Author Topic: Holiday Menus  (Read 150338 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Holiday Menus
« Reply #240 on: November 26, 2020, 12:08:06 pm »
I may have to call the Butterball hotline tomorrow -- if they don't mind helping someone with a non-Butterball turkey!  :laugh:

[/quote]
Yes, you have to remove the plastic thingy. First slide the "ankles" out from under, and then the tail, unfold it, and then the rest of it pops out. I hate those plastic things and they are so disrespectful to the turkey! Let us know of any other questions, or call me.

Thanks, FRiend! You're better than the Butterball hotline by far!

Happy Thanksgiving Brokiegivin', everyone!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2020, 11:35:10 pm »

Yes, Thanksgiving is over, it about 90 minutes.

Had a nice meal with my family.   Turkey, sweet potatoes, mac & cheese, corn, spinach and artichoke, stuffing, corn casserole, meatballs & sausage in marinara.

Of course, dessert was pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and a chocolate cake.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #242 on: November 27, 2020, 11:38:23 am »
Turkey, sweet potatoes, mac & cheese, corn, spinach and artichoke, stuffing, corn casserole, meatballs & sausage in marinara.

So wait, are you saying your corn and spinach and artichoke and stuffing were four different dishes? Or just one -- a stuffing with corn, spinach and artichokes? Or three -- spinach and artichokes together plus corn and stuffing separately?

Of course, dessert was pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and a chocolate cake.

Ours were almost exactly the same. My son's boss gave him a free huge chocolate cake -- really good, with chocolate mouse layers. I bought pies because with everything else I didn't have time to make any. I was going to go with pumpkin and pecans, but at the last minute I saw sweet-potato pie, which is what I normally would make, so I grabbed that instead.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #243 on: November 29, 2020, 11:38:11 am »
Yes, Thanksgiving is over, it about 90 minutes.
Wow, speed dining! Our T-day dinner was five hours! How did your family manage that?           

Had a nice meal with my family.   Turkey, sweet potatoes, mac & cheese, corn, spinach and artichoke, stuffing, corn casserole, meatballs & sausage in marinara.
That sounds wonderful, friend. I have occasionally done Italian Christmases and Easters that were similar. Was the meatball/marinara served over pasta?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #244 on: November 29, 2020, 11:39:14 am »

Thanks, FRiend! You're better than the Butterball hotline by far!

You're welcome, friend! It was only because I had just cooked a turkey and it was fresh in my mind.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #245 on: November 29, 2020, 03:50:05 pm »
You're welcome, friend! It was only because I had just cooked a turkey and it was fresh in my mind.

It was an excellent suggestion, although in the end I didn't do it the graceful way you suggested, just yanked it out and it sprayed turkey juice in my face.

Also, the dish I was most excited about, the mushroom dressing, lingered in the oven too long and got dry and slightly burned. The other dishes ranged from fine to good but not exquisite. Lesson learned. If I do this again, I'm definitely paring down the menu and doing everything possible ahead of time.

I can't add any ancestral foods because items in the standard dinner are pretty much already my ancestral foods. I guess I could throw in haggis or a kidney pie, but ...  :P Colconnan would be good, but best saved for a simpler dinner.

But I do like fiddling with traditions. One year, when living in NYC, my then-future-now-ex-husband and I had Thanksgiving dinner in the diner that's often seen on Seinfeld. The food wasn't fantastic but the setting was fun.

I wonder if Chuck's 90-minute dinner and Lee's five-hour dinner might reflect a difference in what you're measuring and the length of time hanging out versus eating? I've Thanksgivings at my in-laws that lasted five hours, but most of it was standing around talking, maybe having light appetizers and a drink, and then maybe 90 minutes -- at most! -- eating dinner and dessert.

If I ate for five solid hours, I'd be pretty full.  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #246 on: November 29, 2020, 10:29:06 pm »
So wait, are you saying your corn and spinach and artichoke and stuffing were four different dishes? Or just one -- a stuffing with corn, spinach and artichokes? Or three -- spinach and artichokes together plus corn and stuffing separately?

Ours were almost exactly the same. My son's boss gave him a free huge chocolate cake -- really good, with chocolate mouse layers. I bought pies because with everything else I didn't have time to make any. I was going to go with pumpkin and pecans, but at the last minute I saw sweet-potato pie, which is what I normally would make, so I grabbed that instead.

Oh, sorry!   :laugh:  I meant they were separate dishes.  Corn, a spinach and artichoke dish, and stuffing.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #247 on: November 29, 2020, 10:31:46 pm »
Wow, speed dining! Our T-day dinner was five hours! How did your family manage that?

That sounds wonderful, friend. I have occasionally done Italian Christmases and Easters that were similar. Was the meatball/marinara served over pasta?

I wonder if Chuck's 90-minute dinner and Lee's five-hour dinner might reflect a difference in what you're measuring and the length of time hanging out versus eating? I've Thanksgivings at my in-laws that lasted five hours, but most of it was standing around talking, maybe having light appetizers and a drink, and then maybe 90 minutes -- at most! -- eating dinner and dessert.

If I ate for five solid hours, I'd be pretty full.  :laugh:

LOL  Apparently, my messages were not easy to understand that day.  Perhaps it was due to a food-induced coma?  I was typing that message at 10:30 at night,  I was saying that there was 90 minutes left in Thanksgiving Day.

Normally I would make pasta, but since there was so much food, I just made meatballs and sausage to have in marinara, along side the turkey and traditional dishes.

As for the time spent at my parents, well, I was there for 1:00, and back home by 6:30.  We ate, talked, and played a rousing game of Phase 10.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #248 on: November 29, 2020, 10:40:40 pm »

Ah, the Seinfeld Diner.  So...this isn't Alice's Restaurant?

;)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #249 on: November 30, 2020, 11:58:03 am »

Ah, the Seinfeld Diner.  So...this isn't Alice's Restaurant?

;)

It's weird. I like Arlo and have seen him live twice, but I didn't remember that AR involved Thanksgiving until yesterday two Facebook friends posted two posts apart from each other that they were listening to it to celebrate the holiday. One was our own Ellemeno.