Author Topic: Timeline following Lake Scene?  (Read 5499 times)

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Timeline following Lake Scene?
« on: December 18, 2006, 08:56:03 pm »
Hello, I realize this may be old territory - if so, please just point me in the direction of a thread that may already discuss this....but, since seeing BBM for the first time one week ago - one question (of many) haunts me....

-What is the conjectured time of the year at the Lake Scene? What I'm really asking is how many months was Jack deceased before Ennis came to know of it?
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

moremojo

Re: Timeline following Lake Scene?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 11:17:26 pm »
I don't have the published screenplay in front of me right now, but I'm pretty sure that the Lake Scene is set in 1983, before August ("Whatever happened to August?") It doesn't look bitterly cold, so I'm assuming that the sequence takes place in the spring. Ennis gets his postcard returned before November, the month of the hopeful, deferred rendezvous, and learns that not only has Jack died, but that his body has been cremated and a stone set up in Texas. Clearly months have passed, but exactly how many is unclear.

Again, I'm culling this from memory, without the aid of the published screenplay. Still, I hope it is of some help.

injest

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:59:28 pm »
according to the book the lake scene took place in May of 83...and the postcard had to have been in October...and at that point Jack had been dead long enough for several months to go by...so he died sometime in late May, June or July...

injest

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 12:05:26 am »
the interesting thing to me is how long he waited before he went up to the Twist's for the ashes...in the movie it seems he went right away...but in the book, it says no..he went the following spring...

injest

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 12:06:57 am »
it also says that after he went to the Twists is when Jack started appearing in his dreams...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 12:09:45 am »
Scott, with all due respect, I'll add a few things with my copy of Story to Screenplay in front of me.

As published in Story to Screenplay, the screenplay dates the confrontation at the lake simply as 1981, with no month attached.

This is a significant difference from Annie Proulx, who in the story clearly places Ennis and Jack's last trip into the mountains in May 1983.

The published screenplay places the scene of Ennis reading the postcard outside the Riverton post office in 1982, again with no month attached to it.

The November mentioned in the text of Ennis's postcard clearly must be the same November they were arguing about at the lake. And this is why I personally pay no never-mind to those dates in the screenplay. I don't think it makes sense for the the two scenes, the confrontation at the lake and Ennis reading the postcard, to have taken place in two different years.

Somewhat allowing the story to inform my understanding of the film here, I take it that in the film the final camping trip and confrontation took place in May 1981. I'm guessing that after Ennis's collapse and before he drove away, they somehow made up and Jack agreed to meet Ennis in November (considering the text of the postcard, maybe Ennis agreed to try--but ultimately failed--to get away in August after all). I take it that Jack dies sometime in the summer of 1981, and Ennis gets his postcard back in, say, maybe October of 1981.

Just my POV.  :)

Almost as an aside I'll also say that I'm not happy that the movie, according to the published screenplay, kills off Jack two years earlier than Annie Proulx did in the story. In the script, Jack speaks about the few times he and Ennis have been together in "nearly twenty years," whereas in the story he says, exactly, "twenty years." In other words, in the story, the final trip into the mountains is a good, round, twenty years, after they met at Joe Aguirre's office in 1963.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 12:11:17 am »
I think the lake scene was the spring of the year Jack died, so May would fit. They probably met about the same time every year.

I think Ennis went to the Twists soon after he found out about Jack. "Can't eat eat no cake just yet..."

Mark
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 12:14:04 am »
Scott, with all due respect, I'll add a few things with my copy of Story to Screenplay in front of me.
 :)

Almost as an aside I'll also say that I'm not happy that the movie, according to the published screenplay, kills off Jack two years earlier than Annie Proulx did in the story. In the script, Jack speaks about the few times he and Ennis have been together in "nearly twenty years," whereas in the story he says, exactly, "twenty years." In other words, in the story, the final trip into the mountains is a good, round, twenty years, after they met at Joe Aguirre's office in 1963.
Remember Jack says at the lake " The few times we've been together in nearly 20 years..." So i'm sticking with 1983.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 12:33:45 am by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

injest

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 12:14:24 am »
I think the lake scene was the spring of the year Jack died, so May would fit. They probably met about the same time every year.

I think Ennis went to the Twists soon after he found out about Jack. "Can't eat eat no cake just yet..."

Mark

you talking book or movie?? in the movie it did seem to happen right away...but in the book it was the following spring

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 12:21:08 am »
you talking book or movie?? in the movie it did seem to happen right away...but in the book it was the following spring
The movie. Although  in the film nobody bothered much with dates at all. When Junior mention her marrage of June 5, in  1984 that was a Tuesday.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 12:34:48 am by jpwagoneer1964 »