Author Topic: Celebrating the Winter Solstice  (Read 298706 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Celebrating the Winter Solstice
« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2015, 12:20:10 pm »
OH, I've definitely noticed a difference here.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2015, 12:49:44 pm »
I'll be so happy when I notice it here!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2015, 02:55:21 pm »
Just give it time.  The light is staying here longer each day.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2015, 02:22:54 pm »
Yup. Should be noticable in a week or so. Can't wait!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2015, 10:51:10 am »
You're right. I don't particularly like the weather we have here most of the time, but I'm used to it and know how to deal with it.

And this is where my home is, an important factor.

That second sentence stopped me for a moment. For a second I thought, well how nice, she feels so deeply at home where she lives now that she wouldn't consider moving.

Then I realized -- duh! takes me a while sometimes -- that it wouldn't be that easy for you to move to a completely different climate. I'm constantly daydreaming about moving to some warmer state, and really the only thing that stops me is that I don't have work anywhere warm and most of my friends and family are here. But I have some f & f in Colorado, which is warmER, and Louisiana, which is actually too warm, so those places are possibilities. And even if I wanted to move to, say, Arizona, where I know no one, it wouldn't be a huge deal. I could eventually find work, I speak the language, etc. -- I could just move there and hope to adjust. So it's a lot easier than moving from, say, Sweden to Spain.

I guess that's a little compensation for not having national health care and paid parental leave and all of the other advantages that you Eurobrokies have.

I have a friend who lived here in MInnesota then sold everything she owned and moved to San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. She sounds like she has a lot of fun and the idea is tempting, but I probably wouldn't do it because, like you, I feel this country is my home.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #165 on: January 31, 2015, 02:57:46 pm »
I'm constantly daydreaming about moving to some warmer state, and really the only thing that stops me is that I don't have work anywhere warm and most of my friends and family are here.

I hear a lot of people say that.....I don't think that's something I could ever do, I like the change of seasons too much.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2015, 05:46:34 pm »
I hear a lot of people say that.....I don't think that's something I could ever do, I like the change of seasons too much.

Having spent almost all of my life in some of the most extreme climates in the country -- Minneapolis, Duluth, New Orleans -- I feel like I could pretty easily live without season changes at this point. So if someone offered me a job and a condo in San Luis Obispo I'd take them up on it. But my ideal climate would be somewhere sort of in the middle, like Virginia or Maryland, where there's winter but it's mild.

If I could just pick anywhere in the country to live -- and friends and family and job weren't issues -- I would pick Norfolk, Va. The climate is mild, it's on the ocean and whenever you refer to your city you get to say "fuck."

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #167 on: February 01, 2015, 05:48:57 pm »
The climate is mild, it's on the ocean and whenever you refer to your city you get to say "fuck."

:laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #168 on: February 01, 2015, 08:47:39 pm »
But my ideal climate would be somewhere sort of in the middle, like Virginia or Maryland, where there's winter but it's mild.

So-called mild winters just annoy me. Or, I should specify, I'm taking mild to mean rain for precipitation rather than snow. I've had enough of that right here in the mid-Atlantic, gloomy, gray, damp, rainy weather that goes on for-ever, with the temperature in the 30s F but not cold enough for snow. I like a winter that's a real winter--but with a summer that's mild and not stinkin' hot.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2015, 11:56:41 am »
So-called mild winters just annoy me. Or, I should specify, I'm taking mild to mean rain for precipitation rather than snow.

Actually I meant mild by Minnesota standards. So, a little snow, high temps mostly in the high 20s and 30s and maybe 40s, with occasional dips into the teens. A 50-degree day would be uncommon but not surprising. And winter ends by March or so.

Or even mild like Denver, where it can get bitterly cold and blizzardy but then be in the 50s or even 70s the following week.

As opposed to Minneapolis, where last year we had something like 29 days in a row with temps below zero, by January the snowbank on my driveway was above my head and to shovel it I had to heave snow six feet in the air, and Ground Hog Day (which is today, BTW) is a joke because there's almost always six more weeks of winter.

This winter is much better -- high temps in January mostly hovered around 30 and there's a drought so although there's snow on the ground it's not deep. But this is an unusual year.

But the sun's out today so I guess winter's going to continue through at least mid-March.