Author Topic: Roots  (Read 41191 times)

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Roots
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2007, 12:18:36 pm »
Oh I am SO GLAD you read this milomorris! I think it's an outstanding story, too. One of the best fiction writers around. Don't know why more people aren't discussing this, it's so beautiful and loving.

What is one of the things you like about it?

cc33 / Leslie

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2007, 01:43:38 pm »

cc33 / Leslie

First, I really like AJ's style in this story. His prose is just masterful. The historical parts were intiguing. Especially the escape from Scotland.

I think what made this story hurt so much is the way AJ tells us about the hard life that both men had growing up. The idea that they are both lost souls set adrift by life and circumstances. Then they find each other. Their love blooms in such a pure, natural way. It was one fo the most tender love stories I have read in a long time.

I cried through reading Earl's murder. Then was sickened with grief to read about the fire. The horror was so complete that I got nauseous. I don't believe in schadefreude, but I do feel that as the curse was fulfilled, each man got what he deserved. I just have this nagging feeling that Ennis' sexuality and the tragedy with Jack were all part of the curse. I can't help that feeling that fate played a hand in Ennis and Jack never being able to have that sweet life together. Ennis' father took that sweet life from Rich and Earl. There was no way Ennis was going to get to live it.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2007, 07:31:06 pm »
Oh I am SO GLAD you read this milomorris! I think it's an outstanding story, too. One of the best fiction writers around. Don't know why more people aren't discussing this, it's so beautiful and loving.

cc33 / Leslie

I think there are a lot of people discussing it, just for some reason not at BM... I know almost everyone at DC loves this fic and they go through huge periods where they quote it and talk about nothing but it. I still unfortunately haven't gotten to read it, I'm in the middle of too many WIPs and am a little afraid to start it because I know how emotionally attached I get to stories that are as good as I know this one will be... esp knowing that one of the main characters will die, I have to work my way up to it.   :-\
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2007, 06:44:47 pm »
from Part 1, chapter 3b

The day took them into a long stretch of open ground into the lands around the Fremont River. Dust spiraled into the sky, stirred by Arrabal’s herd up ahead, and their own charges had to be watched like hawks for any sign of bolting. At dinner, with Tomaso and Hector by the fire, Earl felt shy of Rich and could hardly raise his eyes to the other man’s without his cheeks burning. His arms and legs seemed attached to each other by wires like a marionette’s, and every fiber of his clothing worried his skin and stirred him.
Another box canyon, considerably larger than the last, served as their evening camp, one whose breadth and lack of cover forced the watchstanders to be vigilant all the night through. Even so, there was no moment that passed in those hours that either man was unaware of precisely where the other was. Riding their vigil on the herd, their eyes sought each other like the moon pulled by the tide. The next day, spying the red hair gleaming in the sun across the river of cattle, Rich wondered, who was the moon, who the sea?
He asked the question of himself, but couldn’t answer it.

They had found a shaggy pinon whose lower boughs had broken under a recent snow, drooping to the ground, and there they found shelter and privacy. Clothes were shed and shoved to the bottom of the bedroll. Less shy on this much warmer night, Earl gloried in their increased intimacy, letting his hands wander down Rich’s bare back, unconsciously clutching, guiding.
The other man hesitated, fearful to hurt him, and brought their faces close, an unspoken question.
Earl fastened his hands around Rich’s buttocks, his silent answer, urging, then pulling him in, holding him at the spot where the pleasure was deepest. Then, beyond shame, he wriggled against the probing flesh, Rich moving, seeking, eyes asking, Here? Here? Like this? And Earl’s closing, his breaths coming in spasmodic gasps, gripping him with his loins as he went under. He felt Rich’s mouth clap over his own as the surging overwhelmed him, swallowing the cry like a diving bird’s.

All day his hunger grew, till that night when Tomaso and Hector fell finally asleep, and he boldly rode right up to Rich, needing him to answer it. They found a small overlook above the herd and spread the blanket out. Earl embraced him with such intensity that Rich drew back and cradled his cheek, soothing,
Whoa there.
He indicated the full moon above.
We got us till that theres full up agin fore we come to the Green River.
He brushed Earl’s lips with a thumb.
Aint got a do it all in one night. Plenty a time between now and then a git to know each other real well.
Earl lay back, liquid in the other man’s arms, drinking from his lips like a last-chance well.
The thought of the Green River filled him with dread. He couldn’t bring himself to ask, or even think, what happens when we cross it, what then?

Dear lord...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2007, 03:12:35 pm »
O.K. guys.This is only the best piece of fafiction ever written (can I say that?), that's all. get on the stick.

The first six chapters are full of breathing histoiry an romance; the last six chapters are full of Rage and revenge (but not your ordinary bang you're dead kind of revenge!). They also set the stage for Ennis (who makes an  apppearance--the story ends i n1952)). You can feel the author's fury.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2007, 08:53:53 pm »
Ok, I just re read that part I quoted forever ago and I'm still blown away...

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2017, 03:25:58 am »
Guys, so, i moved on to reading fanfic (is this kind of next stage of Brokeism??).
I would really love to read Roots and Widower, but seems there are not online anymore.
Where and / or how can i read these?

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2017, 01:08:09 am »
Anybody able to help?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 12:31:23 pm »
Sorry, I have no knowledge of fan fiction whereabouts, and most of the fan fiction readers aren't active here any more, but Pentheslea might be able to help you.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 01:22:30 am »
Sorry, I have no knowledge of fan fiction whereabouts, and most of the fan fiction readers aren't active here any more, but Pentheslea might be able to help you.

Sorry from me, too. I've been out of fan fiction for years and never read Roots.
Maybe you could PM Milomorris and ask if he has saved it. Just click on his user name on this thread and then hit "send member a personal message".