Author Topic: Independent Spirit Awards Nominations  (Read 3286 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Independent Spirit Awards Nominations
« on: November 29, 2006, 11:48:02 am »
Hey, screw the Academy!  Who needs 'em, anyway, when we have these?   ;D

http://filmindependent.org/spiritawards/nominees/nominees.php

No more beans!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Independent Spirit Awards Nominations
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:55:23 pm »
Whooo-weee! Yeah!  :D  This all looks helluva lot more interesting than that 'other award' program.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 01:42:21 pm »
AND, for a mere $95, you can be a member of Film Independent, which entitles you to VOTE.  Yes, VOTE for the winners.  You also get a "free" 3-month membership to Netflix, where you can request copies of all the films to watch before you vote.  Imagine that - actually watching the nominated films before voting.   ::)

Hell.  That's the best $95 I've ever spent.  I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:04:02 pm »
As a member, oo you get to attend the ceremony?   :)  I think it's usually held in Santa Monica, CA.   FAR FROM HEAVEN won one year.  I should get cable just so I could get IFC. Don't they sponsor these awards?

I think there are so many contenders for the RAZZIES this year. Might be their best year yet. 

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 02:23:43 pm »
"If you are looking for smart judging based on merit, skip the Academy Awards next year and pay attention to the Independent Spirit choices."

--Annie Proulx, "Blood on the Red Carpet", The Guardian, 11 March 2006
http://film.guardian.co.uk/oscars2006/story/0,,1727312,00.html
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 03:32:54 pm »
As a member, do you get to attend the ceremony?   :)  I think it's usually held in Santa Monica, CA.   FAR FROM HEAVEN won one year.  I should get cable just so I could get IFC. Don't they sponsor these awards?

I think there are so many contenders for the RAZZIES this year. Might be their best year yet. 

I wish.  You can try for their lottery, which entitles you to up to two tickets at $300 a pop.  Or you can "buy" a table for $5000.  I wonder how many seats there are at a table?  If there were 20, it'd definitely be worth it.  Hell, even if there were 10, it'd almost be worth it.  But then, could I convince nine other people to shell out $500, plus airfare and hotel money as the case may be?  I'm thinking not.  I see Michelle is nominated this year.  That certainly sweetens the pot, doesn't it?

And yes - the Razzies will be beside themselves this year trying to narrow it down to only five.  Man, there were a lotta stinkers.
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 03:33:39 pm »
"If you are looking for smart judging based on merit, skip the Academy Awards next year and pay attention to the Independent Spirit choices."

--Annie Proulx, "Blood on the Red Carpet", The Guardian, 11 March 2006
http://film.guardian.co.uk/oscars2006/story/0,,1727312,00.html

I'd forgotten about her saying this.  Thanks for reminding me.  Yes - great minds and all that.  ;)
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 03:36:06 pm »
Whoops.  Never mind, KD.  What that $5000 "membership" gets you is TWO guaranteed tickets.  So, who wants to go in on it with me?  ;)

No more beans!