Author Topic: Why wait four effing years?  (Read 13390 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Why wait four effing years?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2007, 11:17:13 pm »

Maybe Jack said that he keeps his friends "addresses" in his head, if Laureen had asked about Ennis' address......saying friends....then it wouldn't sound like Ennis was anything special, and that he had lots of friends, personal and professional, that he didnt need to write down their addresses.

Your right, that is a good reason, but Jack didn't seem to really hide Ennis from Lureen, I mean she certainly knew about the fishing trips and he was even complaining to her about having to drive so far, so I don't really know why Jack would have to hide Ennis's address from Lureen because she knew about him anyway (well not everything about him) but she knew who he was.  

And if the friends were farm equipment guys wouldn't he need to keep track of them?

Unless they were 'friends' he met while on the road who didn't have anything to do with farm equipment. ??? ???

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2007, 03:04:23 am »
Maybe when it came down to it, making the arrangements and all for the interment of Jack's ashes, Lureen realized there was nobody to contact - that Jack did not have any other close friends. Hence, her comment about Jack 'keeping his friends' addresses in his head'. I took it to mean she was not aware that he had any other friends. - in other words, if he did she would have known them and been able to contact them for notification of his death.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

mvansand76

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2007, 07:44:58 am »
Thanks for the affirmation!  ;)  Seriously, it was nice to read that someone else experienced this as well.

Well, yeah, it's one of the few things that bugs in me in BBM!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2007, 10:20:14 am »
Your right, that is a good reason, but Jack didn't seem to really hide Ennis from Lureen, I mean she certainly knew about the fishing trips and he was even complaining to her about having to drive so far, so I don't really know why Jack would have to hide Ennis's address from Lureen because she knew about him anyway (well not everything about him) but she knew who he was.  

And if the friends were farm equipment guys wouldn't he need to keep track of them?

Unless they were 'friends' he met while on the road who didn't have anything to do with farm equipment. ??? ???

I thought of that--"friends" who have nothing to do with farm equipment--because I was reminded of the line in the story about Jack having a vague managerial title in the farm equipment business, traveling to shows and sales, and finding ways to spend the money he now had, but I didn't mention it because it seemed too strictly a "story" thing.

Did Jack really complain about the driving? Seems to me it's Lureen who passes a remark about the distance. Jack just points out that he has 14 hours of drivin' ahead of him--meaning he needs to get on the road--but he can't get on the road because he can't find that goddamn blue parka!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2007, 03:24:18 pm »
Barbara, thanks for posting the photo!

Shall we analyze the time on the clock and the two different colored lights on the wall over their heads?  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2007, 01:46:03 pm »
Shall we analyze the time on the clock and the two different colored lights on the wall over their heads?  :)

errr, hmmm....yes!  ;D

The two different coloured litghts do stand out, don't they? It seems so mismatched in the otherwise perfectly styled Twist home. Maybe that's where Jack draw the line: do what you want with the bedroom - but I won't have a pink light above my head  ;) :laugh:
Also, the bed seems so small to me. I guess it's what you call a queen size bed. Why didn't they have a king-sized bed? Or is it (or was is by then) ususal for married couples to sleep in such a narrow bed?
C'mon folks, let me hear some bed-stories from across the big pond  ;) ;D

Offline Ladyeve

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2007, 01:49:58 pm »
There was only one friend she knew of that was Ennis.   Hence her comment, "where bluebird sing and a whiskey spring." it was related to Jack and Ennis.    Ennis was the friend Jack talk about.  The knowledge of the relationship between them, well, I think she did know, but quietly accepted it.

She did know that Ennis was only one closer to Jack than she was.  The comment about Jack keeping all his friend numbers in his head, was more of stab at Ennis.  But then she told him to contact Jack's parents about the disposition of his ashes, on Brokeback which she thought was pretend place, it wasn't.  She knew Ennis was an important part of Jack's life.  How hard it must have been for her to speak to her rival.      

Lureen knew and excepted what was going on, Alma couldn't.  She compensated for it, by being more involve with business, and dealing with the idea you're not what your husband wants.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2007, 03:16:41 pm »
Lureen knew and excepted what was going on, Alma couldn't.  She compensated for it, by being more involve with business, and dealing with the idea you're not what your husband wants.

I am not sure Lureen knew (or cared for that matter).  Obviously we are only shown perhaps 20 minutes of screen time with them interacting to any real degree, but my sense is that Lureen was so connected to the family business, she really didn't have much of a clue about what was going on with Jack.  Notice the way they barely handle the problems with Bobby at school, and just about every scene has her hard at work barely looking up when talking to Jack.  His trips to Wyoming elicited almost no curiousity and no sneaky truth-checking like Alma managed.  Of course, after the kissing scene that's not too surprising.  But would Lureen have snuck a note in to a tackle box or even looked at a fishing pole or a price sticker?

I know a lot of people seem to feel Lureen realized something about Ennis and Jack while talking to Ennis, but as the months have passed, I am almost now wondering if her emotional reaction may have come as a realization Ennis seemed more destroyed by Jack's death than she was, and that shocked her because she had been so collected about it.

Other points: 

Jack's "friends" were quite likely those he had rendezvous with and it seems unlikely he would keep their contact information around, much less expose Lureen to them.

Lureen's comments seem to suggest that while she was a realist about her life, he was a perpetual dreamer that didn't always follow through, hence the remarks about idyllic places and situations which she never came to believe were necessarily real.

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

injest

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2007, 03:35:57 pm »
I don't know...seems to me that Lureen and Jack's marriage was a very distant one...it would make sense that Jack wouldn't tell her a lot. He was dependent on her for money, he was trying to hide Ennis (maybe not his existence but definitely his meaning) Once you start keeping secrets it gets hard to let ANY information out...you start seeing everything as a commodity to use or keep...because piece of information leads to another...if all you have that is really YOURS is your secrets You guard them carefully.

and I don't think Lureen 'knew' about Jack and Ennis during the call...my own theory is she was reciting from rote the story she had perfected. Whatever happened to Jack, whether she knew what happened or not. She had a child and an expensive business to run. She got that story and ran with it...Denial can be a strong ally. I think she was exasperated with having to trot it back out probably tired of reciting it...but did realize during the course of the conversation that Ennis DID care about Jack...at whatever level and that is when she relaxed enough to tell him about the ashes...

she sounded to me like she had reached that stage in grief where she was beginning to feel anger toward Jack for dying; but had the proper manners to not show it too much..