Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2596565 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #4490 on: June 30, 2008, 07:34:03 am »
Had a great time Saturday, tubing on the New River in the little town of McCoy in Montgomery County, near the Giles County line. It was a beautiful day, mostly sunny, it sprinkled just a little bit then the clouds went away.

For $9 you get and innertube, but in at the camp ground and float a mile down the river to the small rapids, nothing major, and you can get out before or after them, and take the bus back to the beginging as many times as you like. The water was pretty low Saturday, a couple of time I had to stand up and walk over the rocks.

Once I was to the rapids, I went thru them about a dozen times. It is set in a catarac that crosses the wide and shallow river. After a while I wade out and climbed up on the rocks to take in the scenery. The mountains and the hawks flying over them. The college age kids with their coolers of beer, the young girl going thru the rapids with her credit card in her teeth.

So where are the gay ones I thought, and soon enough here they came, two young buff guys in matching bathing suits, wading past me, to another rock, waaaaay out in the river, where they could sit side by each in private. I watched them for a long time, just sitting close and talking, often turning their faces to one another in their conversation insulated by the river. Bless them.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4491 on: June 30, 2008, 10:15:48 am »
Ok, a little soccer news. SPAIN, EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS!!! YESSSSS CAMPEONES OLE!!!! idon't usually follow soccer but this has been a great victory. GO SPAIN!!!!

Back to topic  ;D
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4492 on: June 30, 2008, 11:27:07 am »
And the first time since 1964?! That is Excellent! VIVA ESPANA!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4493 on: June 30, 2008, 12:51:49 pm »
Sometimes life is so surreal.

I had a check from a new tenant a day ahead of time (they sometimes start out that way) and needed to take it to the bank. It was not too hot, the breeze was blowing and I decided I would walk insted of drive.

And as soon as I did, I swear I could smell the ocean.  :D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4494 on: June 30, 2008, 09:11:04 pm »
Sometimes life is so surreal.

I had a check from a new tenant a day ahead of time (they sometimes start out that way) and needed to take it to the bank. It was not too hot, the breeze was blowing and I decided I would walk insted of drive.

And as soon as I did, I swear I could smell the ocean.  :D

I don't think that's strange at all.  When I was in Huntsville, AL, and it was particularly hot, and a breeze came, I often thought it was like a breeze from the Gulf of Mexico.  We were talkin this weekend about different qualities of air and light that different places seem to imbue...one of those incredibly hard-to-describe-yet-still-nearly-tangible-things.  ;) :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #4495 on: June 30, 2008, 09:13:44 pm »
I don't think that's strange at all.  When I was in Huntsville, AL, and it was particularly hot, and a breeze came, I often thought it was like a breeze from the Gulf of Mexico.  We were talkin this weekend about different qualities of air and light that different places seem to imbue...one of those incredibly hard-to-describe-yet-still-nearly-tangible-things.  ;) :-*

and I was just discussing with my friend that I wanted to go out and take pics of her horses in their new pen at about 5 one day this week. The setting and the way the light comes across is just beautiful..the same light here doesnt' seem the same...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4496 on: June 30, 2008, 09:20:33 pm »
and I was just discussing with my friend that I wanted to go out and take pics of her horses in their new pen at about 5 one day this week. The setting and the way the light comes across is just beautiful..the same light here doesnt' seem the same...

I completely agree, Jess...that watery, pale light near dawn is very different from light later in the day and at other places...It's funny but even after Fine Arts 101 or whatever multiple times it took the movie The Lake House with Keanu talking with his architect father about light in different places around the world - Chicago vs Barcelona vs Florence etc. for me finally really grasp the concept!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #4497 on: June 30, 2008, 09:28:29 pm »
I completely agree, Jess...that watery, pale light near dawn is very different from light later in the day and at other places...It's funny but even after Fine Arts 101 or whatever multiple times it took the movie The Lake House with Keanu talking with his architect father about light in different places around the world - Chicago vs Barcelona vs Florence etc. for me finally really grasp the concept!

and me...I 'get' it...I just dont' know how to capture it.  :P

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4498 on: July 01, 2008, 03:26:55 pm »
and me...I 'get' it...I just dont' know how to capture it.  :P

First, you have to let it capture you, bathe in it and drink it all in.

Then after a while it will be a part of you and you can capture it.

(Somebody call the plummer!!  :laugh: )

injest

« Reply #4499 on: July 01, 2008, 06:50:33 pm »
First, you have to let it capture you, bathe in it and drink it all in.

Then after a while it will be a part of you and you can capture it.

(Somebody call the plummer!!  :laugh: )

I was just wanting to get a picture....

:laugh: