Author Topic: Roots  (Read 41189 times)

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Roots
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 12:30:57 pm »
I'm so glad this story is complete. I have only read the first chapter, but I like it already. I still hope he finishes Widower one day, but meanwhile I'm happy to have this story.
Leslie

Offline bailey

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 09:41:48 am »
Written by the author of Widower for One Year, 271Horses, is an amazing story about Earl and Rich.

The story posted here, is complete.

http://271horses.livejournal.com/1913.html
http://271horses.livejournal.com/2206.html
http://271horses.livejournal.com/2459.html
http://271horses.livejournal.com/2647.html
http://271horses.livejournal.com/2977.html
http://271horses.livejournal.com/3097.html
http://271horses.livejournal.com/3559.html
http://271horses.livejournal.com/3706.html
http://271horses.livejournal.com/3987.html
http://271horses.livejournal.com/4306.html
http://271horses.livejournal.com/4401.html

I can't believe there aren't more replies on this thread.  "Roots" is the best bbm fanfic to date.  The writing, the subject matter, the development, narrative flow, authentic detail are all head and shoulders above anything else out there.  It's really not accurate to call it fanfic.  It's a sure enough novel.  I'd be green with envy if I wasn't so wrapped up in AJ's amazing work.  This one stands alone.  There is nothing else like it in the fandom.  It's the real deal.  I urge anyone that loves Brokeback to read this backstory of Earl and Rich's lives.  You don't know what you're missing.

bailey

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 03:42:27 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation guys! I'm going to start this tonight... can you believe I still haven't read "Widower"?? I keep hearing about it...

:)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 04:15:41 pm »
This story is beautiful, truthful, and believable. The love between these two men is so apparent you can almost reach out and touch it. Their sensuality conveys love better than any graphic sex scenes I’ve read in fan fiction.

Bailey is right - this goes beyond fan fiction. Everyone should read Roots.

one_of_one

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 11:15:17 am »
Awesome and amazing are all I can say right now.  It's an epic novel stretching across, what, 50? 60? years.

Captivating and engrossing.  Such detail. 

I love it.

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 11:57:14 am »
I'm going to give this one a go.

Bit worried it's going to leave me weeping by the end, given the subject matter. Sometimes it's worth it though.

Karen

one_of_one

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 12:34:57 pm »
I don't know about anyone else but going into it knowing what happened to Earl made everything in Part I so poignant. 

Part II felt like that irreversible fall that Ennis went into on the last day on the mountain.  All paths leading to the inevitable conclusion.  And the aftermath of Earl's death was extremely well told.

In Part II I found the character of Elvon (Ennis's father) fascinating.  His development from a small boy to the man who dragged his sons to see the body of Earl in the ditch was so realistic, and so sad.

Tied up with the whole story of Earl and Rich was the bigger picture of the decline of the West.  And the story of both just came together like an elaborate tapestry. 

And how different Earl and Rich were to Ennis and Jack. It seemed so simple when the former decided to make a life together.  If only the latter had had more self belief and less self hatred.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 02:35:15 pm »
Everything one_of_one said goes ditto for me - I just can't say it as eloquently.

I had reservations about reading this story, too, but I feel 271horses' writing is so worth the trip.

The love between Earl and Rich and how they express it is beyond words. No graphic sex scenes are needed - it's already very erotic. The scene where Ennis's dad looks at the windows at night will stay with me a long time.

It took me about three days to read this and digest it and I am still incoherent. Later I'd like to talk about the symbolism and spirituality in Roots, including the name of this piece.

cc33 / Leslie

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 02:40:17 pm »
bump

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 12:59:21 am »
bump

I'm sure I'll get over it, someday.

Maybe.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 06:15:28 am »
I've started reading this and I have to say that it is wonderful. I'm not so worried by the inevitable ending now - but facinated to see the journey the characters take.

The writing is wonderfully evocotive, and the description very rich.

Unfortunately, I'm far from eloquent, but I'll try to write an appropriate response to this story.

Karen

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 12:17:15 pm »
Oh I am so glad you are reading this. Let me know when you have finished the whole story. It took me about three days to read then another few days to absorb. I'd love to discuss it with others.
Leslie

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 02:14:31 pm »
I see no reason why this shouoldn't be actually published. Somehow, I think AP would give her permission (there are precedents for things like that).

coffeecat--what is wrong with discussing it with the people who have posted on this thread?

