Author Topic: Life at the Lazy L  (Read 74467 times)

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Our friend MaineWriter: Read her stuff!
Re: Christmas at the LazyL
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 11:22:21 am »
Well, it's what I call em...

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Scott6373

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 03:37:53 pm »
Oh Jack...I just love you...does Ennis know how lucky he is?

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 09:01:59 am »
Oh Jack...I just love you...does Ennis know how lucky he is?

Does Ennis know how lucky he is? I think so. I certainly know how lucky I am!

There is a state park (Copper Breaks) that abuts our property. It's nice because we know it will never be developed and really keeps things nice and rural around here, which we like. We have the concession to do trail rides in the park and have for years. They don't have the staff to keep horses and since we are right next door, it seemed like a no-brainer. Easy work, good money, and Ennis and me get to go for nice long rides several times a week.

This time of year, not too much interest in trail riding, though. A few years ago, we hit on the idea to do hay rides through the park. We bought an old wagon and fixed it up, painted it green, and then we decorate it for Christmas. We take people riding and they sing Christmas carols. Corny as hell but if it's what people want to do, I ain't complaining. The word has gotten out and we have whole families that will book up months in advance--and come back year after year. For the families that we know well, we invite them back to the farm for hot chocolate and cookies.

This is the wagon:

And I suppose you'll want a cookie recipe, too? I'll post that in my next message.

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 09:08:56 am »
LAZY L SNICKERDOODLES

Easy as hell and fun to make with kids, because they like to roll them in the cinnamon.

1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon

Mix together and set aside.

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour (I like King Arthur)
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400 deg. In large bowl, mix together the sugar, shortening, butter or margarine, and eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients.

Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Roll in sugar mixture to coat. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until center is almost set. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.

Makes 4 dozen.

Enjoy!

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 07:00:10 pm »
LAZY L SNICKERDOODLES

Tell you what, friend Jack, I didn't think anyone west of Pennsylvania even knew what a snickerdoodle was! They sound real good!

Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006, 08:27:33 pm »
Dear Jack,

It's so lovely to read all your news and to hear that you and Ennis are happy and well. I guess I'm just an old softy and I'm certainly not proud to admit that I'm sitting here at work with tears running down my face. They're tears of joy. I'm just so happy for you two wonderful fellas. You went through so much suffering and angst in the early years and it's so good to hear how well you're both doing now.

Give Ennis my love. And to you, too.

I love you both.

Kerry
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 09:35:30 am »
Ennis and I had a quiet day together yesterday. Since it was just the two of us, I roasted a chicken, instead of a turkey. Truth be told, we both like chicken better than turkey!

Jack,

Have you ever roasted a goose? I used to think it was greasy, and then someone taught me the proper way to roast it.  A  rotisserie if you have that, or if you don't, put some kind of rack, like one of those cooling racks for cakes, in the roasting pan and put the goose on top of that. Use the baster to make sure it isn't sitting in its own grease, and poke the skin with a fork several times before roasting. Very tasty! and not at all greasy.

Here's an easy recipe using leftover chicken or turkey. If you want a recipe for a special dessert, check out the Kansas City Plum Pudding over at our recipe collection!

Skillet Chicken (or Turkey) and Rice Dinner

chopped cooked chicken or turkey
2 carrots, chopped or julienned very fine
1 green pepper, chopped (can get these packaged and frozen too)
1 onion, chopped fine
teriyaki sauce or soy sauce
ground ginger, about 1/2 tsp
oil or margarine
1 package long grain/wild rice mix
3/4 cup rice
1-1/2 cup water
3/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp fresh or dried rosemary

Marinate the cooked poultry in teriyaki or soy sauce at least one hour. Remove and discard the sauce.
Saute chopped carrot in a little oil in a  nonstick pan, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken, onion and pepper and saute another 3 or 4 minutes. While cooking, sprinkle with the ginger and more teriyaki or soy sauce to taste.
Then add the water, rice, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary; cover and cook over medium heat about 15 minutes.
Add the long grain/wild rice mix, including the seasoning pack and the amount of water indicated on the package. Cover and cook about 20-25 minutes.

mvansand76

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2006, 10:11:27 am »
Hey Jack, welcome to Bettermost! Do you think you will ever be able to convince Ennis to take a trip to Europe for Christmas? You won't have any problems finding places to stay!

:-*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2006, 10:59:50 am »
Jack and Ennis,

This doesn't have anything to do with Christmas, but I am so excited!

Marge_Innavera wrote a great article about "Tom of Finland" in The Daily Sheet at davecullen.com:

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=18557.msg635353#msg635353

She mentions A Love Born From Steel and how you guys discovered Hal's old collection of Physique Pictoral magazines. The article has pictures, too!

If you want to re-read that particular chapter, the link is here:

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/5121.html

Enjoy!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2006, 11:04:12 am »
Dear Jack,

It's so lovely to read all your news and to hear that you and Ennis are happy and well. I guess I'm just an old softy and I'm certainly not proud to admit that I'm sitting here at work with tears running down my face. They're tears of joy. I'm just so happy for you two wonderful fellas. You went through so much suffering and angst in the early years and it's so good to hear how well you're both doing now.

Give Ennis my love. And to you, too.

I love you both.

Kerry

And we love you too, Kerry. Thanks so much for taking the time to post.

I saw you posted a sonnet over on the fanfic board. That was really nice and you're right, it does capture some of the memories and feelings of our days up on Brokeback. It's a long time ago, now, but we both remember it like it was yesterday.

I hafta say, though, we both prefer our big king size bed to sleeping in a tent that smells of cat piss, or worse, any day of the week! LOL

You take good care.

Love,

Jack

Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX