Author Topic: Roots  (Read 41298 times)

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Roots
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2006, 10:42:35 am »
Karen,
I would suggest downloading the first chapter or two & printing it out. That way you don't have to be at your computer to read it.
anxiously awaiting your opinion,
cc33 / Leslie K.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2006, 11:57:45 am »
Karen,
Let me know if you get a chance to read this, okay? Hope the suggestion to download the first couple chapters helped. I don't always like to sit at the computer & read so sometimes I print these stories out. That way I can curl up in my chair with a cat on my lap and read in comfort.
Leslie.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2006, 03:22:27 pm »
coffeecat:

The entire Dave Cullen board drools over this fanfic 24/7...guess we're all idiots over here (no offence meant). I finally memorized:

chanawoonit
tobitskomah

I guess a Grman Hungarian Jew can pass for an Indian...on a dark night!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2006, 05:47:25 pm »
I'm not usually over at Dave Cullen, but BetterMost and Ennisjack don't seem to be reading this fabulous piece of work. Guess I'll make an exception and go over to DC. Thanks!
cc

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2006, 06:46:46 pm »
Karen,
I would suggest downloading the first chapter or two & printing it out. That way you don't have to be at your computer to read it.
anxiously awaiting your opinion,
cc33 / Leslie K.

Hi Leslie

My home printer isn't working at the moment and I have to wait for a day when my boss is off to do it at work. I've read the opening and I have to day the writing is incredible, very evocotive. I could feel and taste what was being described.

I will certainly let you know how I am progressing. With some time off coming up it should be a bit easier.

Karen

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2006, 10:59:18 pm »
The first few chapters are like the past seeped up from the ground and surrounded you, and you were living in it
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2006, 01:06:02 am »
I did feel like I was living in this story. It took a little while to assimilate it.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2006, 05:26:00 am »
I hope this doesn't scare anyone (any writing one) away, but for a month  after I
 read "Roots," I couldn't write asnything.

Finally bergan writing a little again....just because you can't write anywhere near as well as 271 Horses doesn't mean you should STOP....

Nobody should stop.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2006, 08:38:42 pm »
I agree, Julie. I walked up to the store the other day & on the way home a plot-bunny started to form in my mind so when I got home I just sat at the computer and wrote till it was done. It's a one-shot & it's posted on LJ. I had to keep the characters and not think about 271horses's excellent prose. Otherwise I would never have written anything. Again, it shouldn't prevent anyone from reading "Roots."

cc33 / Leslie

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2007, 11:30:29 am »
I just finished reading ROOTS and I am bowled over. What a story!!! and It is SO well written. I dropped some comments on AJ's livejournal page if your interested in more of what I thought.

Outstanding!!
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.