Author Topic: Recipes - Appetizers & Snacks  (Read 32306 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Recipes - Appetizers & Snacks
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 03:13:50 am »
Thanks! Yeah, it's fun to think of some good flavor combo and then put it in a new context.

For instance, I recently made this really good pumpkin ravioli with prosciutto and sage. So when I had some friends over for brunch, I put the same flavors into a strata. Like bread pudding, with a savory pumpkin custard, sprinkled with prosciutto, sage and toasted walnuts. I won't post the recipe, because it wasn't THAT great. But it was a fun experiment. (The ravioli dish, however, IS that great.)

Wow, K, I didn't realize this gastronomicalititiousness of yours.  Did you actually make the actual ravioli themselves?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 12:15:09 pm »

Wow, K, I didn't realize this gastronomicalititiousness of yours.  Did you actually make the actual ravioli themselves?

No. I bought them from a nice little Italian deli. I'm not THAT gastronomicalicious.

Has anyone here ever tried that powdered eggnog? I tried it this year, but I accidentally mixed it in with milk and it was way too rich. I didn't read the directions. The second time I used water, like it told me too and it tasted like sweet watery powdered milk.

It was terrible.

Have any of you had success with the powdered form? Maybe I should avoid it next year. It really tasted awful. Both times. :P

I've never tried powdered, but one night this year I did try making it from scratch, and IT was pretty bad! I might have done something wrong. I didn't follow a recipe, just went by memory (though unlike in childhood, using Egg Beaters to avoid salmonella). The other thing is, I think to make the really good stuff you have to cook it, and I didn't.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 01:33:53 pm »
My best appetizers

Go to Trader Joe's, preferably with no kids in tow.

Cruise the frozen aisle.  Walk slowly, stopping frequently.  Take time to smile at other browsers.  Talk about giving thanks! 

Choose two packages each of three kinds of appetizers (the spanakopita, mini-quiches, everything I've tried is good.)

Take them home and now you are set.

While you are there, stock up on their tomatillo salsa, and get your Tom's of Maine deodorant and toothpaste for much less than anywhere else. 

Eat some chocolate you just bought there, and wash it down with a Crystal Geyser sparkling juice, driving home in the car.

Count your blessings! 

:)

Waaaa! No Trader Joes here in the heartland! I may have to make a TJ run to the coast over the holidays! To compensate, I'm trying a new appetizer of red grapes, bulgar wheat, mint and orange dressing on romaine spears.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 11:26:33 pm »
Waaaa! No Trader Joes here in the heartland! I may have to make a TJ run to the coast over the holidays! To compensate, I'm trying a new appetizer of red grapes, bulgar wheat, mint and orange dressing on romaine spears.

Wow.  I'm being reminded of all kinds of things I'd forgotten about previous holiday fare.  I ought to go through and read my own posts to remember.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 12:05:04 pm »
Yes, lately I read my own old posts too to refresh my memory. After getting laid off and having to turn in my computer and phone last February, I lost a big chunk of information, pictures, etc. and it is very reassuring to have it live on here at BetterMost.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 11:10:33 am »

Or you could come visit me! There are two within 10 minutes of here, and a third is a half-hour drive away. Here's a petition asking TJ to locate a store in Denver:

http://www.petitiononline.com/JimTJDEN/petition.html

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 04:48:02 pm »
Our figs are getting ripe!! We have a fig tree that spends most of its time in our sunroom. We put it outside for the summer but it turns out that nights are too cool for fig trees in Colorado, even in the summer. So, back it went into the sunroom and finally the green figs are turning fig color one by one. I celebrated by buying some prociutto and soft cheese, so now we're ready to have a wonderful appetizer!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 08:12:37 pm »
Our figs are getting ripe!! We have a fig tree that spends most of its time in our sunroom. We put it outside for the summer but it turns out that nights are too cool for fig trees in Colorado, even in the summer. So, back it went into the sunroom and finally the green figs are turning fig color one by one. I celebrated by buying some prociutto and soft cheese, so now we're ready to have a wonderful appetizer!!

Yuuuuummmm!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Friendly Granola
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 04:43:01 pm »
I've just finished helping bake, bag, and tag 213 pounds of homemade granola. It is an annual fundraiser for our Meeting at $6.50/bag. I don't think I posted the recipe last year.  This makes a very large tray, so you probably want to quarter it, minimum, or you'll be rotating cookie sheets in and out of your oven all day.

I gave some away last year and had much of the rest atop yogurt.

It also saved my bacon because I was supposed to show up somewhere with a dessert, and I ran out of time.

My friend Colleen had sent me apple pie filling she had canned that was ultra-yummy.  So I spread that out in a casserole dish and added this for topping.  Heated it up and - apple crisp!  People seemed to like it.

If I make this at home, I believe I will vary the nuts some and either use golden raisins or chocolate chips or craisins.  

14 cups rolled oats
2.5 cups cashews
1.5 cups sunflower seeds
1 cup flour
2 tsp salt
1.25 cups honey
1.5 cups canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
1.5 cups raisins

Mix dry ingredients.

Add wet ingredients and stir well.

Spread loosely on cookie sheet(s).

Bake, turning every 10 minutes, until uniformly brown.  (There's controversy about the temperature - between 350 and 450 degrees Fahreinheit - I believe 450 gives you browner, crunchier granola.)

Cool and add raisins.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:22:14 am by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 05:15:03 pm »
Sounds delicious, Ms. di Licious!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...