Author Topic: Bullriders, cowmen and girls, and animal husbandry  (Read 17814 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Bullriders, cowmen (with a detour to dogs)
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 07:34:27 pm »
Jeff, you might consider adopting a cat or two (assuming you're not allergic to 'em). A cat, or even two cats, could fare quite well in a high-rise abode, and they don't demand the kind of attention and space that a dog really needs. Cats can really be affectionate animals, and yet are not nearly as high-maintenance as canines. You might make of this an early Xmas present to yourself!

Tell you what, that's a lovely idea, Scott, and I thank you for the suggestion, but apparently you missed my mention of the fact that my father HATES cats. I'd be disowned if I adopted a cat!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Bullriders, cowmen and girls, and animal husbandry
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 07:39:15 pm »
Are cats domesticated now? ;D

My cat would like me to tell you that SHE has domesticated ME, not vice versa, and that someday she will train me not to move my arms when I type.

Isn't there some sort of saying that dogs have owners but cats have ... staff?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 07:50:24 pm »
Are cats domesticated now? ;D

My cat would like me to tell you that SHE has domesticated ME, not vice versa, and that someday she will train me not to move my arms when I type.

That was what I was thinking...I wasn't aware that they HAD been...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 12:33:37 pm »
How does John Beene pronounce "Gary"? Wish I could figger out a way to spell how we pronounce "Gary." We pronounce it to rhyme with "Cary" (as in "Grant"), but I suppose that's no help if you pronounce "Cary Grant" as "Kerry (as in the senator from Massachusetts) Grant," now does it? Anyway, somebody who hails from a state where they say "kiow" and "waff" instead of "cow" and "wife" (according to Annie Proulx) ain't got no business makin' fun of how native Pennsylvanians say "Cary."  ;D

OK, I was thinkin' about this last night, and, unfortunately, the closest I can come is to say that where I come from, we pronounce the "a" in "Cary" sorta like the way we pronounce the "a" in ... "rat"!  :-\  ;D  :laugh:

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 02:02:09 pm »
O/T   CATS
I'd rather be a cat. ;D  Ancient Egyptians used to worhsip them I think.  Cows are sacred in Hindu culture, but the rest of the world has a different take. Dogs are despised in the Muslim world. I believe ownership of a dog other then to be used as protection is illegal in Iran.  Don't thiink there has ever been a society that worshipped dogs.  Maybe I'm mistaken.

I wonder how long cats have been domesticated? Never owned a cat. I'm familiar with cows. Owned dogs before.  I like (some) dogs better then cats.

Not sure if a society has ever worshipped dogs, Karl, but I can tell you that sheepherders come close. I was listening to a talk on sheepherding dogs earlier this fall with Mel, and those sheepherders really love their dogs and think they are smarter than many humans!!

Cultures have worshipped wolves too. A she-wolf raised Romulus and Remus and they grew up to found Rome, so the mother of the Roman culture is a wolf. Wolves are venerated in the American Southwest and in Mexico as well. Wolves are yet another representation of the ancient culture associated with women that lurks in our subconscious and as a subtext in much popular culture, surfacing occasionally in works such as The Da Vinci Code.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 11:32:29 pm »
There's Coyote, the trickster figure from some western North American Indian tribes.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2006, 02:15:02 pm »
Do I really want to know what you were doing visiting a sewage plant in my home (as in birthplace, not current residence) county of Lancaster, Pennsylvania? Probably not. ...  ;D

I was attending a renewable energy conference, LOL!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2006, 05:30:55 pm »
I was attending a renewable energy conference, LOL!

Actually, I may know that dairy where you got the ice cream--the one that powers its equipment from methane from its own cows.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2007, 04:58:04 pm »
I'll be on the watch for bullriders, cowmen and cowgirls while watching Pan's Labyrinth this afternoon!

Pan's Labyrinth (El Laberinto del Fauno)
Produced by Alfonso CuarĂ³n, Bertha Navarro, Guillermo del Toro, Frida Torresblanco
Written by Guillermo del Toro
Directed by Guillermo del Toro
Starring: Sergi Lopez, Maribel Verdu, Ivana Baquero, Alex Angulo, Doug Jones

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 04:50:50 pm »
His major beef (sorry!) was that the stories weren't written the way he would like them to be and "maybe it's time for the ladies to step down as editor." I had to restrain myself from pointing out that without females the dairy profession would be nonexistent.

Wow, Lee, you've you've got more self-discipline than I do! Your joke is cute.  I would have been tempted to say something a lot harsher than that in response to his statement.  ::)