Author Topic: Why does Jack....?  (Read 4990 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Why does Jack....?
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 11:04:20 am »
Before Jack says, "I miss you so much, I can hardly stand it"......he says "Truth is", then there is a long long pause.......

Why does he think so long before he says it.....was he actually gonna tell him the truth about him and Randall, or was he just thinking about whether he should say something so strong about his feelings?

Actually there are two pauses. He says: "Tell you what..... Truth is....sometimes I miss you [...]"

The first time I saw the movie I was sure he's about to say that it isn't the foreman's wife he is seeing. I held my breath in anticipation of it and Ennis' reaction.

I think he wanted to say much more, to speak the bigger truth: it's not the foreman's wife I'm seeing and I know why you didn't marry again and I just want us to stop pretending something that isn't true.
They were both pretending during this conversation - and they both knew it.
But Jack also knew Ennis was not ready for it. And so he went for the "smaller" and easier solution and spoke only a part of the truth.
The rest came out the next day in anger. Ennis' cancellation of August was the last straw to send Jack over the edge and he didn't hold back anymore.

Edit: I forgot to post a new question. Why does Jack not say anything more after Ennis says "I guess I'll see you around."
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 06:46:50 pm by Penthesilea »