I'd like to add a minor point: if the story consisted of nothing but the entire list of proper names used in it, it would be worth reading.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

mvansand76

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 05:54:10 pm »
I can't believe there aren't more replies on this thread.  "Roots" is the best bbm fanfic to date.  The writing, the subject matter, the development, narrative flow, authentic detail are all head and shoulders above anything else out there.  It's really not accurate to call it fanfic.  It's a sure enough novel.  I'd be green with envy if I wasn't so wrapped up in AJ's amazing work.  This one stands alone.  There is nothing else like it in the fandom.  It's the real deal.  I urge anyone that loves Brokeback to read this backstory of Earl and Rich's lives.  You don't know what you're missing.

bailey

Wellllll you sure know how to convince a girl, Bailey.... ;) Will start reading it once I have finished my own writing... thanks for the recommendation!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 12:04:54 am »
Odd, when i had read it...I stopped writing altogether.

Does anyone know who "271 Horses" is?

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 05:17:30 pm »
I know what you mean; I have hardly been able to read or write much else either since I finished Roots/Earl & Rich.

271horses also wrote Widower which is a great piece of writing although unfinished. I have seen other people refer to him as AJ. He might be on the DC boards, but I don't know. He seems to reply to all of his comments.

cc33 / Leslie K.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 10:03:27 pm »
Yes--isn't it wonderful how he weighs and answers all comments so carefully!

Sid tells me he IS on DC, andf listed under "271 Horses." I thought I had looked through all the numbered members (as in "271")--but couldn't find him. I'll look again.
Since two members of my immediate family supported (and one still does) themselves entirely by writing, the first thing I think of when i read something wonderful is "A LOT OF PEOPLE SHOULD READ THIS." Especially when the scope of the work, as in "Roots," goes far beyond the territory of BBM (which is not to say it doesn't lay the groundwork for BBM). But it stands by itself--I think.

His answer was that he did not feel himself "in the same league" with AP,--but it's a NOVEL, not s short story, and wonderful short stories can be counted on the toes asnd fingers of one man.
Why not compare it, for instance, to Conan Doyle's "A Study in  Scarlet"? (really a short novel) Which I think an inferior work to his (although I enjoyed it).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 12:44:57 am by twistedude »

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 11:32:04 pm »
Yes, unquestionably, ROOTS stands on its own. Fitting, isn't it? It has the support, or roots, it needs to stand on its own.

cc33

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2006, 02:30:45 am »

I made an avatar for ROOTS

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 03:02:38 am »
It's not that people were more tolerant 100 years ago, as 271 Horses says, it's just that they didn't know as much about what was going on around them.

I googled "Paris, Texas," by Ry Cooder, and "Bill" by Tin Hat trio. "Bill" is the "mood music" for part 1; "Paris, Texas," for part 2.

Only got a sample of "Bill." It's played by a low fiddle or viola, in slow waltz tempo--it can't make up its mind whether it's major or minor, but every four phrases or so, it seems to resolve itself. Sounds deeply felt, sounds old.
I heard all of "Paris, Texas." (It's in a cult film by the same name, by Wim Wenders, of all people). It's played by a solo guitar, and BOY, is it sad, desolate.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS, though I personally don't think so.
A few comments, which i hope are not spoilers. We've all seen Brokeback Mountain, and heard Ennis's brief story about Rich and Earl.

First, the story begins before the 19th century does. It is truly an education about the forbears and the times of the "roots" of both Rich and Earl. As the story progresses, we learn a lot about horseflesh, cattle driving, sheephearding, small towns, desert, woods, rocks,  and the men and women of the west between 1825 and 1953, and how they lived and worked, especially those whose work kept them constantly moving, like Rich and Earl, during the first half of it.

The two men are quite different from each other, and this makes the love story all the sweeter.  I have to confess to going back to re-read the first half, after reading the whole stiory twice.  You will not find pages and pages of NC17 stuff...just enough.

Unfortunately, probably the very best chapter (people may disagree) is 6B in part 2, which has red flags set up all around it to warn away the squeemish, or otherwise disinclined to read of violence. He (271 Horses) goes into the motives of all the killers, which stretch back over time...and don't assume, from what I've said, that it's a premeditated lynching. Things..fall into place, like many complicated decisions. And for anyone who watches horror flicks, the action in the chazpter shouldn't be too overwhelming--except, of course that we have grown to love the victim(s). O.K. It's pretty bad, but it's so greatly crafted; he must have slaved over it...

I hope I haven't said too much. "Roots" also refers to something besides people--as you might expect, where things grow, and have stopped growing (for the most part).

What's the mater? never read a short novel before?

