Author Topic: It's time to fess up  (Read 9753 times)

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
It's time to fess up
« on: April 06, 2006, 09:38:32 pm »
Hi all you Tremblayans,

I began at Chez Tremblay a couple weeks after the group took refuge at Pierre Tremblay's message board on IMDb back in December.  (For those of you who don't know, I am married to Pierre Tremblay, the namesake of this board.)  We were kindly emailed by StudDuck who was then SoupNazi who told us that Pierre had an unknown fan base.  Needless to say, the two of us read the email with curiosity and confusion until we decided that this must be one of our buddies pulling a very elaborate and funny practical joke on Pierre.  Once Pierre had gone to bed, I went to IMDb to check out if Pierre even had a message board.  We knew his c.v. was posted (but not current!) but had not realized there was in fact, a message board.  When I saw the group who had made this place their home and were on there talking about Pierre (who is he?  how did Brandon choose him? etc.)  my heart started beating fast as I screamed down to Pierre to come take a look.  We read through the threads in disbelief.  This was not a practical joke after all. 

The members decided to email Pierre a list of questions.  They debated over the wording and the appropriate nature of each question.  Unbenounced to Pierre or the board members, I secretely lurked, spellbound by the process of forums, in which I had not ever participated.  I was also  getting to really like the people whose threads I was reading until one day, I was unable to restrain myself and I put in my two bits worth.  I ended up having a playful conversation with Chanterais who had me laughing out loud more than once.  I had several fun conversations with members until I realized that I had joined in where I had no business joining in and so deleted all my messages.  A few days later, I couldn't help myself and again, joined in a thread.

Why am I telling you all this?  Well, I think it's time I fess up.    I loved Brokeback Mountain but had read the script a year and a half earlier and knew what to expect.  In reality, I spent the first 40 minutes of the movie waiting for the opening credits so I could spy Pierre's name.  (Turns out the credits came only at the end!)  I watched sets I had been on and remembered the days of the shoot.  I cried when Ennis entered the alley to sob after he leaves Jack for the first time.  I sobbed when Jake's mom tells Ennis to come back anytime.  (She's a mother afterall and knew all along Jack loved Ennis.)  I cheered when Pierre's name finally came up and so did Pierre's mom who was sitting with me.  I spent three days after the film, in a daze, unable to get the images of the film out of my head.  I intend to buy the DVD this weekend and watch the film again with my husband.  All this to confess something.  Although I loved this movie, I am not a cinaphile.  I saw the movie only once.  I do not collect memorabilia except for the shirts and hats we bought after the show wrapped.  But they weren't for posterity but rather to wear at the Calgary Stampede.  I do not surf the web.  I know Jake and Heath are really down to earth nice guys but I don't pine for either of them, even jokingly.  I have been on this board, not for my love of a movie but because I have become intrigued with you all. 

I followed you here because StudDuck was kind enough to let me know you had come here.  Phillip is a marvellous host and this is a great place to hang out.  I come here from time to time to read your threads but don't have anything to contribute unless you all feel like discussing education, horticulture, Canadian history and minor league hockey.  I have attempted to join the fray with PM's and emails but know I can't fake it anymore.  It's you, not Brokeback Mountain which has drawn and kept me coming back here.

I am glad you are all cozy here and I envy your common passion for something wonderful.  I am trying to say goodbye but finding it harder than I thought.  I am NOT expecting rows of hugging and kissing little yellow balls (which I have STILL not quite figured out how to use!) so please don't.  After I finish this letter, I will leave the board so don't feel you need to address me in the thread.  I know you well enough from spying on you for a couple months, that you would all send your best regards and love and kisses.  I love email and if ever you feel like talking about motherhood, teaching or Canada, I'm there! (StudDuck, Chanterais and Reannawrites have my address.)

Pierre and I are so proud that his name is used for a group of such kind, funny, clever and interesting people.  If ever you come to Alberta, you make darn sure to call us, ya hear?

yours with warmest regards,
Nicole Tremblay
aka nicpic64, aka Suzy Furman (sp?), aka pstremblay

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
Re: It's time to fess up
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 11:08:42 pm »
wow - what a great letter - are you sure you want to leave - it's been so nice reading your posts - you are a special kind of person, and I think Pierre is very lucky..............
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 11:26:55 pm »
Well dang....that's so classy.  There are a lot of terrific people on this board, but man, that is classy.
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 09:49:42 am »
Well dang....that's so classy.  There are a lot of terrific people on this board, but man, that is classy.

Yeah, I'll miss her.  She's a funny bird.  And a beautiful and classy letter, as Ruff put it.  I'll echo what she said, and say that if anyone does want to email her, I'd be delighted to share.

I also should probably 'fess up and say that it isn't my adoration of Brokeback that is the primary motivator in keeping me here.  Of course, I'm attached to it in all kinds of unhealthy ways, but it really is you guys that I find so fascinating.

I go to a university filled with smart people who can write well.  Most of my friends write well.  But the level of discourse here is just mind-blowingly good to me.  As an indicator of how good it is, Rtprod, a professional film critic, doesn't put us all to shame.  (And I mean no disrespect by that, rt.  You have an incredibly polished mind, and your voice is entirely distinctive and memorable here.) 

There's such a richness to our discussions.  In my everyday life, most conversations are pretty banal.  That's not to say that we don't get hysterically trivial here, but there's an interest and a depth that I find so compelling.  It's the passion for stories, be they films, theatre, novels, short stories, poems or personal experiences that is so addictive.  I'm marked out amongst my friends for being the one everyone asks for movie recommendations, the one whose bookshelves are overflowing, the one who always, always wants to talk endlessly about what we've seen recently.  Here, I'm unexceptional, and I love that. 

