Author Topic: Holiday Menus  (Read 77619 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Holiday Menus
« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2011, 02:58:14 pm »
I may make up a batch of my Mom's navy beans and ham to start the New Year with a bang!  ;D

Is that a soup, Meryl? In any case, ham and beans are good!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2011, 03:08:51 pm »
Is that a soup, Meryl? In any case, ham and beans are good!  :D

It's kind of a main dish and a soup, Jeff.  If you like it soupy, you can always add more liquid.  We used to have it for supper a lot when I was a kid.  Here's the recipe:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6191.msg117596.html#msg117596

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2011, 03:15:07 pm »
It's kind of a main dish and a soup, Jeff.  If you like it soupy, you can always add more liquid.  We used to have it for supper a lot when I was a kid.  Here's the recipe:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6191.msg117596.html#msg117596

Thanks! Reminds me a lot of what my mother used to make, but she always used dried lima beans, and she didn't use chicken broth. I remember her soaking the beans overnight preceding the day she wanted to cook them. The result was kind of soupy without actually being "bean soup"--she used navy beans for bean soup--and was more of a stew.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2011, 01:21:18 pm »
I make a dish like that in the slow-cooker. I've made it with limas, with kidneys, with black-eyed peas, with lentils, with bags of mixed beans (all dried, all soaked overnight, except for the black eyes and lentils, which don't require soaking). Sometimes I use bacon instead of ham. Sometimes I use ham hocks, which are cheap and give it a wonderful smoky flavor. Sometimes I add a can of chopped tomatoes or tomato sauce (but only after the beans have softened -- the acid in the tomatoes will keep them from softening).

What I love about the slow-cooker is you don't have to be in the house while it's cooking, and it gives you a lot of latitude as to when it's finished cooking. Usually it will say something like, "cook on low for 6 to 8 hours," which means if you put it in at noon you can eat anytime from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

I made a ham for Christmas. We didn't quite finish it, so I tossed the rest, including the bone, into the freezer. Sometime next week, probably, I'll thaw it out and throw it in the slow-cooker for a big pot o' beans.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2011, 08:30:51 pm »
Sounds great, Katherine!  I had my beans for supper with black bread and a beer.  That's good eatin'!
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2011, 01:39:14 pm »
It's T minus four days! Is anyone doing a themed Thanksgiving this year? There was a native feast in WSJ's Off-Duty section today...I like to include some native American ingredients, but that's as far as it goes in my house.
When you see the smiley face in the sky, the pandemic will be over!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2011, 09:24:21 pm »
On track with the Thanksgiving prep! I always work backwards. Completed a cranberry mincemeat pie today. I wanted a low-key pie that wouldn't compete with the pumpkin pie my daughter in law is bringing over. I think this is perfect...and so easy!

Also completed some side dishes: spiced peaches and sweet/sour onions. Obtained brussels sprouts, which I will roast, and all ingredients for the stuffing.

Potential problem: the 20-lb turkey that has been defrosting in the garage since Thursday night is still rock hard! I won't get my feathers ruffled over this.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2011, 10:09:13 am »
Your "daughter-in-law"?  ???

I had a hankering for brussels sprouts, but there were none to be had at the grocery story on Friday, except for frozen ones, which are a mushy abomination.  ???

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2011, 01:59:25 pm »
I tried pumpkin pie for the first time when I was in Chicago last week.

It reminded me a lot of a Swedish cake called 'mjuk pepparkaka', "soft gingerbread'. Same spices.

I'm glad I tried it, but I don't feel like I need to have it again.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2011, 01:29:37 am »
Your "daughter-in-law"?  ???
Jeff, that would be my daughter's husband's sister. Sason, pumpkin pie is so de rigeur here that it is almost religious!

I had a hankering for brussels sprouts, but there were none to be had at the grocery story on Friday, except for frozen ones, which are a mushy abomination.  ???
I agree with you about the frozen brussels sprouts. I finally found some fresh ones, and I greedily acquired nearly 2 lbs. of them. I trimmed them tonight and they are all ready to be roasted on Thursday. Yay!