Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 532624 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #250 on: December 07, 2006, 10:01:51 pm »
well...what can I say?

SPOILER!

Nick is not a simple person... and he has had his share of adventures.  Lance suspects he is a devirginator, seeking out inexperienced or "straight" men.  May be too early to tell?

Jeeves appears to be the predator, older, experienced, jaded...

But who is really the user?  Both?  Neither?  And what choices will Dupree make as he gets further involved?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #251 on: December 07, 2006, 10:37:28 pm »
Sounds like Lance has a case of Sour Grapes.   

It is true that Nick may be very experienced in getting his way with guys,  but look at his environment.  He is in the Navy.    And much like any straight Navy man, you find a different hook up in every port of call.      Love em and leave em.

But Nick is home now.     Not to say he didn't walk into the Red Stallion that night without the intentions of getting laid.    He surely did.     But I'd bet that he never expected to meet someone like Dupree.     Dupree isn't just some bar regular.   He is the unobtainable prize.    Not that he knew that at first.   Then he was just a piece of fine looking meat to Nick.     But now that they've gotten to know eachother Nick realizes that Jeremy is a keeper.

I don't think Nick is foolish enough to toss this guy back.     If Nick truly is considering not re-enlisting, then he may indeed want to keep courting our young detective.

Besides, if he were to break Jeremys heart,  Ennis would get an earfull which means Ellery would get an earfull and then Ellery would personally run Nick out of town on a rail.      And NONE of us wants to see that!     

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #252 on: December 07, 2006, 10:40:05 pm »
SPOILER!

Nick is not a simple person... and he has had his share of adventures.  Lance suspects he is a devirginator, seeking out inexperienced or "straight" men.  May be too early to tell?

But who is really the user?  Both?  Neither?  And what choices will Dupree make as he gets further involved?

I really really hope that Nick does NOT turn out to be a user "devirginator"..
because .. well, I'll need therapy .. I'll feel so betrayed!  lol.. seriously..!
So tread softly on that one Louise ..  8)

(Not that I think Nick's intentions right now are not completely honest, mind you .. I have also fallen for him, me and Jeremy alike .. :P )
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 10:44:43 pm by Lucise »

Offline David

« Reply #253 on: December 07, 2006, 10:54:36 pm »
(Not that I think Nick's intentions right now are not completely honest, mind you .. I have also fallen for him, me and Jeremy alike .. :P )

Waaaa!   He hasn't even broken Jeremys heart yet and here I am crying!    :'(

Offline RonitR

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #254 on: December 08, 2006, 05:42:31 am »
well...what can I say?

SPOILER!

God, I am just LOVING this!!

Jeeves ?  never thought he might still be in the game.

Nick? never crossed my mind he may be too good to be true (though now I think about it...).

I love constantly being one step behind, it keeps the surprises coming.. ;D

Offline RonitR

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2006, 05:51:29 am »

Poor old Jeeves - it was so sad when he described himself as a widower reduced to picking up young men in bars  :(

The "Jeeves" chapter was difficult for me to read. I think its because it contained such an honest, stark depiction of jealousy, and of feeling like the "loser" (my personal  interpretation only).
Writers often try to "gloss –over" the not-so-pleasant  emotions, to try any make them more palatable . Louise, I think, did the opposite – she didn't pull any punches and kept it real. The result ( IMHO) was very honest, and very powerful

Offline caramelle58

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #256 on: December 08, 2006, 06:18:46 am »
Nick too good to be true ? What was he doing then in front of his mirror, wondering if some secret flaws in his appearance could be responsible for Dupree choosing Paula as his date instead of him. This is not the behaviour of a coldly calculating heartbreaker. The young sailor is quite experienced, but can we hold this against him ? In my opinion, Dupree is the "odd" one, a virgin in one way and a beginner in the other way  - he just didn't have time and opportunities to learn more about sex and love.

I have a gut feeling, Nick had a few encounters with men - and I don't blame him. His young, he is brave enough to accept his gayness and why shouldn't he enjoy himself. Still, meeting and getting together with Dupree must have been something special. Otherwise he would have been off to this other queer bar across the border on sunday night, chasing some fresh meat while Dupree was on his date with the A.D.A. I trust Nick, he may want too much from his lover but he isn't bad news.

What I like very much about the Laramie Tales is the variety of character. It's a nice touch to let as look into the heads of Paula and Jeeves, feeling rather sorry for the englishman - although he still isn't my favourite person. I do like Paula and hope she finds it in her heart, to be friends with those gay men who - sadly - don't qualify as partner- material for her   ;)

Can't wait to know, how the stories go on. I pray the men and women from Laramie are very active in Louise's imagination and drive her to keep on writing (and "feed" us, the hungry hordes  :laugh:)

Caramelle

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #257 on: December 08, 2006, 06:20:10 am »

I really really hope that Nick does NOT turn out to be a user "devirginator"..
because .. well, I'll need therapy .. I'll feel so betrayed!  lol.. seriously..!
So tread softly on that one Louise ..  8)

I am *so* with you on this one, Milli  :(

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #258 on: December 08, 2006, 06:38:55 am »
Mmmmm... all thought provoking posts.

I've got the feeling that the Nick/Jeremy/Jeeves situation isn't as cut and dried as it seems.

Nick and Jeremy have passion (in bucketloads), but Jeeves and Jeremy had friendship.

Maybe Nick will leave, go back to the Navy, and something will grow slowly between Jeeves and Jeremy.

Lots of maybes  ;D

Karen

Offline David

« Reply #259 on: December 08, 2006, 07:25:43 am »
OK  Sampsonites, we need to direct positive thoughts to Louise about Nicky.     I think we need to see the boys enjoy a nice long courtship.     What better person to introduce your nervous parents to when you come-out than a nice looking, ex Army, Junior Police Detective.    Not a Doctor, but surely respectable enough for Mom and Dad, yes?

It is way too premature for us to already be mourning the departure of said Sailor just because Lance is jealous their is a new prized cock in the henhouse.