Author Topic: Least favorite criticism of Brokeback Mountain  (Read 16850 times)

Offline iheartBBM

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • Harold Ramis Forever
Re: Least favorite criticism of Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2006, 12:59:29 am »
Good point, there, iheart.  (You wouldn't happen to be of iheartjake fame, would ya?  ;))

LOL nope, not me.  I love that website, I only wish I had made it! lol

I also hate the "It's just liberal Hollywood promoting its gay agenda" criticism... That one is ridiculous.  Oh yes, Hollywood's gay agenda... it's overpowering, gee you can hardly go into a theatre anymore without finding one of those gay movies! If I ever heard someone use that criticism to me, I would want to knock them over the head -- using Crash's Best Picture Oscar.
STRAIGHT but not NARROW

CHRISTIAN but not HOMOPHOBIC

:) :) :) :)

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 12:39:44 am »
Alright, I just heard someone say that they didn't like this movie because there was no message to it. This person thought it was just a love story, that's it, and all that he got out of it was "people are stupid." (I'm supposing this is referring to homophobic society.)

I had trouble responding to that one. At first I was like, "uh, duh." I've always seen the intimacy of the love story in favor of gay-rights themes being one of the films strengths, and still do. I also used Ennis' devotion to his daughters as a sign that this film subtly promotes good parenting.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 07:36:15 pm »
On the subject of adultery.....if the adultery is such a big deal then why wasn't there controversy over Walk the Line?  Granted its a biopic but one could also argue that Walk the Line 'promotes adultery'.....

So that excuse doesn't fly...

TJ

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 09:19:41 pm »
Most of the negative criticisms that I have read about the movie on various websites, and especially the thinly disguised Southern Baptist one at crosswalk.com, which pretends it is an independent parachurch organization, comes from people who have only heard about the movie and have never seen it.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 04:23:56 pm »
Most of the negative criticisms that I have read about the movie on various websites, and especially the thinly disguised Southern Baptist one at crosswalk.com, which pretends it is an independent parachurch organization, comes from people who have only heard about the movie and have never seen it.

This is true.  And I'd add this to my list if I could:  "Any or all of the above when spoken by someone WHO HASN'T EVEN SEEN IT."  GAH!!!!!

No more beans!

TJ

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 12:00:17 am »
This is true.  And I'd add this to my list if I could:  "Any or all of the above when spoken by someone WHO HASN'T EVEN SEEN IT."  GAH!!!!!

And your quote also applies to the TV talkshow host/comedians who made fun of the move before they even knew what it was about, since they had not even seen it yet.

Offline DecaturTxCowboy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2006, 10:25:05 pm »
Obviously...mine.
Take it like a man - steady and strong, not a lot of fuss and carring on.  True to a promise, I can ride in any storm.  So bend over and take it like a man...Too much of a good thing is a good thing.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2006, 09:07:08 am »
GAH!  Just heard from another (ex? ;)) online friend at another forum today that she just saw the movie and thought it was "just another love story, and if it had been about a straight couple, no one would have cared."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

That's like a combo of two or three of my least favorite criticisms all at once.  An Idiot Trifecta, if you will.

I said, "Well, it *isn't* about a straight couple.  That's the point.  Idiot."  (Well, not that last part, but I wanted to.  Bad.)  I then went on to say that the obstacle in this case isn't just their families or their ethnicity or society - it's themselves.  Ennis has had homophobia (and self-loathing, since he is a homosexual) so deeply ingrained in him since childhood by his family and society that he can't overcome it, and that's what keeps them apart and ultimately causes Jack's death, both spiritually and physically.  I said that Jack was able to overcome all of that not in small part through the unconditional love of his mother (I figured this ought to appeal to her since she is the mother of two pre-teen boys, and it's the truth), the mean-spiritness and lack of acceptance on all levels from his father be damned.  And I said that I'm sorry if she missed that, because that's what makes the movie so powerful.

She had also compared it to Crash (and of course very unfavorably), when no one asked her to.  Boy, these Crashies sure feel behooved to defend that movie at every opportunity even when no one was attacking it, don't they?  Kinda reminds me of - oh, I don't know - a certain administration?  Protest too much... much?

Sorry - just needed to vent.  Again.
No more beans!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 02:44:19 am »
Actually, ALL OF THE ABOVE...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 07:48:24 pm »
Good god, I hate ALL those reasons!  But adultery and Hollywood's gay liberal agenda top the list.

What a great poll idea!
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.