This is a dogwood tree, which is about the right longitude (which shows you the above and below marks), but the wrong latitude (which shows you the side-by-sdiemarks) for the first part of the story.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 06:17:34 am by twistedude »

Offline Sid401k

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 08:47:29 pm »
I don't know what to say about Roots except that it totally blew me away.  From the first page, it hooked me hard and dragged me into a world, full of grand landscapes, fascinating characters, and "interesting" times.  The tale of Rich and Earl, and their murderous neighbors, proceeds with a kind of inevitablilty, as we watch them all moving helplessly toward their ultimate fates.

I don't want to reveal any spoilers, or I could say a lot more.  This is a wonderful tale, and I can't imagine anybody reading it and not loving it.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 08:52:59 pm »
Sid - I feel the same way! It's hard to describe, isn't it? I tried to leave comments for 271horses at the ends of chapters but found I had no words!

We can discuss Roots here. If there's a spoiler, we just need to add ******* SPOILERS ********* at the top of the message.

It does proceed with an inevitability, doesn't it? It's not an unpredictable end most of us are looking for, it's the journey and Roots certainly takes us there.

Come back to this thread, okay?

cc33 / Leslie

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2006, 06:40:50 am »
I know i said a lot--i didn;t know i said anything wrong. Sid doesn't come around very often; he was just passing through.

bump...

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2006, 07:48:05 pm »

I played around with a couple more avatars today. Here they are. That's a black cottonwood tree in the background.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2006, 03:30:09 am »
That's much better than my dogwood. More appropriate!

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2006, 11:00:54 am »
here's a black cottonwood

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2006, 11:02:00 am »
and another one

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 11:44:26 pm »
They're beau-ti-ful.

O.K. It isn't light any funny. It's serious as a heart attack for the most part. But not always....

« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 12:02:18 am by twistedude »

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2006, 07:46:49 am »
Dang  - I'm still trying to find time to sit down and really do this story justice.

I keep reading such fantastic things about it.

Karen

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2006, 10:42:35 am »
Karen,
I would suggest downloading the first chapter or two & printing it out. That way you don't have to be at your computer to read it.
anxiously awaiting your opinion,
cc33 / Leslie K.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2006, 11:57:45 am »
Karen,
Let me know if you get a chance to read this, okay? Hope the suggestion to download the first couple chapters helped. I don't always like to sit at the computer & read so sometimes I print these stories out. That way I can curl up in my chair with a cat on my lap and read in comfort.
Leslie.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2006, 03:22:27 pm »
coffeecat:

The entire Dave Cullen board drools over this fanfic 24/7...guess we're all idiots over here (no offence meant). I finally memorized:

chanawoonit
tobitskomah

I guess a Grman Hungarian Jew can pass for an Indian...on a dark night!

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2006, 05:47:25 pm »
I'm not usually over at Dave Cullen, but BetterMost and Ennisjack don't seem to be reading this fabulous piece of work. Guess I'll make an exception and go over to DC. Thanks!
cc

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2006, 06:46:46 pm »
Karen,
I would suggest downloading the first chapter or two & printing it out. That way you don't have to be at your computer to read it.
anxiously awaiting your opinion,
cc33 / Leslie K.

Hi Leslie

My home printer isn't working at the moment and I have to wait for a day when my boss is off to do it at work. I've read the opening and I have to day the writing is incredible, very evocotive. I could feel and taste what was being described.

I will certainly let you know how I am progressing. With some time off coming up it should be a bit easier.

Karen

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2006, 10:59:18 pm »
The first few chapters are like the past seeped up from the ground and surrounded you, and you were living in it

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2006, 01:06:02 am »
I did feel like I was living in this story. It took a little while to assimilate it.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2006, 05:26:00 am »
I hope this doesn't scare anyone (any writing one) away, but for a month  after I
 read "Roots," I couldn't write asnything.

Finally bergan writing a little again....just because you can't write anywhere near as well as 271 Horses doesn't mean you should STOP....

Nobody should stop.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2006, 08:38:42 pm »
I agree, Julie. I walked up to the store the other day & on the way home a plot-bunny started to form in my mind so when I got home I just sat at the computer and wrote till it was done. It's a one-shot & it's posted on LJ. I had to keep the characters and not think about 271horses's excellent prose. Otherwise I would never have written anything. Again, it shouldn't prevent anyone from reading "Roots."

cc33 / Leslie

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2007, 11:30:29 am »
I just finished reading ROOTS and I am bowled over. What a story!!! and It is SO well written. I dropped some comments on AJ's livejournal page if your interested in more of what I thought.

Outstanding!!
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2007, 12:18:36 pm »
Oh I am SO GLAD you read this milomorris! I think it's an outstanding story, too. One of the best fiction writers around. Don't know why more people aren't discussing this, it's so beautiful and loving.

