Author Topic: Lost Opportunities? Today's Inspiring Words for Success Through Change  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
If you've been considering doing something about the lost opportunities in your life brought out by Brokeback Mountain, here are some inspiring words and stories I am finding to keep me motivated and focused on doing something about it.  Maybe it will help you as well:

It's Never Too Late: Col. Sanders, founder of the Kentucky Fried Chicken chain, didn't achieve success until he hit 65.  His personal mottos:

• Be patient.
  • Be positive.  Why waste energy on the negative.
  • Always believe in yourself.
  • Never give up.

If you have some inspiring words to share, reply and let us all benefit from them.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Scott6373

Re: Lost Opportunities? Today's Inspiring Words for Success Through Change
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 09:43:58 am »
This may not be inspiring, but I have nevertheless found it to be absolutely essential in moving foward.  Americans hate to do this to.  We have to own responsability to the consequence of our choices.  In other words, recognize that it was no one elses choice.  No one else is to blame.  Wear this knowledge like a badge.  Stand up and say, "Yes I did screw that up".  Not until this is done can anyone hope to move forward.

Offline John Passaniti

• Town Administration
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Lost Opportunities? Today's Inspiring Words for Success Through Change
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 03:22:34 am »
This may not be inspiring, but I have nevertheless found it to be absolutely essential in moving foward.  Americans hate to do this to.  We have to own responsability to the consequence of our choices.  In other words, recognize that it was no one elses choice.  No one else is to blame.  Wear this knowledge like a badge.  Stand up and say, "Yes I did screw that up".  Not until this is done can anyone hope to move forward.

Accepting responsibility for one's own choices is fundamental and should be inspiring in this sense:  Responsibility for one's actions isn't just about accepting blame.  It's also about who ultimately has the power.  Taking responsibility is about saying, "I'm in control here," and that can be empowering.

But, I should add that sometimes others can be blamed for our choices, specifically when we are controlled or coerced.  Look at Brokeback Mountain for example.  A big part of the reason why Ennis didn't want to settle down and live with Jack was fear-- and not just some vague unspecified fear.  His fear was instilled in him by his father at a young age:  Faggots deserve to be killed.  It's similar to the fear and intimidation tactics used against blacks in the past:  Rise up against the order and expect to be lynched.  And while we're inspired by blacks who fought against such oppression, few people would blame those who didn't fight for their choice to do so.  In the same way, gays who make choices based on coercion and fear (such as staying in the closet) aren't entirely responsible for that choice.  As an example, would you blame a young gay person living in Laramie, Wyoming (where Matthew Sheppard was killed) for not making the decision to come out of the closet?

So I guess what I'm saying is that taking responsibility for one's actions is important and should be inspiring because it's empowering.  It's also important to recognize when external fear and coercion can sometimes be blamed for our choices.  And by learning to identify how others try to manipulate us, we can overcome that.

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
I like this one....

a good reminder.....to do something....

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

--From Julius Caesar (I, ii, 140-141)

hugs
Kea
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
after reading thousands of words relating to the film, it's James Schamus's that most resonate. In an interview, he said something to the effect that we may not live in the ideal world, but sometimes the way to get there is to live as if you're already there.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
that's beautiful, starboardlight.
I guess we sometimes do have to believe that we 'could paw the white out of the moon'
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'