I also love the range of voices we have, from our baby Becky to the French femme fatale Isabelle, to the beautiful inside-and-out Indian princess Reanna to the eloquent and dryly hilarious Jmmgallagher to the warmth and kindness of Shuggy, who believes in the best of everyone, to the frankly insane and adorable thought pieces by Julie.  And Julie, get your hands out of your pants, I can see you!

I guess this is just a love letter to all of you.  Yes, I mean you.  And you.  I don't know if you all witnessed my adoring molestation of Henrypie the other day, but I probably could write a similar piece about every single one of you.  I really could.  And I will, if you ask me.

My heart beats big for you guys.  Just wanted you to know.

rtprod

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 12:05:45 pm »
I also read Nicole's letter with a tinge of the bittersweet at the possibility of another loss in the "family," which I use quotes around though at this point it is entirely unnecessary.  But her thoughtful remarks on the glue that fastens and continues to strengthen this community have a certain relevance to me that I can't shake.  I  must say how much I have come to enjoy--depend on, even--the multi-dimensional faces, voices and people here who used a masterpiece as a springboard for a tapestry of another kind that is no less complex or rewarding.  Here's to everyone here, and Chanterais, thanks for your kind remarks that there is a place at the table for me in a community of individuals that is endearingly eclectic, comforting, protective and at times, maddeningly antagonistic--a spirit we couldn't do without.  I'm happy to be thought of as part of this vibrant, global group of hearts and minds.  I'm sure I speak for many when I say I'm fortunate to have found each of you, even those I sometimes think about but with whom I don't often commnicate. 

And a certain few of you--you know who you are--I cherish. 

rt

« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 01:28:58 pm by rtprod »

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 02:58:25 pm »
Adriana,
What a lovely post.
I too am here as much for you guys as for the thing we're all here for.  An example: I'm reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.  The protagonist is an autistic 15-year-old boy.  Today my thoughts wandered round to hungryhungryhippos's son, who is autistic.    I have to admit I love it that I have a circle of friends and acquaintances with names like hungryhungryhippos, starboardlight, chefjudy etc.  I know you have real names too, but these names are special to me.

And even though we're not supposed to throw roses or smilies at Nicole, I thank her for her sweetness and class.

[love4][love4][love4]
(a nod to old times)

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 05:12:36 pm »
I know I am not supposed to adress this to Nicole, but I will as I am sure she will buckle under the tension of C.T and come and have a peek back here sometime.
I really wish you wouldn't go, you and pierre have become apart of our family, poking your heads round every now and then like adults checking on kids at a sleep over! But I really wish you wouldn't go, although I only had one short conversation with you about "To Kill a Mockingbird" (wow that seems ages ago) you seemed a briliant woman, and someone I hoped I would get to know. You really seemed like the type of person who would fit in here at C.T. I know what you mean though how these boards and Pierre and Nicole have become part of our lives. The last time I watched BBM I waited in the cinema to spot Pierre's name and when I did I gave out a little squeak and a mexican wave sort of victory. My friends thought I was overly weird but I didn't care. Also I think of you guys all the time. I think stuff like, "Ha so-and-so would find that funny!" etc. It is surprising how connected I have become with you guys, it is amazing.

I would love to keep in touch with you Nicole, if you do as you say and never come back here I will respect your strength in character, cause I have tried to quit thousands of times over the past few days. I think I am almost at the stage of shouting "I wish I could quit you!" at my computer screen. I wish you all the best and you have my dearest regards, if you never come back, but if you do and you are reading this PM me. I know you said not to do this, but I don't know how to express my love to a wonderful woman such as yourself with out using one of these: :-*.

Love you lots,
Becky
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 06:08:48 pm »
I have been on this board, not for my love of a movie but because I have become intrigued with you all.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say I'm fortunate to have found each of you, even those I sometimes think about but with whom I don't often commnicate. 

I agree with these sentiments in particular.  I found my way to the BBM board many months ago because I could not shake off the devastation of this fantastic piece of art and I needed to guage where my reaction sat with the world at large. I wanted some sort of justification for the uncharacteristic tears that poured, for the ache in my heart.  I found more than justification, I found all of you.  I often feel a bit...(a lot) guilty that I don't discuss the film enough anymore and I'm too off topic to be contributing, (thus why I drift into lurker mode occassionally).  Your stories and reactions to the film have become more intriguing to me than the film itself.  BBM will always be a part of me now, but moreover, you have contributed to my being in ways that I never imagined.  Each personality is essential in this group and I'm always aware when one of you hasn't posted for a while.   There are people here that I have never directly communicated with, such as rt, and chanteraise, simply out of an inability to find a relevant response, but every word is read and, for me, every personality makes up this breathtaking dynamic.  Becky is trying to cast us all into BBM roles on another thread, which is fun, but I think we are cast perfectly for the story that is being played out right here and now.  You people, and ALL of you people are part of my daily breath and I can't seem.., don't want to do without any of you.  So forgive my failure to discuss the film's nuances and technicalities anymore, but you have become my text of choice these days.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 06:32:13 pm by Ray »
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 06:14:44 pm »
Oh Ray. Have I told you lately how glad I am that you're here? That was beautifully said.

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 06:18:37 pm »
Wow Ray, you take my breath away! I know you play the clown at times, but you always have something briliant and meaningful.

Becky is trying to cast us all into BBM roles on another thread, which is fun, but I think we are cast perfectly for the story that is being played out right here and now.

What you don't want your part as Ennis in the flashback hug scene? LOL
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.