Author Topic: How do you like your cranberry sauce?  (Read 4178 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
How do you like your cranberry sauce?
« on: November 20, 2006, 01:10:07 pm »
All this talk about Thanksgiving recipes, aside from making me really hungry, brought this question to mind.  :)
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: How do you like your cranberry sauce?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 03:30:08 am »
I like my cranberry sauce the way I like my orange juice - pulp-free.  It feels very childlike and immature (meaning undeveloped, pre-sophisticated) to like it this way, kind of a nostalgia thing.  Comforting.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 12:45:31 pm »
I grew up with the can-shaped stuff, but never really liked it.

I love my cranberries raw with fresh ginger and orange, ground up with a little sugar.  Simple and good.

Don't like them cooked.  As Lynne says, they pop all over your kitchen if you're not careful.

I actually picked my own cranberries a few times:  they grow wild in the Provincetown dunes.  In the valleys where there's moisture, not a bog at all.

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 02:45:02 pm »
Call me weird if you must, but I like my cranberry sauce to have the consistency of jelly, like you would find from the can.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 02:51:36 pm »
Call me weird if you must, but I like my cranberry sauce to have the consistency of jelly, like you would find from the can.

You're not weird, Scott...It's comfy...what I grew up with.  I don't really care how it's made.  I voted for the fresh b/c when I make it that way I can use less sugar or raw sugar.  If you strain it and chill, I think it will gel just like the canned kind.  It's the tart contrast with the turkey and stuffing that makes it so appealing...kinda like the sweet contrast of lamb w/mint jelly.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Scott6373

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 03:19:54 pm »
Lightly spread over the one I love..ooops did I say that...Someone slap me.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 07:20:50 pm »
Lightly spread over the one I love..ooops did I say that...Someone slap me.

SLAP!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 09:32:28 pm »
I've never been one much for combining food and sex, myself.  (Well, unless you call wining and dining me beforehand a combination - and that's always welcome, btw.)

As far as the sauce goes, I grew up with the stuff in the can.  And I've tried homemade relishes.  Don't like either.  Too tart for me.  I'd rather have something sweet, like applesauce, as a kind of relish.  Ed likes the can-shaped stuff, so I bought a can for him and plan to make one with fresh cranberries and oranges and orange liquer.  I'm kinda thinkin' the more liquer I add, the more tasty it'll be.  Or maybe I just won't care so much if it isn't.

No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 09:40:43 pm »
That sounds yummy southendmd.  Sugar, orange and ginger.  Yummy.

I've never been one much for combining food and sex, myself.

Me neither.  Both experiences are too intense, I can only concentrate on one at a time.

(Well, unless you call wining and dining me beforehand a combination - and that's always welcome, btw.)

:D