Author Topic: Recipes - Appetizers & Snacks  (Read 32325 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Recipes - Appetizers & Snacks
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 10:34:39 am »
It's really better if you go ahead and get it in the pre-made carton form  - at the grocery. Sprinkle a little nutmeg in it and a splash of whiskey and you're good to go! ;)

That's the way I like it, David! :)  Or just right out of the carton. Usually have one carton (quart) per Christmas. It's sooooo rich; I can't drink a lot of it.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 11:23:51 am »
This is my favorite addition to eggnog  -- I get it for birthdays or Valentine's day  once in awhile:

Meletti is an Italian chocolate liqueur that's basically alcoholic chocolate syrup; great with eggnog or hot chocolate.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 12:22:55 pm »
Kalyn's Kitchen features five appetizers here: http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-favorites-five-favorite.html

My favorite is the white bean and artichoke dip.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 11:46:10 am »
It's really better if you go ahead and get it in the pre-made carton form  - at the grocery. Sprinkle a little nutmeg in it and a splash of whiskey and you're good to go! ;)

Or brandy.  ;D

The egg nog and ice cream sounds pretty good!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Friendly Granola
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2011, 10:25:24 am »
This was my Saturday morning fun...this year was 217 bags for $7.00/bag - the prices of the ingredients increased somewhat, from what they say.

I've just finished helping bake, bag, and tag 213 pounds of homemade granola. It is an annual fundraiser for our Meeting at $6.50/bag. I don't think I posted the recipe last year.  This makes a very large tray, so you probably want to quarter it, minimum, or you'll be rotating cookie sheets in and out of your oven all day.

I gave some away last year and had much of the rest atop yogurt.

It also saved my bacon because I was supposed to show up somewhere with a dessert, and I ran out of time.

My friend Colleen had sent me apple pie filling she had canned that was ultra-yummy.  So I spread that out in a casserole dish and added this for topping.  Heated it up and - apple crisp!  People seemed to like it.

If I make this at home, I believe I will vary the nuts some and either use golden raisins or chocolate chips or craisins.  

14 cups rolled oats
2.5 cups cashews
1.5 cups sunflower seeds
1 cup flour
2 tsp salt
1.25 cups honey
1.5 cups canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
1.5 cups raisins

Mix dry ingredients.

Add wet ingredients and stir well.

Spread loosely on cookie sheet(s).

Bake, turning every 10 minutes, until uniformly brown.  (There's controversy about the temperature - between 350 and 450 degrees Fahrenheit - I believe 450 gives you browner, crunchier granola.)

Cool and add raisins.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2011, 12:36:33 pm »
Gives me an idea for a drag name: Granola Barr.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2011, 01:36:50 pm »
Gives me an idea for a drag name: Granola Barr.  ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2011, 02:18:04 pm »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Granola Barr: You heard it first from me!  ;D

Offline Andreu

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 12:34:28 am »
I just want to say one thing about this thread that is superb. It is good to learn so many recipes and i learned many new recipe ideas so i would like to thank everyone for sharing your recipe ideas. Keep sharing new kind of recipes.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 12:44:53 pm »
I'm getting the chestnuts ready to roast tomorrow. In addition to scoring them so they won't explode in a fire, I heard somewhere that they should be soaked overnight. But now, I'm wondering if that's a good idea. These chestnuts look pretty fresh. Alas, I learned too late this advice about selecting chestnuts:

"“Perhaps the problem with incineration is old nuts from the store. Fresh nuts are heavier and should bounce like a tennis ball. Old nuts are dried up and lighter. Old nuts can't take the heat so they end up getting cremated. It's always preferable to buy young nuts, even if it means that you have to bounce your nuts in the supermarket.”
"chewing gum and duct tape"