Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2596149 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #4520 on: July 05, 2008, 06:05:38 pm »
More of Madrid's Gay Pride. And I did make it to the Parade after all, but could not see it all. Too many people.

More on Facebook...
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4521 on: July 06, 2008, 03:45:42 pm »
you're on face book tru?

Add me!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4522 on: July 06, 2008, 05:45:58 pm »
you're on face book tru?

Add me!

You know I thought I did, that must have been myspace, oi yev all these things run together in me haid.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4523 on: July 06, 2008, 06:00:44 pm »
You know I thought I did, that must have been myspace, oi yev all these things run together in me haid.

Your's and everybody's.

NADAL #1 YESSSSS!!!!! This has definitely been a great year for Spain's sports. No spaniard had won Wimbledon since 1966!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4524 on: July 06, 2008, 10:19:55 pm »
Way to go, Rafael!  Love the lefties!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4525 on: July 06, 2008, 11:06:59 pm »
 :D

There's geneology/archive.com kind of ads to the right when I'm looking at your blog!

:D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4526 on: July 07, 2008, 07:35:06 am »
That is very strange, I only get ringtone ads.

Sounds like this is going to be the year of Spain. First the Eurocup and now Nadal ins at Wimbledon, it will be interesting to see what happens at the Olympics. (Or maybe it is just a lefty thing  ;) )

Long weekend was nice. I got to go to my friend Carol's house for a pot luck get together and firsw works on the 4th. Waited and waited thru the rain for the sun to go down and about the time they were ready to fire them a sherriffs deputy showed up. Turns out he was looking for a purpetrator of a domestic violence incident up the road who had escaped into the woods and the deputy wanted up to keep an eye out for him. Well of course when she explained this to the asssembled 60 or so people everyone was sure they had seen someone they did not recognize at some point, someone coming out of the woods, all BS I am sure.

The fireworks went off at 10 pm, I got pics over at my pictures of the day.

Saturday I saw a great movie that came highly recommended and I will add my endorsement: WallE. It is an animated feature rated G but the story is a universal one.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e16U8UsT4I[/youtube]

Ah now to get my mind back together to go to work. How do I do that?............

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4527 on: July 08, 2008, 05:56:23 pm »
Way to go, Rafael!  Love the lefties!

He's a cutie isn't he!?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4528 on: July 08, 2008, 08:32:53 pm »
So the past few days I have found myself challenged, in a good way, by the concept of hatred and the roll it has played in my life.

It started innocently enough with the passing of Jesse Helms.

I started the thread about his death in the current events section and knew it would probably be controversial and there was a good amount of back and forth. For a person who does his best to slink away from confrontation I can say I have seen much worse. The conflict seemed to come from how was the proper way to view the death of the controversial politician. You can go over there and read for yourself, I have given myself a dead line on this one.

I will admit that when I heard the news I felt a sort of excitement, he was someone I had loathed in my time and that I had lived to see the day he was no more felt like a vindication.

But it was a far cry from when Nixon resigned.

First I would like to say I am mostly Irish and I voluntarily reinforce the stereotype that we can hold grudge unlike anyone else. When I visited the island in 1996 and took my friends' Auntie Eilo cartons of cigarettes, she told me countless stories of people who had done her wrong, of the Church her family did not attend for a century because a priest had made some offense against them involving the expropriation of a donkey, it was flabbergasting.

When I was 4 years old I can remember waiting int he car when my mother got out on a rainy day to retrieve a box strapped to our mail box from the Democrat Party of Virginia, addressed to my father. It was a dart board with Richard Nixon's picture on it. They hated Nixon. What had Nixon done to them? He was a Republican and had won the 1968 election!

By 1974 his career was over, and I reveled in it. I didn't understand the first thing about Watergate but I painted a bed sheet with a caricature of him with the words "Kick Nixon Out". When my mother told me one afternoon at the back door that he was expected to appear that night on TV to resign I danced the happy dance. I even tried recording the audio with my tape recorder, which as fate would have it shorted out on that critical occasion and I only got static.

This lead to hatred of that particular brand of audio instruments, the name now long forgotten, and eventual hatred of Gerald Ford for pardoning that criminal. The purchase of a new one was not done at Sears, for an offense my mother had perceived from them in 1970, and don't even get me started on Jimmy Carter.

I think about these things now, the need to rush to judgement of a thing as either good or bad as part of the eternal "we vs. them " game that has been going on for ages. Eurasia vs. Eastasia, black and white compartmentalization, left over from the days when one had to quickly sum up a judgement about a development because life depended on it.

When I was about 25 I met a relative who has to be the Queen of all Judgements. She had no room for any dissension from what she thought was right. Dismissed me all together when I made some remark that probably had an off color word in it and thismissed my mother, who had been her seamstress, when she found out she was also doing work for a woman whose reputation she did not approve of.

Insanity I tell you!

Gradually over time my mind became so full of the running score of this opinion and that opinion I could not handle it any more and probably while watching some PBS documentary about Joseph Campbell or Desmond Tutu I learned how destructive it really was. I learned how to practice forgiveness because it frees you from the offense, real or imagined, that someone else has done to you.

It is also easier said than done. Rich and Chuck can tell you, I have a postcard of Ronald and Nancy Reagan on my livingroom wall I bought in DuPont Circle in Washington, D.C. in 1983. When I moved in to my house in 1990 I affixed it one drunken night to the wall with a roofing nail thru Reagan's heart.

Everytime I think of taking it down all I can think about is how the clawhammer could potentially damage the card more. 

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #4529 on: July 08, 2008, 09:09:51 pm »
LOL! It's true!  ;D
I have seen the post card myself!
I can relate to much of what you say.
I learned how to practice forgiveness because it frees you from the offense, real or imagined, that someone else has done to you.
This is a good thing. Like Nannie always said "hate only destroys the vessel that carries it".
I guess that can be extrapolated to anger or any vengeful emotion. The people you are mad at could care less and it would probably make some of them glad to know they had some effect on ya. It takes to much time and energy to be angry at stupid people so i try not to be. Funny thing is i seem to be able to let go of all the anger and animosity I have at everyone other than myself. I guess i still need to work on that.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"