabelle meant.

You are right Del.
I am using the term "abandoning your child" the same way as in English you use the euphemism "giving up for adoption". Even language shows the different mentalities. We still think that giving up your child for adoption means abandoning it.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"