Author Topic: Congrats to Maggie on her Golden Globe nomination!  (Read 3058 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Congrats to Maggie on her Golden Globe nomination!
« on: December 14, 2006, 12:13:14 pm »
Maggie G. was nominated for Best Actress - Drama for "Sherrybaby."  YAY!

Here's a link to the full list of nominees.

http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2007/globes

Kind of annoying that it's presented as "The Road to Oscar"  ::), considering I'll never give a flying fig about them again, nor should anyone, IMO.  But I'm still gonna get excited about the Golden Globes, the BAFTAs, and the Independent Spirit Awards every year.  Until they piss me off, of course.  :)

I've seen most of the movies nominated - just haven't seen "Babel," "Bobby," "Dreamgirls," or "Little Children" yet.  Probably won't see the first two in that list because they just don't look that good to me, and the other two haven't come out here yet.

I can't believe it's "Award Season" already.  Where did the time go?  Oh yeah - it must have flown by all those times I was watching my favorite movie again.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Congrats to Maggie on her Golden Globe nomination!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:28:40 pm »
I can't believe it's "Award Season" already.  Where did the time go?  Oh yeah - it must have flown by all those times I was watching my favorite movie again.

I was watching the noms and was very nostalgic as well, remembering waiting with bated breath for BBM to be nominated and knowing I could run to my computer after each and instantly discuss the noms, lack of noms and chances of a win with everyone.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 01:54:00 pm »
I saw BABEL at a film festival and was far more impressed by THE QUEEN.  Didn't see anything special about Babel.

I  agree with your comments about IMDB hyping THE ROAD TO OSCAR.  I hope OSCAR's ratings really tank this year. Maybe they will nominate the Pirate's movie to motive some interest in this year's Academy Awards.  Johnny Depp for B.A.   Well, I think he had a few lines in the film.  Mostly facial expressions.

Babel has done terrible at the b.o., given whose in the film.   Bobby didn't go anywhere at the b.o. either.  I didn't see Bobby, but the premise didn't intrigue me.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 02:10:24 pm »
I saw BABEL at a film festival and was far more impressed by THE QUEEN.  Didn't see anything special about Babel.

I  agree with your comments about IMDB hyping THE ROAD TO OSCAR.  I hope OSCAR's ratings really tank this year. Maybe they will nominate the Pirate's movie to motive some interest in this year's Academy Awards.  Johnny Depp for B.A.   Well, I think he had a few lines in the film.  Mostly facial expressions.

Babel has done terrible at the b.o., given whose in the film.   Bobby didn't go anywhere at the b.o. either.  I didn't see Bobby, but the premise didn't intrigue me.

Totally agree, KD.  Babel and Bobby have both tanked, for what it's worth, at my local theaters.  Both only opened about a month ago and have already been relegated to the 7:00 p.m. only show time.  Meanwhile, The Departed opened, like, three months ago and still has a full compliment of showings *and* is still playing at the "Upper Level" of our one extremely ritzy theater (you pay twice the price for a ticket but get a reserved love-seat/recliner type thingie and there's a full bar and restaurant up there, too).  That's the longest run of any movie up there since Brokeback, which played up there from January 6 until April 19 this past year.

I would say The Departed is overall the best movie I've seen since Brokeback.  I really enjoyed The Queen, too, but I would give it 3 stars whereas I'd give The Departed 3 1/2.  I haven't seen any four-stars yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing if The Good Shepherd or The History Boys changes that.
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 03:25:59 pm »
I would say The Departed is overall the best movie I've seen since Brokeback.  I really enjoyed The Queen, too, but I would give it 3 stars whereas I'd give The Departed 3 1/2.  I haven't seen any four-stars yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing if The Good Shepherd or The History Boys changes that.

Oh I so agree! The Departed was the first really good movie since Brokeback for me too. It kept me at the edge of my seat and it made me think that Brokeback might not have ruined my whole movie-going experience for good.  ;D

Congrats dear Maggie!!!!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 03:41:53 pm »
Yeah, congratulations Maggie!  :D

I haven't seen any of the best picture nominees yet but I certainly plan to. And, of course, I'm very pleased that "Das Leben der Anderen" (= The Lives of Others) got nominated in the category "Best Foreign Language Film". This movie is really very good and won practically all the important awards in Germany this year as well as "Best Picture" at the European Film Awards.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Sherrybaby DVD Release
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 11:30:57 am »
Just saw a blurb saying 'Sherrybaby' is now available on DVD:

"Sherrybaby" (2006, Visual, R, $28) -- A recovering heroin addict (never-better Maggie Gyllenhaal) returns home from prison with hopes of reconnecting with her daughter (Ryan Simpkins).

Set amidst the squalor of half-way houses and parole offices, Laurie Collyer's low-budget drama is as raw, messy and devastating as real life.

The extras: none.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."