What is one of the things you like about it?

cc33 / Leslie

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2007, 01:43:38 pm »

cc33 / Leslie

First, I really like AJ's style in this story. His prose is just masterful. The historical parts were intiguing. Especially the escape from Scotland.

I think what made this story hurt so much is the way AJ tells us about the hard life that both men had growing up. The idea that they are both lost souls set adrift by life and circumstances. Then they find each other. Their love blooms in such a pure, natural way. It was one fo the most tender love stories I have read in a long time.

I cried through reading Earl's murder. Then was sickened with grief to read about the fire. The horror was so complete that I got nauseous. I don't believe in schadefreude, but I do feel that as the curse was fulfilled, each man got what he deserved. I just have this nagging feeling that Ennis' sexuality and the tragedy with Jack were all part of the curse. I can't help that feeling that fate played a hand in Ennis and Jack never being able to have that sweet life together. Ennis' father took that sweet life from Rich and Earl. There was no way Ennis was going to get to live it.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2007, 07:31:06 pm »
Oh I am SO GLAD you read this milomorris! I think it's an outstanding story, too. One of the best fiction writers around. Don't know why more people aren't discussing this, it's so beautiful and loving.

cc33 / Leslie

I think there are a lot of people discussing it, just for some reason not at BM... I know almost everyone at DC loves this fic and they go through huge periods where they quote it and talk about nothing but it. I still unfortunately haven't gotten to read it, I'm in the middle of too many WIPs and am a little afraid to start it because I know how emotionally attached I get to stories that are as good as I know this one will be... esp knowing that one of the main characters will die, I have to work my way up to it.   :-\
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2007, 06:44:47 pm »
from Part 1, chapter 3b

The day took them into a long stretch of open ground into the lands around the Fremont River. Dust spiraled into the sky, stirred by Arrabal’s herd up ahead, and their own charges had to be watched like hawks for any sign of bolting. At dinner, with Tomaso and Hector by the fire, Earl felt shy of Rich and could hardly raise his eyes to the other man’s without his cheeks burning. His arms and legs seemed attached to each other by wires like a marionette’s, and every fiber of his clothing worried his skin and stirred him.
Another box canyon, considerably larger than the last, served as their evening camp, one whose breadth and lack of cover forced the watchstanders to be vigilant all the night through. Even so, there was no moment that passed in those hours that either man was unaware of precisely where the other was. Riding their vigil on the herd, their eyes sought each other like the moon pulled by the tide. The next day, spying the red hair gleaming in the sun across the river of cattle, Rich wondered, who was the moon, who the sea?
He asked the question of himself, but couldn’t answer it.

They had found a shaggy pinon whose lower boughs had broken under a recent snow, drooping to the ground, and there they found shelter and privacy. Clothes were shed and shoved to the bottom of the bedroll. Less shy on this much warmer night, Earl gloried in their increased intimacy, letting his hands wander down Rich’s bare back, unconsciously clutching, guiding.
The other man hesitated, fearful to hurt him, and brought their faces close, an unspoken question.
Earl fastened his hands around Rich’s buttocks, his silent answer, urging, then pulling him in, holding him at the spot where the pleasure was deepest. Then, beyond shame, he wriggled against the probing flesh, Rich moving, seeking, eyes asking, Here? Here? Like this? And Earl’s closing, his breaths coming in spasmodic gasps, gripping him with his loins as he went under. He felt Rich’s mouth clap over his own as the surging overwhelmed him, swallowing the cry like a diving bird’s.

All day his hunger grew, till that night when Tomaso and Hector fell finally asleep, and he boldly rode right up to Rich, needing him to answer it. They found a small overlook above the herd and spread the blanket out. Earl embraced him with such intensity that Rich drew back and cradled his cheek, soothing,
Whoa there.
He indicated the full moon above.
We got us till that theres full up agin fore we come to the Green River.
He brushed Earl’s lips with a thumb.
Aint got a do it all in one night. Plenty a time between now and then a git to know each other real well.
Earl lay back, liquid in the other man’s arms, drinking from his lips like a last-chance well.
The thought of the Green River filled him with dread. He couldn’t bring himself to ask, or even think, what happens when we cross it, what then?

Dear lord...

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2007, 03:12:35 pm »
O.K. guys.This is only the best piece of fafiction ever written (can I say that?), that's all. get on the stick.

The first six chapters are full of breathing histoiry an romance; the last six chapters are full of Rage and revenge (but not your ordinary bang you're dead kind of revenge!). They also set the stage for Ennis (who makes an  apppearance--the story ends i n1952)). You can feel the author's fury.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2007, 08:53:53 pm »
Ok, I just re read that part I quoted forever ago and I'm still blown away...

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2017, 03:25:58 am »
Guys, so, i moved on to reading fanfic (is this kind of next stage of Brokeism??).
I would really love to read Roots and Widower, but seems there are not online anymore.
Where and / or how can i read these?

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2017, 01:08:09 am »
Anybody able to help?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 12:31:23 pm »
Sorry, I have no knowledge of fan fiction whereabouts, and most of the fan fiction readers aren't active here any more, but Pentheslea might be able to help you.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 01:22:30 am »
Sorry, I have no knowledge of fan fiction whereabouts, and most of the fan fiction readers aren't active here any more, but Pentheslea might be able to help you.

Sorry from me, too. I've been out of fan fiction for years and never read Roots.
Maybe you could PM Milomorris and ask if he has saved it. Just click on his user name on this thread and then hit "send member a personal message".

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2017, 03:49:01 am »
Thanks a lot you two! I will try.

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2017, 04:37:52 am »
I don't know about anyone else but going into it knowing what happened to Earl made everything in Part I so poignant.  
Part II felt like that irreversible fall that Ennis went into on the last day on the mountain.  All paths leading to the inevitable conclusion.  And the aftermath of Earl's death was extremely well told.
In Part II I found the character of Elvon (Ennis's father) fascinating.  His development from a small boy to the man who dragged his sons to see the body of Earl in the ditch was so realistic, and so sad.
Tied up with the whole story of Earl and Rich was the bigger picture of the decline of the West.  And the story of both just came together like an elaborate tapestry.  
And how different Earl and Rich were to Ennis and Jack. It seemed so simple when the former decided to make a life together.  If only the latter had had more self belief and less self hatred.

Friends, i read it. === Spoilers ahead ====
....... I'm at a loss for words. One word - HUNTING!

First, as a non-native English speaker "Roots" was a bit hard for me to read. Lots of unfamiliar words, too *blush*.

Second, i get the whole idea of the story - seeds, roots, branches. But at times the number of roots and the number of branches is a bit overwhelming. I wished there was some kind of chart depicting ALL those characters and their relationships. The person who wrote this must have had one for sure!!

Third, again, i get the idea of roots, but i felt that maybe the story went too far back. Why do we need to know the story of Rich's grandfather? So we know that his father was a halfbreed, too? I think the story actually starts in 1799, 100 years before Earl and Rich meet.

Fourth (now comes the positive stuff ha), the plot after Earl and Rich meet is GREAT. When i think about BBM it does really seem odd that Ennis' parents missed the only curve in a familiar road. "Roots" implies that this was the works of a curse for what Ennis' daddy had done to Earl. And it is so sad and ironic that Ennis' cursed fate leads him to fall in love with a man, with whom he will not be able to be together, constantly being apart, to be tortured by longing and in the end to have the love of his life being taken from him by tire irons.
[Note 1: Milomorris questioned whether the curse affected Ennis' and Jacks fates. It did - it's clearly stated by Rich that he curses all Elvon's children.]
[Note 2: I still believe Jack was killed by an accident, but for the sake of argument and continuity in view of "Roots" lets say he was killed by tire irons.]

Also, regarding the plot. I agree with the author that Rich would not have called the sheriff. That he also would not have just gone ahead on a revenge mission killing off everybody with a gun. The author gives the story a bit of mystery and superstitiousness by making Rich a half-Indian who speaks a mysterious language and sometimes executes mysterious rituals (the funeral) and then by introducing all those animals who seemingly carry out the curse. But the actual actions Rich takes after Earl's death are very believable. I agree that Rich would not want to live on without Earl. I agree that he would make sure any of their property would be gone together with them. (But maybe this is based on Rich's character in "Roots".) Therefore, the story after Earl's death is extremely well done.

And fifth,
You can feel the author's fury.
Yes. First part after Earl meets Rich is just beautiful. Second part is all burning in fury like that fire at Lazy Y. Great story!

There were some things that i did not understand, though:
Why did Elvon shift from being friends with E&R to hating them? Was it just the influence of his friends? Peer pressure? As far as i can see E&R had done him nothing wrong.
What happened between Rich and his father? I was not sure about their last time together, why they parted and why Rich was having some hard time with something that happened before that.

I will go have a look at DC forum.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2017, 12:39:11 pm »
I'm glad you were able to find it!

Esp since it seems to really have made an impression on you.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2017, 08:18:38 pm »
Glad  to see you found  the fic you were looking for.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!